Ashevegas, N.C. > Climb Mt. Mitchell

Bonefish

Local time
4:20 PM
Let's Roll!

Put your bike to the test in an environment that will put your bike to a challenge.

Start: Downtown Asheville, N.C.

Finish: Top of Mt. Mitchell. (highest point east of the mississippi)

Distance: about 40 miles.(one way)(elevation climb = about 4000 feet. the other way is downhill from the top

I'm going to do it, I did it last year on a china 68.5/80cc kit. I had to pedal alot but it made it.

Anyone care to join me again this year?

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSC03827.jpg
    DSC03827.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 334
I don't understand the " Ashevegas " part, but I do know that area. Mt. Mitchell will put your body to a challenge !!!

You in Florida or North Carolina? If you are in Fl, come up and get away from the "3 H's".

If you don't understand the "3 H's" it is HEAT, HUMIDITY, & HURRICANES

I was born in Florida,

Summer in Florida is no place to be.

This ride is not for the faint of heart,

What you got?

Would love to come do it, but dont understand the "Ashvegas". Used to work at the Picadilly Cafeteria in the Ashville Mall, and also at Bo Jangle's Chicken N Biscuits.... But that was back in 1981. Have very fond memories of the drive in, the flea market, would hate to hear that things have gone awry in that town.....

I am originally from upstate S.C. I have been to Asheville, & Mt Mitchell many times. [ not by bicycle, though ! }

Looking for those that live within a 50 mile radius of Asheville N.C. or plan on making the trip. Please limit the replies to the above criteria. This is my 5th summer up here. Winter's I'm in Florida. Thanks,

Attachments

• aaaaaashevegeas.jpg
    aaaaaashevegeas.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 307
Anyone In?

I still do not completely have the bugs worked out of my ride. (engine and chain problems) However, think of this. If I, or you don't make it. All you have to do is turn around, and coast down the mountain to the place of origin.

I'm getting ready to make the ascension, I would like to see how other riders rides handle the stress and fatigue on the drive train from climbing a 4000+ elevation climb with the other various MB idea builds out there.

If your in, let me know. My schedule is very flexible, and I can practically go just about any time.

Thanks,

When are you hittin' that?

Back in the 70's, my brother and I and another friend toured the parkway a couple of summers running on high tech "ten speeds." We always camped at Mt. Mitchell and the ride down through the clouds the next morning was always a rush.

Be careful.

Make contact with me today by 5:00 p.m. if you wanna roll. I'm going to fly solo and try and make it to the top this weekend if I do not hear from anyone by 5:00 today.

The Goal and Objective if I go solo is to make it to the top without pedaling at all. I can only pedal to switch gears with my shift setup, but not allowed to pedal to provide forward propulsion to the bike.

If I go with someone else, I can ride slower or wait up for you if you don't have a gear shift setup.

Let me know if you wanna roll.

Just got back from the top of Mt. Mitchell. It was a beautiful day. Visibility was excellent. Rode solo, and goal was attained. I made it all the way to the top of Mt. Mitchell without pedaling. (6680ft.) Last Summer I rode a 68.5/80cc china kit up there but had to pedal it most of the way. This Summer I rode a 52cc Water Pump engine up there, but had the engine run thru the back cogs. It made a world of difference. Never had to pedal. Here are some picts. from the top. Check attachments.

I probably am going to do this ride again next Summer, If anyone wants to go, reply or shoot me a line. It will probably not be until next summer though that I go again. Next picts. of my bike you would/will see will be it in the Florida Keys for the Winter.

Word of caution. If decide to go and make the ascent , watch out for 5 inch perfect circles cut out of the road on the parkway in between Asheville and Mt. Mitchell. They just got done doing repairs, and they left these horrible little holes they cut in the road. You hit one of these coming down the Mountain going about 30 mph, It could damage your rim, and maybe even more. That is North Carolina for you though. They take care of their roads up here about as well as they take care of there teeth. If you have been here, you know what I mean.

Attachments

• DSC03833.jpg
    DSC03833.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC03834.jpg
    DSC03834.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC03835.jpg
    DSC03835.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC03843.jpg
    DSC03843.jpg