Are 2 strokes worth the trouble?

BilalCarroll

Local time
4:30 AM
So i am new to this website btw. Anyway i have had a 2 stroke engine kit on my bicycle for a while now and have had a multitude of issue's (despite putting it together properly). It will run fun for a while then just s**t on me again. i had recently tried changing the spark plug; When i tried to start it up again it just would not start. i have had issues like: the carb needle, the carb in general, fuel air mixture, replaced a multitude of parts. I mean hell with the money i have spent on this one kit i could have bought a whole new one! *sigh* maybe i just got a lemon. all in all is continuing to mess with a 2 stroke worth it or should i just get a 4 stroke?
:mad::(

Once I leaned it out the only problem I've had is dying CDIs.

nothing wrong with 2-strokes except one needs to take time to read about them here and understand what one reads - rare that anyone would need to buy a part for one, but lots of people buy lots of parts because they just don't understand what is needed

With a good kit to start with they can be pretty reliable and I've built a bunch (65+ http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=2-stroke&Drive=All), but even a good 2-stroke is still a dirty, finicky machine that needs special gas, and requires you to pedal to start it so I have been working mostly with 4-strokes.

Clean, runs on regular gas for years, and has a pull start.

It truly is "different strokes for different folks"!
I like the power and lightweight of a 2 stroke bike.
I used to hate 2 strokes (hard starting, dirty) until I learned how to live with them.
Good oil, mixed as thin as possible (32:1 in this case), a plug every now and then, and a good air filter.

Yeah they are worth it! My bike rips and I can lift it over a fence easily. Love it!

Steve

I'm 70 and I can pick up a 2-stroke bike with one hand - also, I refuse to ride anything with centrifugal clutch.

I'm 70 and I can pick up a 2-stroke bike with one hand - also, I refuse to ride anything with centrifugal clutch.
Ya, it's kind of an age thing for men having a manual clutch, most everything I drove had one for years, like my '67 Firebird convertible ( a real chick magnet), jeeps, trucks, etc... But I am happier now with auto trans which is pretty much a cent clutch is, no lever.

Last edited:
I used to be into 4wd off-roading.
As a macho guy, I loved my clutch and stick shift and how much superior it was to an automatic.
While arguing one day, a buddy said: "Look at yer feet. 2 feet, 3 pedals, you figgar it out...."

Can't argue with that...

Steve

I run autotrans in car, but it doesn't try to jump out from under me when in park or neutral.

Back