Are {img} tags necessary?

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by AussieSteve, Jul 1, 2010.

1. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

augidog raised a good point in his 'My Long Ride' thread.
    He's on a mobile and mentioned that inline images are a pain, compared to thumbnails.
    Many people will be accessing the site via mobile and the numbers will only grow.
    Just wondering how necessary inline images are, considering there are thumbnails below the posts for attachments.
    Can {img} tags be turned off, or will there be other side-effects?

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

This has been an ongoing issue. People posting images with the img tag, linking them to images hosted elsewhere, and then those outside hosts go down, and we are left with threads with no images.

We have looked into ways to have the img tag turned off, but can't really find a good solution. Also, if we turned the img tag off, we would screw up thousands of previously posted threads.
  3. augidog

augidog Banned

which leaves the issue in the hands of the me it's a matter of consideration amd mutual respect...and, honestly, i don't think that's too much to ask for...thanks in advance :cool:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Good points all. My technical ignorance may show here, but here it goes anyway....I can turn on and off the small thumbnail pic. Is there a way to do it with the tags? On a netbook it is a pain to scroll past endless pictures to get to the text. Or limit tags to a number per post, instead of having posts with 5 to 10 tags.
    A picture is worth a thounsand words, but that just makes them 1,000 times more irritating when you are just trying to follow the text.
  5. AussieSteve

Maybe a suggestion at the top of each section similar to the 'Search Before Posting', or in the 'Mission Statement', asking members to limit inline images.
  6. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

It is there in the rules that are agreed to when signing up:
    7. Use IMG tags appropriately. Don't overuse IMG tags (we have people on dial-up) and never use IMG tags on a picture that is wider than 800px or larger than 1mb.

Maybe this rule needs to be more visible.
  7. AussieSteve

Yep. I read the mission statement when I joined, but forgot that I'd ever seen that rule.
  8. augidog

augidog Banned

steve...have you noticed yet that noone even reads this area anyways, so it's all just a waste of keystrokes?

all peeps are interested in is getting to that "new thread" button as fast as they can...
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  9. AussieSteve

No problem - I won't bother again.
  10. augidog

augidog Banned

shoot, did i accidentally offend you with my vague rant? didn't mean to, i for one appreciate you care enuff to try...dam shame the lack of group-effort to keep MBc clean & smooth eh?
  11. AussieSteve

No, not at all - I meant that I won't bother with this section any more. Never makes any difference anyway.
  12. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Why is this an issue?

Uncheck "Show Images"

Problem solved. Don't ruin it for the rest of us that would rather see the images instead of having 20 windows open or having to go to a new screen every time when on a cel-phone.
  13. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

For review....

The main issue I have is with lost pictures. The host servers are gone or have lost them. Since you seem to have a handle on navigating the site, thumbnails can be displayed in the same way, and there is no chance for content to be lost. That way we can all enjoy them for ever, instead of untill someone else has problems.
    For example:

Look at the first post. His pics are gone. I have asked and he is looking for copies so that it can be put back. But if they are not found, wouldn't it irritate you that you cannot see them?

PS I have and always had Show images unchecked and they are still there? Could someone explain this?
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

I figured it out. It applies to thumbnails. So the point that cavi brought up does prove my point that if thumbnails were used then the choice would be in our hands.
  15. augidog

augidog Banned

the "issue" is that MBc has been considerately setup for everyone to enjoy, it merely requires group-effort...clickable thumbnails doesn't destroy it for anyone, so a new window opens. deal with it. you still have it better than i do when a thread is trying to load 10 pics per post, if i can read it and open pics as i need, i can play too...disabling image-tags removes the thumbnails too so it's not a solution...and knowing that, do you still take the same stance?

some folks 'round here have put a lot into this place, i am one of them, and other folks are being asked to work towards a consistant format, which is a beauty arrangement...small price to pay, showing some appreciation, membership-pride ain't bad motivation either...and it feels good too.

thanking you in advance :)
  16. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

An example of my point:
    so you can see....if you will toggle the image option, this will change. It does not affect the IMG pics for some reason.

here is a comparison pic:

So tell me how does it work for you?

From my basic understanding greater things can be done that what I have just demonstrated......but yet in our results now world and sacrifice of quality over quantity, I may lose this argument.

Attached Files:

17. graucho

graucho Active Member

Augi if your still reading this thread...
    I think this thread is one of those that will never be agreed upon.
    I for one like the tags. But AussieSteve and yourself bring up an excellent
    point. I use the tags on many forums, yet I don't want to be part of the problem.
    Since your out on the road using a cell I've included 4 tagged images that i've altered to
    see if your able to view them on your cell in a quick manner. I'm also trying to keep
    them "good" quality. If this works, I'm going to save all of my image tagged images like
    this from now on. I've purchased a stripped down version of photoshop to help with my
    web image's capabilities. Thanks for your response, If you don't mind i can redo the test
    until we find a winner. Then I can then explain what I did to educate others for future
    reference. Thanks.

18. augidog

augidog Banned

thanks for the input, guys...graucho i've always enjoyed your groups' work. i've viewed this on the mobile, we'll continue the discussion with my feedback from van's IP later this evening.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  19. augidog

augidog Banned

having viewed your marvelous demo with mobile & pc, something came to me that i may not have been clear on before...that i LIKE the high-res pics.

the only way i can enjoy what you're trying to show me (in my reader's opinion) is if i can peruse the post and manipulate the image for best possible view when i'm ready to see it. then i don't care about the large picture...when my browser opens a clickable thumb, i can work with the image, including limited zooming. if an image is inside the topic, not only am i deprived of optimal viewing of your content, the content itself becomes a nuisance in that it takes longer to load a page and the page may be distorted by oversize images.

that is my case, i prefer the quality but need your help getting to it. however, the image size you used above was ok on mobile tho admittedly lowered quality. and i would simply ask you to use the smallest filesize available if this is the method you decide to go with.

yaknow what? doggone it i sure appreciate the feedback and member collaboration, graucho...after all, an effective forum is just another handy tool we have to make this all easier and better for everyone, and we all know we all need all the help we can get, eh?

the more you know:
    for a slick "publication" you can place a forum-hosted clickable thumb almost anywhere test4.jpg !

i brought one of your sample images in via pasting the url into the attachment management window, then using the "manage attachments" dropdown :)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  20. AussieSteve

Inline Thumbnails

That Works2.jpg well!

Thanks for the tip Augie.

(I guess I am bothering with this section after all.)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010