Are We Outlaws ??

Old Hippie saying

Are We Dorks?

Maybe we've all been looking at this from the wrong perspective?

Rather than do the equivalent of talking about "going on a diet" (restriction based thinking) and staying legal, maybe we need to look at how the "real world" views us?

The "real world" sees people on bicycles as "Dorks" unless you wear all the fancy bicycle racing gear and look like you are training for something. If you look like you are training for an Ironman Triathlon then at least people see that as some recognizable thing to be doing.

Ride a regular bike with regular clothes? Kinda dorky. (must have a DUI)

Ride a regular bike with a motor attached? Really dorky.

Ride a regular bike with a motor and pretend to be a chopper? Super dweeb?

Ride a regular bike with a motor and pretend to be a road racer? Strange... does it go fast? If not, then that's dorky.

...I think the real question should be:

"Are we okay with being dorky on our motorized bikes?"

Maybe we just need to embrace our "inner nerd"? :geek:

(one has to admit that the world sees us as less than the more advanced categories like motorcycles)

6a00bf76d0a9b7438300e398c20f580002-500pi

Well, Safe you know the old Hippie saying, "If the shoe fits", hop on one if you got too!

By the way, America has almost become a Third World Country, where as people rely upon "these things" to get to work! I am glad you may be so blessed, the "do gooder" that you are, to have it so good.... His real last name must be Pelosi or Schummer, nobody irritates me this bad... I once was very thankful to be of your company but your stupidity and errogance is starting to shine through. Listen to not just me, but what your Brother's are telling you here. I would have PM'd you this message but felt it needed to be right out there in the open.

Are most of us out laws? Darn right we are, when it comes to putting food on our table for our families. That's how it is in America right now... Want to stand in the way of how or how fast my Brothers get to work, stupid?

If the hat fits you can wear that also :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying....

The fact that I'm pointing to is that the general public see people on mopeds as "Dorks". If you are wearing the formal bicycle racing outfit then people think "workout" and just see that person as getting exercise and suspect that they are training for something. (so the formal cyclist is considered an athlete) There is a level of respect for people who are perceived as in training for something. (even if they are not)

It's not that I'm inventing the idea (about mopeds)... I'm just being honest about it.

(so I'm a little confused about the misplaced emotions)

---------------------------

You have to understand I did NOT vote for the people in office now... don't associate me with what is going wrong with government these days.

---------------------------

My perspective is from the suburbs so maybe you are talking about some more urban "ghetto" situation. In the urban core the values could be very different. (this is where the "Third World" people tend to live) In your basic suburban environment people drive cars and see those on mopeds as either kids or people with some sort of problem going on. (like a DUI)

My focus is the suburbs.

-----------------------------

The use of the motorized bike in "Dumb and Dumber" is typical of how the general public sees these machines. In fact the movie does a good job of cutting across a whole range of issues. (hope everyone has seen it... it's very funny)

dumb_and_dumber_xl_01.jpg

...this is the starting point for us. Small motorized bikes have a long way to go to become anything different in the minds of the general public. (attitudes are slow to change)

The realization I had was that you can grasp the essential "Dorkiness" that exists now and make use of that in a positive way. Rather than trying to avoid the stereotype you can instead embrace it and then enhance it, maybe even HAVE FUN WITH IT. :D The motorized bike will probably never have the public image that the larger machines will have. The motorcycle will always be "the destination" for those that are seeking the best technologies and performance and can afford it.

I've loved these little bikes all my life and have gotten used to the negative stereotypes and am strong enough to deal with the pressure. However, for many people who are less confident all it takes is one person passing you in a car and laughing at you and pretty soon you see the motorized bike being sold on ebay. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We are not outlaws..we are not dorks..we are people who build and ride motorbikes for whatever reason...simple

Well said :)

By definition those riding motored 49cc ICE assisted bicycles should definitely NOT be classed as "outlaws" its ridiculous IMO..

out·law (outli)

n.
a. A fugitive from the law.
b. A habitual criminal.
c. A rebel; a nonconformist: a social outlaw.

KiM

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said :)

By definition those riding motored 49cc ICE assisted bicycles should definitely NOT be classed as "outlaws" its ridiculous IMO..

out·law (outli)

n.
a. A fugitive from the law.
b. A habitual criminal.
c. A rebel; a nonconformist: a social outlaw.

