Atomic Zombie Motorized Tadpole Project

AZ forum

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I've been on the AZ web site and forum a lot. Finding a local source for things is a problem and the forum isn't any help with that unless someone happens to live near you. So far, I haven't found that to be the case.

Buying stuff on the internet takes time while you wait for shipping and you don't get to touch and feel the stuff to make sure it's really what you want. The seat foam is a good example of the problem.

In the end, you have to make the cuts and welds yourself. This makes the Warrior a challenging build for a first-timer. That's why I mentioned it.

I've been keeping a log of my build and will make a lengthy post on the AZ forum when I'm finished so a newbie Warrior builder will have everything I learned in ONE, complete post, rather than having to search around for bits and pieces.

Seat Foam on Zombie Warrior Trike

Hi,

I bought some 2" thick rigid foam and cut it and glued it to the seat frame. I shaped it with a 120 grit sanding wheel on the grinder.

I also finalized the steering boom tube welds and worked on all 3 wheels' bearings.

The next step in the plans is the under seat steering (USS). The plans call for chopping down an old head tube and welding a goose neck on to hold handlebars and then welding a steering control tab on the head tube and connect a control rod to one wheel. The wheels will be connected by an adjustable tie rod, kinda like a car.

I attached a couple of pictures to show the new seat foam.

Attachments

• Black Seat on Warrior1.jpg
    Black Seat on Warrior1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Black Seat on Warrior2.jpg
    Black Seat on Warrior2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,227
Warrior Steering

Hi,
Here's a pic of the completed steering system on the Warrior. I modified it from the plans which called for cutting down a head tube. The plan idea was a bit overkill to me for the job at hand. So, I used a square tube and brass bushings with a 1/2" bolt and lock nut for the pivot point. I welded a goose neck on the back side of the square tubing.
I followed the plans as far as the lengths of arms and tabs and the angles recommended for proportional steering.
The red circle is the steering tube.
The green circle is the steering control arm tab on the left kingpin.
The blue circle is the tie rod assembly.
The white circle is where the goose neck welds to the steering tube.

Attachments

• Warrior Steering System 2.jpg
    Warrior Steering System 2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,334
Warrior running

Hi,

I got the Warrior going today and took the first test ride out at the airport so it was flat and open. It did fine. It's fast and takes some getting used to in high speed turns.

I'll do some fine tuning to a couple of things and then start adding the support system for the friction drive.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of me riding it around the local airport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lga0S-g_K8Q

I've also attached a photo of my son riding it and you can see that you have to lean a lot when you turn at high speed.

I've learned a lot on this project. I changed the plans in a couple of areas and I'm pleased with the changes.

Attachments

• A on Warrior at Airport.jpg
    A on Warrior at Airport.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,145
Thanks!

Yes, it was very comfortable to ride. I really like having 3 wheels on the ground and not even thinking about balancing. I think it will be even nicer once it's motorized!

BMP Friction Drive AZ Warrior Trike

Hi, All

I got the BMP FD engine mounted on the Atomic Zombie Warrior tadpole and it runs great!

I don't have any issues with it that I'm aware of. Top speed seems to be about 25-28 MPH but I'm not sure since I haven't hooked up a bike computer yet.

I also don't have any way to carry anything so I'll need to work on that.

It runs straight and true and doesn't do anything weird at all. It's very relaxing to ride and requires almost no steering input on straights.

I need to figure out where to put a mirror and then I'll take it all apart and paint it.

Eventually, I plan to put a belt or chain drive on it.

Attachments

• FDWarrior1.jpg
    FDWarrior1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,416
  • FDWarrior2.jpg
    FDWarrior2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,175
  • FDWarrior3.jpg
    FDWarrior3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,204
Hi, Graucho

Thanks!

I normally ride a Rans Rocket recumbent with this same BMP FD set up and that also puts the engine pretty near your head.

So, to me, the noise level is about the same as what I'm used to. That is the main drawback, though, and it helps that the RS engine is pretty quiet.

I've worn ear plugs in the past and will probably end up doing that with the Warrior, too.

For me, the seat (per the plans) is too narrow and I plan to add 'wings' to the bottom and/or back support for a little more comfort.

Having 3 wheels on the ground is a big plus in ease of riding.

Back