Attaching sprocket to disk brake mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockless

Local time
2:00 PM
Being in New Zealand, I try not to import things, so I haven't bought a Jackshifter (probably wouldn't work on my bike anyway).

So I was wondering, could I somehow attack my sprocket to the wheel using the mounting gear for a disk brake. I'm asking this since I managed to just break 9 spokes on my wheel, and I don't really want to keep having to replace spokes, especially at $2.50 each.

Has anyone tried?

The other option is to weld the sprocket on, or weld a flange and bolt it on, but that's a lot more work.

They sell sprockets made to mount on disc mounts. Try Kings sales and service, he is a member and makes them. I have a 39 tooth disc mount sprocket I am no longer using I would ship out for the cost of shipping.

I'm currently running on caliper brakes, they've done me fine so far, I've only been hit by a car once.

Would it be possible to modify the default sprocket to fit onto a disk brake mount?

That's good. I was thinking that it might tear if it has too many holes in it. Any idea what alloy the sprockets are?

I have a Kings sprocket mounted to my rear disk wheel. Works great. No more sprocket wobble. I had to trim my disk mount about 3/8in for frame clearance since I ride an old beach cruiser. Easy with a hacksaw and file. I use a caliper brake on the rear. The front brake provides most of the stopping power anyway and mine is a Worksman drum.

Not even hardened at all?

I went to the bike shop today and talked to them about mounts, $160 was the cheapest that he could do, and he said it probably wouldn't like the sprocket, a decent wheel would be upwards of $300, which is more than my bike and engine combined, I might have a go at welding a mount on to my hub, a decent gas weld should hold (and burn out all the grease, creating a wonderful smell).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back