Ashamed to be an Australian by the governments actions at the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Although i'm a proud Australian, my feelings of disgust go towards the Victorian Police (and the Victorian government) for making Australia look like an international laughing stock by allowing legislation that enables Nazi style police tactics, supported by the utterly mindless road traffic laws that are forced upon the people, of which it has no relevance to true safety measures.

Lewis Hamilton was "NOT" behaving in a dangerous or reckless manner and there was no justification to make a highly trained and competent driver responsible for actions that were in no way dangerous or life threatening.
    He exited a side street and the wheels were spinning as the vehicle straigtened up. At no time was the vehicle out of control and at all times the driver had full command of the vehicle.

Mark Webber was correct in his view of the incident and on a previous occasion, the head of Mercedes Benz mentioned that the Victorian governments preoccupation with connecting any form of speed to injuries and fatalities is false logic, when ignoring calls to dramatically improve driver training and situational awareness measures.
    Furthermore, he made mention about the unlimited speed zones in Germany and people do not die by the thousands just because their vehicle travels at 31 miles an hour in a 30 mile an hour zone, or travelling above 60 miles an hour.

The Victorian government knocked back a proposal to have "all" young drivers pass an advanced driver training program before being allowed behind the wheel on public roads.
    This proposal was automatically knocked back by the governments claim that advanced driver training causes drivers to be more confident and take excessive risks.
    Basically their logic is to have all drivers trained to the lowest level of competency to increase safety and reduce road trauma.

I can say that i'm ashamed to be an Australian by the way the government took an aggressive stance to back the police force in a mindless display of overt belligerence to the people who pay their taxes to the support the system that supports their criminal code of conduct.

At the end of the day, idiots will be idiots, regardless of age or traffic laws
    If those people make a decision to behave in a reckless and dangerous manner; failing to maintain control of their vehicle, no amount of ever constricting traffic laws will prevent them for doing so - they only end up targeting yesterdays law abiding citzen.

Mark Webbers words below:

Speaking out after fellow F1 driver Lewis Hamilton was caught by police doing a burnout in a Mercedes outside the Albert Park racetrack on Friday night, Webber said he had spent the past few days in Melbourne "dodging the ridiculous speeding and parking (rules) and all the nanny-state country that we have down here in Australia".

The comments prompted Norm Robinson to speak out just a day after learning his son Luke, 19, was killed when his car struck a pole at an estimated 160km/h at Lovely Banks, near Geelong, early on Sunday.

"Maybe if he loses a loved one in a car accident he might regret saying that," Mr Robinson told reporters on Monday.

Webber's remarks also raised the ire of Victoria's top traffic cop, Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay, who defended Victoria's tough stance on speeding and hoon behaviour.

"I'd be so bold to say, too ... that there's probably quite a few Mark Webber fans still alive today because of the work we do," Mr Lay told ABC Radio on Monday.

But Webber has won support from right-wing philosophical thinktank group the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA).

IPA spokesman Tim Wilson says Webber, from Queanbeyan in southern NSW, was spot-on.

"Webber's comments expose the incremental efforts by government to regulate and tax every part of our lives," he said.

"The problem is the government is introducing the nanny state bit by bit so most Australians don't notice how far we're down the path."

But Liberty Victoria president Michael Pearce said the Victorian government had been highly intrusive in its legislation surrounding the staging of the grand prix at Albert Park, suspending the normal rights of citizens to enjoy local amenities.

"Mark Webber should become familiar with that legislation before he shoots his mouth off about anti-hoon laws," Mr Pearce said.

"There was a raft of highly contentious legislation which deprived the residents of the surrounding areas of all their normal rights of protest and amenity, and this was so people like Mark Webber could engage in legalised hooning."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010

2. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Ashamed to be Australian? A bit strong, don't you think?

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Perfectly legitimate in this case.

4. AussieSteve

I must disagree. Lewis Hamilton is just another motorist when he's on a public road. As such, he should obey the road laws like the rest of us.
    Burn-outs are hooning, regardless of who does it.
    If others have their cars confiscated for that type of behaviour, then why not him?
    We can't have different laws for different people.
    (And just quietly, I would have loved to hear that his car was confiscated.)
    I think that Mark Webber spoke out of turn.
    I've said my bit and won't comment further. No point in arguing.

5. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

Your comment's were OK , have a drink on me ::grin5:

Bob.

6. AussieSteve

Thanks, Bob, I am. (Only VB - waiting for my next batches of brew to age.)
    A cup of tea and bed next, though, I reckon.

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It was obvious that Lewis Hamilton has performed that kind of action before.
    After all he is in a flagship Mercedes Benz motor vehicle and his presence and driving style attract the right kind of attention to the brand, reenergizing Mercedes Benz's image as a manufacturer of performance vehicles.

