Tubes Are 'Slime' tubes worth the extra money?

Well like I mentioned mine is not clogged my gauges work fine . I don't get flats ever.. Must be because your on the other side of the world. Which way does the water spiral when you flush the commode?

The smart tubes must be paper thin tubes? Why I ask is because my tires are riddled with Goat Heads . Lots of them tiny holes! Got thousands of them! More than I can express for comprehension sake. Its the darnedest thing tires is aired up working perfectly .. On five different bikes at the moment , and all these years for me without a hitch.

I did not call anyone a fool. I implied if foolish enough what to expect.
If that slime is good enough to clog up your valve core? Why not a pin hole? Not getting the whole story here?

All it takes is one person V it one time to trigger the valve core pointing down and gauges etc will give issues. Just pull the core out with the tool and clean it up once all will be fine. I promise you!
Or in the least you are not able to trigger the valve core with the gauge ,or pump which I don't think is likely [are they presta valves?]. To clog up your gauges and pump means quit literally pumping slime directly into them seriously..

In your post you gave no mention of your other tires not reading the pressure gauge or said pump.........

Sorry you are not happy with it. [shrugs]

Last edited:
re: 52xcorncob on FS mountain bike. What do you eat? :) Cheers to your health.

Just get good carbs in protein etc. Eat like Jack Lalanne. FYI the ultra small touring bike tires are more unforgiving. I stick with the heavy duty stuff 26x2.7 tires are my favorite. There so much smoother!

Must be because your on the other side of the world. Which way does the water spiral when you flush the commode?

That's probably it.

The smart tubes must be paper thin tubes? Why I ask is because my tires are riddled with Goat Heads . Lots of them tiny holes! Got thousands of them! More than I can express for comprehension sake. Its the darnedest thing tires is aired up working perfectly .. On five different bikes at the moment , and all these years for me without a hitch.

Maybe it is this 'SmartTube' brand that's rubbish and not all slime, although the valve stem thing is a pain. Maybe my valve leaks slightly and the slime is sealing it.
Still, as I mentioned, the very first pinhole had to be patched because the slime didn't work. That's put me off.

If that slime is good enough to clog up your valve core? Why not a pin hole? Not getting the whole story here?

What do you mean by 'Not getting the whole story'? That's all there is to it. Within days of fitting the tube, a pinhole that the slime wouldn't seal. This was on the rear wheel of my electric bike, so I even leaned it on the stand and gave it full throttle to spin the wheel and help it seal. I was surprised when I pulled the tube out and saw just how small the hole was.
The other part - when I added some pressure the other day, immediately afterthe gauge read about 100psi, (the compressor's pressure), when the tyre actually had about 30psi in it. That's when I tried the hand-held gauge and it read 0psi, as I said.
You tell me why???

All it takes is one person V it one time to trigger the valve core pointing down and gauges etc will give issues.

As I said, it's never happened. I read the box when I installed the tube and followed the instructions.

In your post you gave no mention of your other tires not reading the pressure gauge or said pump.........

All my other tyres are fine with both the gauge on the compressor pump and the hand-held gauge. In total I have 4, one slime tube, one HD thornproof and two standard tubes, all with Schrader type valves. Only the slime tube gives trouble.

What do you mean by 'Not getting the whole story'? That's all there is to it. Within days of fitting the tube, a pinhole that the slime wouldn't seal. This was on the rear wheel of my electric bike, so I even leaned it on the stand and gave it full throttle to spin the wheel and help it seal. I was surprised when I pulled the tube out and saw just how small the hole was.
The other part - when I added some pressure the other day, immediately afterthe gauge read about 100psi, (the compressor's pressure), when the tyre actually had about 30psi in it. That's when I tried the hand-held gauge and it read 0psi, as I said.
You tell me why??? [/QUOTE]

That's it! The slime tube was not a Heavy Duty Thorn Proof tube. Guaranteed to be worthless! When airing up a thin walled tube pin holes are extremely unforgiving You mentioned that you were leaning the bike on a stand while running it? Was the hole on the side? Any ways I don't recall ever finding a preslimed tube that was Thorn resistant. [heavy duty leather thick] Also the preslimed tubes have less slime in them than my custom Thorn proof jobbers.

Over all you will be happier with Thorn Proof tubes. The paper thin tubes to me are just junk. Well they do make a good road side repair in emergency!

Sorry about your luck with the shraider plugging up. Might remove it clean it up once then soap check it?

One of these days i figure out how the multi quote thing works? [shrugs again]

Last edited:
Goat Herder said:
That's it! The slime tube was not a Heavy Duty Thorn Proof tube.

Far from heavy-duty. It was a p i s s y little thin thing. The thorn-proof tube doesn't have slime.
My 2-stroke bike has never had a flat in 500km, despite having the original thin tubes. I've had 3 on the electric in about 600km and 2 of those were pinch flats. That's why I run 50psi on both bikes now and check pressures regularly.

That's what Goat Herder is trying to say:

You have to buy the Thorn Proof extra thick tubes, and a bottle of Slime. Put the Slime in there by taking out the valve core with a tool first. Carry the tool or if you can save the Green valve-tool caps from the wasted "slime" thin tubes, use those. There are some metal ones availabe too from auto-parts stores. Those are even better.

One way to prevent Slime from getting in your air chuck is to use a metal Valve Extender (1") like what is made for custom car wheels and towing trucks.

I haven't tried the TP tube/slime combo on a bike, but it (slime) seems to work on lawnmower tires.

I had one of the slime tubes explode on me when i was blowing it up at a gas station air compressor pump(it was all i had)to find out were the hole was at before i patched it. I looked like Ecto from the ghost busters with all that green **** on me. I do not buy tubes that have anything inside of them anymore if i don't have too. They are a monkey mess to patch.

I did however today see the new Slime Tire Liners that fit on the inside of the tire, and run between the tire and tube. They were very inexpensive. You could get 2 for $9.99. Not sure how good they are, or if they are even comparable to the Mr. Tuffy Tire liners.

Anyone know? Would love to hear.

Thanks,

re: Ecto plasma.
hahahhahahha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QbhfbLUtQs
"You can't do that on television"

re: tire liners. I looked for online reviews. Some people complained the liners cut their tubes. I wonder if they installed them wrong, ran low air pressure, or were JRA and ran over 6" deep potholes.

I bet they work fine. Maybe you should glue them to the tire though, so they don't move over like crappy rim strips do.

Tyre Guardian Its what we use on motorcycles for adventure riding. Check out there website. some youtube videos on it as well.

Back