Australia 66cc Legal if peddling ?

Doh!

Crikey, I'm gettin' old and on too many meds, dunno how I missed that you're in Queensland.:rolleyes: That's my old stompin' grounds. I find it pays to mingle with traffic, so the wallopers have too much to look at.:geek:

But hey, yer only live once, so enjoy the experience whichever way it goes!:cool:

I'm going back into me corner an' keep quiet!:rolleyes5:

Doh!

Crikey, I'm gettin' old and on too many meds, dunno how I missed that you're in Queensland.:rolleyes: That's my old stompin' grounds.

Qld Transport - Rules for motorised bicycles

"A motorised bicycle is a bicycle to which an electric motor is attached. The motor must not be capable of generating more than 200 watts of power. It is illegal to ride a bicycle on roads or road-related areas (such as paths) if the bicycle has an internal combustion engine (for example, a petrol or diesel motor) attached or an electric motor which is capable of generating more than 200 watts.

A two-wheeled vehicle with an internal combustion engine, or an electric motor capable of generating over 200 watts, must comply with the Australian Design Rules requirements for a motorbike if it is to be ridden on roads or road-related areas
."

I find it pays to mingle with traffic, so the wallopers have too much to look at.:geek:

But hey, yer only live once, so enjoy the experience whichever way it goes!:cool:

I'm going back into me corner an' keep quiet!:rolleyes5:

Just to elaborate on the insanity of these laws , below is an extract from the NSW (RTA ) site .

*These vehicles must have been designed as a bicycle - that is, to be propelled by human power, with the motor attached as a supplementary aid only.*

See the legal ramifications of the above ^^ , the worry is how to explain when the motor is used !
E.G. your using motor power only on a straight level road when pulled up by the cops , they book you & say you should have been peddling as there was no hill . :sick:

Just crazy laws that allow imbecilic interpretation :rolleyes:

Any of you hardcore MB fellas ever Looked into conditional registration for these recreation vehicles/MB's in Qld?

I really think it would be worth looking into.

specifically conditional unrestricted access of the road network for 2 wheel recreation vehicles.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/Conditional_registration/

The Conditional Registration Scheme commenced on 1 May 2003. The scheme provides a
mechanism to register non-standard vehicles that were previously either exempt from or not accepted
for registration.

Vehicles included under this scheme are required to meet a set standard of construction and are
registered within strict guidelines to ensure safe operation of the vehicle whilst on a road.
Under the Conditional Registration Scheme, non-standard vehicles are allocated condition codes that
ensure vehicles can move safely when used on the road.

Operation of vehicles registered under the Conditional Registration Scheme must comply with the
Guideline for Conditionally Registered Vehicles in Queensland Form Number 17. Only vehicles with a
genuine need to access the road network will be included in this scheme.
The Conditional Registration Scheme offers non-standard vehicles the added benefit of access to
Compulsory Third Party Insurance. Compulsory Third Party Insurance will cover you for personal
injury insurance claims made against you by other road users such as drivers, passengers,
pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists if a crash occurs on a road (subject to the scope of the Motor
Accident Insurance Act 1994).

Compulsory Third Party Insurance will not cover you for property damage. Make sure that you have
appropriate insurance to cover you for the range of risks associated with your vehicle both on and off
road. For more information on public liability and general insurance consult your insurance
broker/advisor.

All vehicles require registration to drive on the roads. The definition of a road under Queensland law is
broader than most people realise. Under Queensland law a road includes areas such as: shopping
centre car parks, railway crossings, areas open to the public for use as a road and road related areas.
A road related area includes areas such as footpaths, and nature strips.
If a non-standard vehicle is to access the road, it must be registered and covered for Compulsory
Third Party Insurance. It is illegal to drive an unregistered and uninsured vehicle of any type on
Queensland roads.

If you hire a non-standard vehicle and it is not registered, you will need to discuss this with the hire
company if you intend using it on the road.
To find out more about the Conditional Registration Scheme please visit the Department of Transport
and Main Roads' website www.tmr.qld.gov.au
If you need more information about Compulsory Third Party Insurance please visit
www.maic.qld.gov.au

Last edited:
Qld is a strange place lol, theres this fella in a town called 1770,who hires out about 50 monkey bikes and mini choppers to backpackers, all the bikes are registered etc, most people arnt licenced at all.

He has a real good business going on.

I could see how that works for the guy hiring out those monkey bikes which may not be legal to ride on the road or if they are then it comes down to chasing these transient people trying to get them into court.

If those backpackers hold an international licence or even if they don't, the police could only give out a ticket and a warning not to ride the monkey bike. The backpackers simply would not pay the fine as there is no way that [a] the government could track them down for a Sherrif to place a court order on them, and they will move on from Australia to another country that may not have an extradition treaty for their return to Australia or they keep moving from place to place of no fixed abode.
The guy who is hiring them out would not have any responsibility for the people who ride the bikes.

I have a friend who is a Victorian police officer and he's come accross people holding an international licence, after pulling them over for a traffic offence.
Basically his comment was - it's just too hard.
He gives them a warning and lets them go.

At the end of the day, a heck of a lot of effort would have to go into tracking down someone over a period of months or years to serve a $200 traffic ticket - is that going to happen - not a chance!

Fabian

Last edited:
Qld is a strange place lol, theres this fella in a town called 1770,who hires out about 50 monkey bikes and mini choppers to backpackers, all the bikes are registered etc, most people arnt licenced at all.

Yep i was on holiday in Noosa 2 years back and saw some examples , I didn't do any bike riding as the mission was to pleasure women

Far as I'm aware, any two/three wheeled vehicle applying for rego must have an engine number and the frame a chassis number (VIN) for any kind of rego. It falls under ADR group L requirements, which include hydraulic braking system and full lighting. In my case of a custommade frame it would also require welding xrays.

We're lucky enough to have bought an old shop-fronted residence and I was going to sell the motored 2strokes as road rego'd. Then the plan was to sell em as off-road and go electric on the road jobs. However the local councils wowsers recently outlawed all motored bikes on government land, like forestrys, vacant acreage etc.

So now it'll be ebikes only, which is okay as I plan to run the 70cc on my tired old air-compressor. Reckon I've found an electric motor that'll undercut all of the overpriced local competition. Bundy is mainly undulating scrub country and 200W of power will be ample for an ebike to do 20km/h.

As for queensland being a strange place, it has always been a wowser/police state since that idiot bjelke-petersen governed in the 60/70's. All the mexicans from NSW and Victoria put it down, until it's time to retire and then they settle up here and become wowsers.

I'm retired and living as disgracefully as this ol' shell will allow, lol.

So basically, all of us in Australia are taking our chances.

Fabian
Guys

I think the time has come to form an MB association in Australia.

I've put a lot of thought into this during the past few years and also I've developed a bit of a viral media profile in Hobart writing letters to the paper.

This week, Hobart Council has floated the notion of a blanket 50 kph speed limit in Hobart Council area - perfect for MBs and scooters.

Anyone else thinking in the 'lets form an association' space?

Back