Australia and oversized motors

well im in perth im 14 and ride a 30cc whipper snipper engine on my bike, it goes max about 45 but i go about 30-35km. I went past a cop car, i just went like 15km and pedaled, they didnt even look at me. Look cops hav better things to do than pull ova a bike, if they do pull u ova it must be a d*****d and u prolly will get in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is a bicycle no longer a bicycle?

Ok, I found this interview with a spokesperson from the RTA of NSW
from June 18 2008, so its current to us.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2008/06/19/2279720.htm

Given motorised bicycles get zero media attention, its an interesting issue for us.

The key thing I found here is that the RTA is looking to clarify this issue,
so its interesting times ahead.

Seems like the RTA and police have been saying things are legal that
haven't been. Such as Ebikes, but there's also talk about the engine
size limits and what is or isn't legal.

Shes a spokeperson for the Roads and Traffic Authority and she has no clue about motor's.
Thats like a school teacher saying they know nothing about books.

Oh well, at least someone's asked the RTA the question,
even if they can't answer it properly right now. :devilish:

here's another article I just found about the E-bike...
http://taree.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/right-to-ride-in-doubt/793565.aspx

Last edited:
so wtf is the law

200 watts or under but what how many people know how many watts equal a HP? By the sounds of that interview she doesnt no herself so i wouldnt bother, they cant tell how many watts an engine is without a test so if u say i bought it from this guy on ebay and he said it was 198watts then how are they gonna no? Just act dumb, dont make yourself look like u no the law and u most likely wont get in trouble.

I cannot find the thread, but it said technically they cannot define the Watts correctly because there is no way to know if the Watts is to be measured at the back wheel on a dyno or from the centre of the crankshaft or the outside diameter of the crankshaft due to leverage....,
words to that effect.
Basically, if you have a standard HT 50cc, the Watts output to measure is where, back wheel, crankshaft, drive sprocket etc. ?
But that's the problem or mathematical Arguement, where is Watts measured from on a motoredbike ?
The conclusion if I remember reading it rightly was: Have to measure it from the crankshaft because it's the source, but there is no way to test it correctly. However, let's say hypothetically you get to measure 200 Watts at the crankshaft, then with all the gearing, what will the back wheel ( final drive) measure ?
Let's say it's hypothetically 250 Watts at the back wheel and 200 Watts at the crankshaft, what, will it be ?

Last edited:
I cannot find the thread, but it said technically they cannot define the Watts correctly because there is no way to know if the Watts is to be measured at the back wheel on a dyno or from the centre of the crankshaft or the outside diameter of the crankshaft due to leverage....,
Thats is irrelevent, happytimes produce >1hp. Every engine I seen, even the radio control ones, produce more than 1hp.

The legislation is obviously there to rule out combustion engine powered bicycles.

200 Watts is a pretty restrictive limit. 2kW would be more like it! And you Aussies have plenty of Victa 2 cycle mower engines just begging to be installed on a bike! Here in the USA, we've pretty much regulated the two stroke mower out of existence. Used 2 stroke lawn boys, Toro, and Snapper mowers fetch top dollar, and are hard to find.

Okay the basics.

The Ht engine is rated at 1.5hp for the 48cc variant and 2hp for the 66.

Now 1hp = 746 watts

This is measured at the crankshaft.

Forget your idea of the gearing to effectively lowering the engines transmitted power if it is dyno'ed at the rear wheel. All automobiles are rated on engine output power, nothing else. The police will do the same.

They can calculate effective output power even if they put the bike on a wheel dyno. Its basic maths.

Doesnt matter which way we play with the figures, the output for these engines is way over the stipulated 200w legislated output even factoring manufacturing tollerances and the designers optimism.

All that matters is what the manufactorer rates the engine at, so if you put a plae on the side saying that output is less than 200 watts your fine.
A police officer would really have to be annoyed to request an engineers report measuring power output.

BSA

Back