April '09- 1,000 plus miles w/ RS 35cc....

I am originally from Spartanburg, S.C. but now live in Florida. Wave at that place as you go by. The old Hwy. 29 in that area, may be the road you are looking to ride. ENJOY & be safe. A lot of crime in that area.

I am originally from Spartanburg, S.C. but now live in Florida. Wave at that place as you go by. The old Hwy. 29 in that area, may be the road you are looking to ride. ENJOY & be safe. A lot of crime in that area.

Hey Esteban !

I cross into SC from Toccoa GA to Westminster SC.

Westminster or Seneca give me an option, a northern scenic loop on that Cherokee National Foothills Highway (a lot of small towns, better carry my gas)....

OR Seneca-Clemson-Easley then a northeasterly loop toward Chesnee, where I can aim for Shelby NC....

Do you know anything about the Cherokee Scenic Hwy?

Is it just hills and dales or are there mountains to conquer?

It looks like if I change my mind on that scenic route, there are plenty of ways of heading east-southeast and get back into flatter ground.

My recollection is the real mountain-y area begins north of Brevard NC.

Attachments

• southcarolina.jpg
    southcarolina.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 416
I sent you a PM.

Posting Esteban's excellent PM, cuz it has lots of possibilities:

Esteban said:
Bama,

I know all that area very, very well.

The Cherokee Trail, HWY 11 is a beautiful ride .

Walhalla is an interesting little town,. There is a park there called Oconee Station that is historical, & across the street & up a very short distance, is a parking area on the left. It has a nature trail & it goes back to a pretty waterfall. Turn around to come back toward town to get on Hwy #11.

NOTE , this hwy has some long steep hills & no bike lanes. There are gas stations here & they & not too far apart . Super friendly people in the area.

Lake Jocassee exit is to the left & it takes you to a beautiful lake & campground. There are plenty of places on each side of #11 where you could pull over, hide yourself & bike, & camp. Just look for old unused road beds , driveways.

A few places on the right are adjacent to a pretty large creek. Table Rock State Park is another pretty area. So is Glassy Mountain, but no access =$$$$$ homes, & I have relatives from the 1800's buried up on it in small private cemetaries.

Near Cleveland the road gets more level & populated. Just before Cleveland, if you wish, you can turn left on #276 for more scenic mountain views. If you stay on #11, it is pretty nice & wide open til you get to Campobello. If you are old enough, you might remember the awful song, " Camp-beller, My Home Far-Away." You could turn L there, on #176 & go over the old Saluda Grade !

Beautiful area with steep, winding , less traveled road that goes to Tryon, N.C. Very historical hwy. If you stayed on #11, at Campobello, you would go straight to get to Chesnee. Campobello to Chesnee area is not very pretty at all.

I just got back from the shop/taking a test ride....this thing is starting to look like the hobo express, blue coffee cans dangling under the seat, kiddie sleep pad/scrapbook behind the seats back, bent shelf over the front basket....

I have another wire rack atop the black diaper bag (containing my spare gas), and when I drape my blue poncho over the seat and that rack, it hides the engine !

A stealthy blue hobo bomber.

I'll diary the expenses per day, but one campfire project will be physically counting the zip ties, because I just bought another pack of 100 !!

Rucio is still her name, Sancho Panza's bony donkey. In Don Quixote, Sancho Panza rides a donkey he refers to as "my rucio" or "the rucio", an elegant (and ironic) designation of the texture of the animal's fur.

(Phil, the owner of a great bar, Sancho's in Denver, named my red cruiser Rocinante, Quixote's noble nag)...

Note to loquin, I put the second flag on yesterday !

1. I think, if it rains, I can ride with that poncho covering the seat, so the foam doesn't get wet, zip tie it away from the exhaust.

2. The new rack put on a few minutes ago, light weight stuff, for like my rain suit.

3. Scrapbook/kiddie pad tucked behind my seat

4. 3rd piece of shelving bent over basket, where the air mattress, fleece blankets will be inside, and something could be lashed on top.

5. Maxwell House sock and underwear storage units.

Still have to stash tools, spare tubes/belt, maybe a fifth & sixth bottle holder tied to the trapper keeper....I'm getting hesitant to have too much weight on the front handlebars, BUT the long chain is interfering with my plan to tie stuff under the frame....

Attachments

• hoboexpress 001.jpg
    hoboexpress 001.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 458
  • hoboexpress 002.jpg
    hoboexpress 002.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 446
  • hoboexpress 003.jpg
    hoboexpress 003.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 447
  • hoboexpress 006.jpg
    hoboexpress 006.jpg