Spinning the wheels, whilst in a straight line with the engine wizzing making the right kind of sounds is something the media loves and in any outher country besides Australia, it would have made front page news for all the right reasons.
    It would have been free advertising space injecting a more youthful image to the Mercedes Benz brand and also the cashed up younger age drivers in the BMW segment.

In any other country, the police would have given Lewis Hamilton the thumbs up and then pulled him over to get his autograph; sending him on his way with cheers and positive vibe from crowd and police alike.

In Australia we are so close to being a Nazi led political regime, yet failing to realise it before things have gone so far that the tide can never be turned.
    Naturally, you will always have the idiots that can't see the forrest for the trees and blindly agree with whatever propaganda the government spits out - in this case a safety related campaign that cleverly brainwashes people into accepting ever increasing road user costs and mindless and senseless traffic infringement laws.

Like i said: yesterdays law abiding citizen becomes tomorrows criminal by moving the goal posts on social behaviour, forcing unrealistic and abnormal patterns of human behaviour on the people; bringing forward legislative changes by means of an untouchable subject of safety.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Fabian, I'd suggest you might want to re-think your "in any other country" remarks. They are patently absurd. Professional race drivers routinely engage in driving performances at the limits of human ability - on the race track. Performing anywhere near that same type of behavior on the public roads is quite another matter, and should quite rightly be treated as what it is - violation of law and unsafe driving.

I'd go so far as to say that should the driver engage in such behavior in a fashion that would result in any other, normal, driver to be suspended from the privilege of driving that so should the race driver - including the privilege of driving on the race track. As "role models" and examples to their many fans, they have a societal duty to act in a fashion consonant with good public order, and doing a "burnout" on the public road is not such action - all too many young idiots (and older ones) will attempt to ape the modeled behavior without the skills required to do so in a safe fashion.

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

You are entitled to your opinions Simple Simon - in this case i totally disagree your logic of failing to take my remarks in the broader context of advanced driver training and dramatically improved driver competency and also the type of vehicle driven.

My views have not changed since i first received my drivers licence.
    I've argued long and hard that it should be an incredibly tough and arduous process to get a drivers licence and also include a psychological assessment over a period of two years for male drivers and 12 months for female drivers.
    Even when i got my licence, my views were that males should not be allowed on the road till they were 23, though women should be allowed to drive at a younger age of 17, if passing the psychological component of licence appraisal.

So many of the male drivers in my extended social group were psychologically unfit to hold a drivers licence at 18 - this is a point well and truly overlooked.

Now tell me - with high level driver training, where is the danger in driving a motor vehicle at 15 degrees out of line with light wheelspin up to a low level speed limit at 2 am in the morning with no other vehicles on the road.
    You would be a complete fool to suggest that it could possibly be dangerous in a well maintained and high specification vehicle.

This action however is seen as totally reckless and dangerous, making a criminal out of a person who behaves in a socially sensible manner.

Fabian

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The previous post aside - Lewis Hamilton should be given a personal appology by the Chief commissioner of police.

The outcomes of Hamiltons actions - highly trained driver maintaining full control of a motor vehicle, receiving a traffic infringement notice for reckless and dangerous driving.

Fabian

11. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Fabian, the young ladies in OZ must be a different lot than what we have in Canada.
    Every day that I'm out driving I see a lot of women that shouldn't be in a car other than as a passenger.
    I am constantly tail gated at less than a meters distance. Passed on solid lines and cut off because some woman thinks that pulling out of a side street into moving traffic is ok because all the men should stop for her.

Steve.

12. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

As i said Steve,

There should be an extended psychological asssessment before people can hold a motor vehicle licence.
    A person taking the attitude that their gender gives them automatic privileges over the opposite s.e.x when driving should require an extension of time allowing their mental maturity to develop before receiving a licence.

If the system is structured so you can't drive on the road till your attitude displays common sense and a courteous approach to other road users, the level of senseless agression and poor driving behavior would be significantly reduced.

The other thing i've argued long and hard for (since i first received my licence), was multi level licence and registration catagories i.e. gold class licence, silver class licence, bronze class licence etc
    There would be, age, speed, medical and time restrictions placed on road users based on assessment of their personal history.

Fabian

13. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Psychological assessments, gold silver and bronze licenses? Holy c.r.a.p. talk about a nanny state!!!!!!!!!

As far as the "professional driver" doing burnouts in a public street - he is not above the law. I bet you complain when cops exceed the speed limit and ignore traffic signs. But if we apply your thinking, cops should be able to break the laws they enforce because they are highly skilled drivers.

If the laws are on the books and they are broken, the hoon should get the ticket. Even if the hoon drives a F1 car professionally.

And as always - hoon responsibly, and in moderation!