Augi, a thought on the "introduce yourself" rule.

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by kevbo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. kevbo

kevbo Guest

I have no gripe with the rule itself...your board, your rules. (and also your board rules!) Please also note that I am one of the newer members who DID observe this rule.

But it might save you some policing if that rule weren't in the last post on the last page of the "read the rules" thread, and if were somewhere before the last paragraph of of the "welcome to MB.c" email. Since it's pretty much the first thing newbs should do, maybe it aught to be toward the beginning of the rules?

I guess I must have seen it in the email, but it took me a while to find it just now when I wondered "Is that really a rule?"

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

that's very good...thanks :)

i've been trying to balance a few different ideas, mostly learned during hard lessons of quick growth...i've come to learn that the new folks get a sense of responsibility for the board if they're patted down at the door, so to speak. also, i've noticed a "glad you asked because i am new" trend that's gratifying. this latest method has been my "nicest" so far, and with your suggestion i can sweeten it up just a bit more.

after real-life settles down, i'm a-gonna re-do the welcome message. tell me... as a lurker, where would you have found the "welcome/introduce yourself" policy to be it's most visible?

thanks again :cool:
  3. kevbo

kevbo Guest

Glad I didn't make you mad, I was worried that I might.

Toward the top of the list, and maybe with a bold or even red "IMPORTANT" in front of it. All the other rules are typical of other message boards so I think this one warrants special attention.

I think anywhere in the first post of the message board rules thread would be OK though. As it was, I read the OP in that thread, and got down to the "you tell 'em Augie!" replies and thought that I'd read all the rules.

Actually, I think this is the only board I've posted to where the rules thread had more than an OP posting. It makes sense to me that you'd post the rules then sticky and lock the thread. If people want to comment on the rules, they can start new threads, like this one. If you need to add or change the rules, you can just edit that post.

I don't know if it is possible, but it seems like somebody clever with coding could even make you a hot link that would start a new thread with the subject "New member introduction: <username> "

Not that you should really need to do that of course, but I've found that making it easy for people to follow the rules usually makes everybody happier than spanking them when they don't.

Especially after you explain it, I think you came up with a pretty good rule here. Another board I frequent has another rule I really like: "Don't be a jerk."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

I really like that rule !!! :lol:
  5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

please! it's posts like yours that cheer me feedback w/suggested solutions, that's how it works :)

we just get tired of reading well-intentioned(?) critical posts that aren't followed up with something about "why" or "how"...hehe, or "who" :???:

just look at us as the grumpy old doods who have to put away all the manuals/tools/parts left laying about. i don't expect we're be lowering our expectations, but it's not like we hold noobness itself against anyone.

sign up and just start clicking "new topic", making it clear in one post that you have no idea where the heck you are, or how to comport yerself...well heck yeah...that can make me mad. it's a lot of work (because our other duties haven't stopped) chasing down a newby who's got 4 duplicate posts going in under 2 hours, they're all off-topic or disallowed content, and i can tell he or she is just gettin' warmed up :p

when in learning-mode, my most smartest trick is to quickly admit to NOT knowing something. once you get that out of the way, you'll find your instructor's a whole lot more amenable to helping you out. for our particular no-nonsense atmosphere...the introduce yourself rule rocks, imo :cool:

EDIT: if it's ok, i'm gonna steal the "don't be a jerk" one, too ;)
    "....Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live." - Mark Twain - May 10, 1884
  6. fetor56

fetor56 Guest the "Introduce Yourself" section is it possible to have a modification something like this:
    New members,PLEASE POST HERE FIRST,so you can meet everyone.Search before posting new threads and READ existing threads FIRST.
    Tell us where you're at and what you ride.If you're new to MotoredBiking,or to Forums,this is a great place to let us know that,too.
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i'm not ignoring this, i'm thinking...

i've been pretty pleased to see the group start to self-govern, & between that and the welcome message we're seeing about 8-of-10 new signups get it right, or at least right enuff to justify community-help...y'all are great about that and, if it's ok to say, i'm proud of yous :)

any more input?
  8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

The reason i added that bit in is because like others i'm tired of telling new members the same thing about Search & Read,Read and Search,Read Read Read.I don't wanna make it seem like were telling newbies what to do(cos everyone was a newbie at some stage) but they do need to know for their own good(and ours)
    If established members get tired of even these basic/common sense hints then there will be no-one to advise new members about correct procedures.My suggestion was not meant to seem over-governing or dictatorial in any's simply being thorough.........additionally helpfull.
  9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

ok, we'll start with a simple change...

"new members MUST POST HERE FIRST"...

but, methinks (and this is 1000-member experience speaking) we will always have to tell (some) new folks to search before posting new's the nature of the beast...using intro-yerself as a policy helps with this, tho, because we all give brief answers and conclude with "read read read"...far easier for the new arrival to "get the message" when 3 or 4 members tell 'em the same thing, it seems to be taken more seriously than when it's just staff being "controlling"...
  10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

No problem. :)
  11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

so...i think we have the intro-rule figured out. i think the current setup is effective but am open to more discussion.

but, yaknow...we do get a lot of forum-newbies...and learning search will always be an issue because of that. the rub is, of course, that anywhere we experienced folks would think a newbie will read about searching is probably the exact spot he or she will skip right over...being new, it's predictable.

should we just open one more garage-forum called: "i don't know where to post this, so i'm posting it here" ?

or to make it a bit more fun, we could just call it "stoopid questions" with a descriptive caption? we could make it a rule that the only way we can answer a 's-q' is with an MBc crosslink. concerned members could mention what keywords and search-options they used to get the results.

keep in mind that the easier we make it, the less some folks will try to help themselves.

mentoring? it's being tried but with little result.

corralling all new members into a limited area? i don't like that one.

stressing the point even more vehemently in the welcome message? as in a re-writing of it?

i wouldn't mind hearing from some recent new members about how it felt to walk into the place.

community input is good :)
  12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

if you refresh the main page, you'll see the new captions for the lobby and clubhouse...lemme know what y'all think.