Are we being ripped off with these kits?

I

iron_monkey

I cant help noticing that 110cc chinese-made amateur/smallish dirtbikes/quads, at least in my country, are selling for only alittle more than the 4 stroke kits (it follows its not much more over the 2 stroke either). Remember, they have proper 4 stroke motorbike engines, gearbox, electric start, full suspension, proper wheels, disk brakes, the list goes on and on.
If they were rideable in public these motorbikes would completely **** over these kits in terms of value for money.

I'm not asking for them to be ridable in public, no that may be dangerous. But on the other hand, I expect a "happytime" kit at their current prices(they now 30% more expensive than when I first bought them) to be like the narrow version of a typical 90cc/110cc motorbike or briggs 4 stroke engine by eliminating the gearbox(to clear pedals and keep speeds down). The Huasheng 4 stroke looks like a joke and probably is a joke in terms of quality and power compared to them.

If they can still make a profit with the complete quads/dirtbikes, they can certainly make a profit with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
HT kits are much cheaper nowaways then when I first bought them. I'm not sure where the 30% price increase you mentioned occurs. I've gotten a HT as cheap as $105 shipped new from Ebay.

Value is in the eye of the beholder and I feel comfortable buying HT engines. Its no easy task smugging the non-EPA engines past customs and that, in itself, requires a premium on profit as far as I'm concerned :)

Yes.

But I agree with Skyliner... I've definitely seen kits for less than $110. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I just think a Japanese engine would be a *better* deal. That's all.

Where do you live???? In Canada the prices have been going down,down,down. I think that are VERY reasonable. What do you want when a night on the town = $200 bucks min. and a beer in club is 5-6 bucks???...POPS

I checked out prices for USA and its abit different there.

You can buy kits for $110+USD, I suppose this is reasonable due to fixed costs and overheads. You can buy a complete 100cc+ dirtbike for $420-500USD, which is about 4 times. In Australia, 100cc+ dirtbikes only costs twice the 2 stroke price. The kids dirtbikes 50-70cc with similarly advanced features and engines only cost $280USD. http://stores.ebay.com/PCC-MOTORS_W0QQfrsrcZ1QQfsubZ10006640QQtZkm Although USA Huasheng kits appear to be similarly big with prices from $250(Boysgofast)-$400(Thatsdax/Grubee); equal or more than the cost of the small dirtbikes mentioned above.

I suppose I'm only trying to push for change in the cheap Happytimes, it seems we are paying vastly more for overheads/shipping/customs than the actual product.

Instead of trying to stick to 2 strokes in satisfying emissions; move everyone on to 4 stroke kits, ripoff 4 stroke prices go down due to economies of scale, and in the end the consumer gets alot more product for their money.

$189.00 http://www.minipocketrockets.com/

My grandson got one of the cheap bikes and he got 4 good rides before it was broke down.
You can get at least 8 good rides out of a HT. HaHaHa. Relax, J/K

I think the HT kit is a lot of bang for the buck. When you get a hold of a good engine kit
your off and riding in no time for a long time. No matter what (cheap cycle or HT) you have
to like to putz around with them.

Attachments

• grauchoPitbike.jpg
    grauchoPitbike.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 190
I just found the 50cc dirt bikes sold in my country here:http://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/i...ccessories&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_pgn=2
All that for just $320-350AUD. A HT kit costs $200AUD. A 4 stroke kit costs $400-450AUD!.
Value is in the eye of the beholder and I feel comfortable buying HT engines. Its no easy task smugging the non-EPA engines past customs and that, in itself, requires a premium on profit as far as I'm concerned :)
Thats the point. Why do that when you can just upgrade all happytimes to 4 strokes, its inevitable they will be outlawed due to 2 stroke pollution. Since the actual product price from factory is a small part of the retail price, any price increase wouldnt be big at all. Everyone benefits from less pollution, increased reliability, no fuel mixing, and less noisy; even if pot metal is still used for the castings.

On the other hand theres nothing wrong with my HT atm, its an example of the art of cutting costs down to the raw basics; which i like. I just want the same philosophy for a 4 stroke kit. If the importers can bring down the extremely inflated 4 stroke prices, even better.

Back