Area with more sociable people with hobbies or interests.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ZnsaneRyder, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

:helpsmilie:

I need to move to somewhere that has fun and sociable and talkative people.

IN Lakeland FL, it sucks, and it's time to go somewhere else. I swear it's the center of FL's most unhappy miserable people, and I don't want to be a part of any of it.

Where are some great places that are sociable, I can ride my bike, have fun, but still have privacy?

I'm social, and talk a lot, and I get along GREAT with others like that as well. However in my area, most people are anitsocial.

Im glad to be a part of MBC, it's a great social community where we can display and discuss our interests!

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

well -- it would be a long move for you

but -- here in the lower mountains of Lakeside Calif

seems to be God's country

away from the big city -- but - the city is only 10 min down the mountain

people up here leave you alone -- as they wish the same

you can leave anyTHING out in your yard -- it will be there the next day

many good people (friends) to be found, enjoyed and trusted

whatever your interest -- many share the same here

beach, mountains, desert, motor bikes -- all very close

Calif motor bike laws are some of the best to be found

many cool country roads to ride on

ride that THING

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  3. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

For your own good stay the he|| away from new england.
    But really, I was under the impression that friendly, intelligent, free thinking people with actual hobbies other than swilling beer and watching "the game" were very few and far between.
    I know how you feel, I rarely go out to gatherings/parties/events etc. to try to socialize with people and make friends because, honestly, I have nothing in common with them. I don't care for discussions about the weather and I missed that last episode of american idol... and every episode and season before that... of every show on tv. Including their so called "news" and shallow morning shows and Martha Stewart-esque personalities.

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

It's kind of strange to me, to read the above. I've lived in a lot of different places, from mud hut villages to huge cities, and I've found people everywhere to be friendly, socialable, and interesting. I guess it is in my approach to others - I'll talk to anyone, bout most anything, anywhere at all.

It has always been my experience that people of any kind are interesting, everyone has stories to share, and most can be captivating too hear.

5. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Dang. I was thinking of moving to Florida!!

6. I love it in Sebastian, Florida. Must be the fact that I live in a smaller city. I rode to my sisters house for Thanksgiving, about 5 miles away, and it took me 2 hours to get there, everytime I would start the MB and get going, someone would flag me down to see what it was, where to get it, etc. and each time we would end up talking for 15 or 20 minutes about everything from MB's, weather, fishing, economy, and whatever. The people ranged from teens to seniors, and they are all friendly here.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  7. Mountainman

being a good listener comes in #1

seems that the key -- so as to open that door with people
    is in our hand

and being a good listener comes in #1

ride that thing

8. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

What some of the posters above are saying about finding interest in others (to paraphrase a bit) is perfectly true. But there is something else to consider.

I've been a wanderer all of my life. I'm not the most travelled person in the world, but I've been around. (Almost entirely confined to the USA. A bit of Canada is my only int'l experience.) I've gotten to know a lot of different places. Some rather well and others only briefly.

And I've noticed that there are places (relatively few, luckily) that just don't feel happy. I don't know the reason, but there are communities out there that are sullen and sour.

My experience with Lakeland is only brief (a handfull of years back), but it seemed to me like one of those unhappy communities. If my perception is correct, then Znsanerider's desire to get out is understandable.

The good news is that you could choose a new location at random and probably do better.

9. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

COLORADO is the place to be. No humidity, no bugs, and no oxygen all make for friendly folk.

10. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

No oxygen eh? Yeah those people would be "friendly" no matter what :)

And I have heard from many people colorado is the shizzle.

11. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

That there is funny!! :punk:

WA is friendly enough - but NEVER EVER let the hippies know you aren't a communist. Talk about hate spouted from an open minded person. But once you get over that, folks are generally kinda stuck-up here.

:ee2k:

12. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

No humidity? No bugs?

Man oh man, count me in!

13. I live in Bartlesville, Ok. about 50 mi. N. of Tulsa, It's a quiet town:yawn: of about 35,000 with no crime to speak of and my workshop door stays open overnight a lot. If I want something or wish to attend a free jazz or blues festival Tulsa is near. It has it's trouble with gangs, etc.:gun_bandana: but I don't have to live there. It is about 250,000 I think. There is a lot of industry in Tulsa.
    My daughter lives in Dallas. From what I have seen, Texans are about as friendly and talkative as you could ask for. If I hadn't wasted 72 years here, I would probably be a Texan. Basically you sound like a heartland guy. We have good values here and and "cling to our guns and religion.":whistling::2guns:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  14. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

I may check it out over there. I don't live 5 miles near anything but a Chevron and Circle K store.

Lakeland seems to be one of those "Unhappy places". A large town, with a small major shopping mall with only one floor, and slow business, too much traffic, open country roads crowded with cops at night, tons of prejudice rednecks that only like their own kind, plus a HUGE ghetto, and loaded with tons of people with nowhere to belong due to all the churches here brainwashing people to the point they become antisocial. And most "friends" you make here end up being drug dealers or weirdos you want to stay away from. On top of that, it's hard to have a job here because people here are shady, and will only hire you if you look gullible and easily manipulated.

I can make friends easier elsewhere than in Lakeland. Always has been that way, even when I moved out of Lakeland before. I don't NEED friends, but it's nice to socialize with people without shady motives at your expense.

Sebastian is a near coastal town it seems. How's the cost of living? I will consider another place in FL, but will still look in other areas. With only 22000 people it's somewhat small, much smaller than Lakeland for sure. It's closer to the beach, that's what I like. Imagine taking a bike ride to the beach!

I would consider SoCal, but it probably takes a large income just to be poor there.

My sister lives in Colorado.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  15. Mountainman

I would give Colorado a try -- no tear in the eye

hey - ZnsaneRyder

I hate to admit it -- but it's true -- everything is sky high in SoCal
    I was blessed to have gotten one of those pretty fair paying jobs
    when I was a young man -- as we like -- working with my hands
    it does sadden me that these days those kind of jobs
    not many left -- and very hard to find

I guess that it has been proven to all now -- we are in very hard times

you mention a sister in Colorado
    have heard by many -- that's a beautiful place to live
    question would be -- would your sister help you get started out there ?
    if so -- that may be the place to go -- so as to be happy

you are a young motor biking guy
    not to late to move and give it a try
    don't want to grow old in a place we hate with a tear in our eye

I like the thought of motor biking in Colorado

yes -- when I was young I lived in the Big City
    but -- today -- I think that country living is the best

ride that THING

16. n8ygn

n8ygn Member

WVa is a nice place to live

WVa is the place to be all I have to do is send my wife to Lakeland where the rest are maybe she has half sisters I wasn't aware of. Mount a gun case to the front forks and diamond dualband antenna on the back you fit right in here. Dane PS We do have oxygen here bikes don't run very well without it.