Are there alternatives to the Nirve Vintage headlamp?

I was afraid that's what you were talking about. I ordered something off eBay from Thailand, lets see if it gets here. I also ordered a 3W Cree LED and 3 solar cells. I'm going to make a little battery box with 4AA batteries and the solar cells on the top so hopefully I can get away with never having to charge the batteries. It's one thing I hate about my current lights, always having to recharge batteries.

Understood- There's been a couple of threads about tricklecharging a 6 volt system thru a 'schotsky' (sp?) diode to push an LED system, and it seems like they work... I have recently found a site where there's an article regarding the mathmatics involved in creating an LED light system (Pipe Bomb Bikes). My major malfunction was finding a decent housing for the headlight, something fairly sturdy with a reflector onboard- THAT's where the driving lights come in handy. I'm also creating a switch that activates with your brake cable to trigger brakelights as well as a low-profile rocker for turn signals, ie a full-service vehicular light system that recharges it's own battery. There is a great deal of discussion regarding the potential to damge batteries through over-charging... seems the system has to be built first before we can determine the extent of the threat mostly because the output of the white wire is a bit... flaky... but we shall see.
the Old Sgt.

The headlight came in the mail a couple weeks ago but I didn't get to work on it until tonight.

chopperlight19.JPG

chopperlight01.JPG

chopperlight05.JPG

It needed a bit of trimming to get it to fit together properly but overall I'm happy with it. The tongue-and-groove at the top needed to be shaved a bit with an Xacto knife and there are some funny bits of molding sticking out into the area where the lens fits, preventing it from seating.

chopperlight07.JPG

chopperlight03.JPG

I heavily modified this light using a Luminus SST-50 LED and the guts from a Black & Decker spotlight.

chopperlight06.JPG

It's pretty bright. I might mess around with it to give it more of a flood type beam instead of a spot but we'll see how I feel once I'm actually on the road using it.

chopperlight18.JPG

i'm glad i saw this post and now i want one of those lights. there cheap but look good. i want to know how to modify the light to wire up an led. i wish somebody would do a youtube video of that. did you install an orange lens?

Back