KiM

Yes, C. a nonconformist.

When I watch Born To Ride the bikes look alike to me.

http://www.borntoride.com/new/btrtv.html

They are trying to conform.

If you look at the bikes that popup on the top of this page you will notice many different setups.

I would say that overall this forum is a group of nonconformists. :cool:

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Nonconformist

Last edited by a moderator:
Moped Army... Nonconformity with Humor Added?

http://www.mopedarmy.com

The reason I like the "theme" at Moped Army is that they have an ability to laugh at themselves. They don't take the idea of being a non-conformist to the ridiculous level that some people do.

I mean come on... how far can one go to be a non-conformist before you realize that it's a "joke" in itself?

Why not make fun... have fun... with the whole idea of rebellion?

The moped is the perfect way to make fun of the non-conformist. It's the way to both be a dork and a rebel and SMARTER THAN BOTH all at the same time.

These folks at Moped Army are approaching the situation like the movie "Spinal Tap" where the joke is all about knowing it's a joke. It's sort of a "mockumentry".

Just seems to me that the "serious" rebel type rides the Harley and wears the black leather and people already recogonize that as an identity. Riding a moped class vehicle is just never going to gain the level of respect that the "big boys" get. So rather than pathetically trying to "pretend" it's better to throw off the whole thing and just be happy with the humor of the situation. A sense of humor is better than a life spent trying to rebel and falling short. Real rebels spend most of their lives in jail and unless you want motorized bikes to be mostly ex-convicts it's better to avoid that group.

Moped Army seems to have the right mindset... (in my opinion)

I loved my old MB5... those 50cc bikes are fun.

"Laugh, Don't get Angry" (let the joke be on "them" and not "you")

moped%20army.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno - for some reason a motorized bicycle is not viewed as dorkish, yet a moped is. Both are capable of the same speeds, and both have pedals. The difference is that one is not regulated (much), and the other was over-regulated to the point of near extinction (here in the US). Could it be that the moped is viewed as the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to motorized transportation, and a motorized bicycle is viewed as "kewl" because of a teeny tiny bit of "outlaw" perception? I certainly don't feel like an outlaw, but perception is reality. Ask anyone who drives a Harley!

Last year, I bought a small street legal motorcycle (similar to the attached image), it is about the size of a small scooter but it will do 55-60 mph and keep up with local traffic just fine. I was at a street corner waiting for a light and some guy shouts out "nice bike dork!" - I turn around, lift my face shield and shout back, "that's pretty phawking funny coming from the loser waiting for the bus!" (even the other bus losers were laughing out loud) The light turned green, and I take off.

But I have never been ridiculed on the motorized bike. Quite the opposite actually. (sell them all the time just by riding them) Go figure.

Attachments

• trailcub70.jpg
    trailcub70.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 264
Moped Army... Nonconformity with Humor Added?

http://www.mopedarmy.com

The reason I like the "theme" at Moped Army is that they have an ability to laugh at themselves. They don't take the idea of being a non-conformist to the ridiculous level that some people do.

I mean come on... how far can one go to be a non-conformist before you realize that it's a "joke" in itself?

Why not make fun... have fun... with the whole idea of rebellion?

The moped is the perfect way to make fun of the non-conformist. It's the way to both be a dork and a rebel and SMARTER THAN BOTH all at the same time.

These folks at Moped Army are approaching the situation like the movie "Spinal Tap" where the joke is all about knowing it's a joke. It's sort of a "mockumentry".

Just seems to me that the "serious" rebel type rides the Harley and wears the black leather and people already recogonize that as an identity. Riding a moped class vehicle is just never going to gain the level of respect that the "big boys" get. So rather than pathetically trying to "pretend" it's better to throw off the whole thing and just be happy with the humor of the situation. A sense of humor is better than a life spent trying to rebel and falling short. Real rebels spend most of their lives in jail and unless you want motorized bikes to be mostly ex-convicts it's better to avoid that group.

Moped Army seems to have the right mindset... (in my opinion)

I loved my old MB5... those 50cc bikes are fun.

"Laugh, Don't get Angry" (let the joke be on "them" and not "you")

moped%20army.jpg

They talk about making your own motor here:

http://cyclemaster.wordpress.com/page-1-a-year-of-great-optimism/

I bet some people made their own bicycle to put their homemade motor on.

Those were the days ! ! ! :D

Back