Attaching sprocket to disk brake mount.

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by sockless, May 7, 2012.

1. sockless

sockless New Member

Being in New Zealand, I try not to import things, so I haven't bought a Jackshifter (probably wouldn't work on my bike anyway).

So I was wondering, could I somehow attack my sprocket to the wheel using the mounting gear for a disk brake. I'm asking this since I managed to just break 9 spokes on my wheel, and I don't really want to keep having to replace spokes, especially at $2.50 each.

Has anyone tried?

The other option is to weld the sprocket on, or weld a flange and bolt it on, but that's a lot more work.

2. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

They sell sprockets made to mount on disc mounts. Try Kings sales and service, he is a member and makes them. I have a 39 tooth disc mount sprocket I am no longer using I would ship out for the cost of shipping.

3. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

but then, what are you going to do for a rear brake?
    disk brakes are the way to go.

4. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

He also sells a tophat adapter which allows use of both disc brake and sprocket.

5. sockless

sockless New Member

I'm currently running on caliper brakes, they've done me fine so far, I've only been hit by a car once.

Would it be possible to modify the default sprocket to fit onto a disk brake mount?

6. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Like drilling some holes in it? Sure.

7. sockless

sockless New Member

That's good. I was thinking that it might tear if it has too many holes in it. Any idea what alloy the sprockets are?

8. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I have a Kings sprocket mounted to my rear disk wheel. Works great. No more sprocket wobble. I had to trim my disk mount about 3/8in for frame clearance since I ride an old beach cruiser. Easy with a hacksaw and file. I use a caliper brake on the rear. The front brake provides most of the stopping power anyway and mine is a Worksman drum.

9. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

The sprocket is just chromed mild-steel. There's nothing special about it.

10. sockless

sockless New Member

Not even hardened at all?

I went to the bike shop today and talked to them about mounts, $160 was the cheapest that he could do, and he said it probably wouldn't like the sprocket, a decent wheel would be upwards of $300, which is more than my bike and engine combined, I might have a go at welding a mount on to my hub, a decent gas weld should hold (and burn out all the grease, creating a wonderful smell).