Australia: Changes to MB rules

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by HybriPed, Apr 19, 2010.

1. HybriPed

HybriPed Member

Calling all Aussies: Rules affecting power-assisted bicycles are under review.

The main changes proposed are: to increase the power output to 250 watts; emphasise that this is the maximum continuous rated power; that the power is measured at the wheel; and that the power output cuts off at a speed no greater than 25 km/h or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling. It also allows slow-speed assist, ie the motor may operate without the rider pedalling up to a speed of 6km/h. Overall, this aligns the specifications with power assisted pedal cycles supplied in Europe, and the paper recommends using the European Standard EN 15194 as a 'deemed to comply' technical document.

The matter is tabled for discussion at a meeting of the Australian Road Rules Maintenance Group in April, being held in Western Australia this week.The proposed rules affect the future of MBs in Australia.

We need to form an association to progress this.

I have posted a lot of stuff on my website HybriPed.com. - please look at it and send me an email if you are interested in this matter.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010

2. mabman

mabman Member

Greg, that is good news for you all down there for sure. However it still leaves alot on the table as far as what type of performance you can get out of a real motored bike. If I was you I would look in to getting ADR compliant and get with the Moped class. A few more hoops to jump through but it may be a more worthwhile effort in the long run. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/index.aspx

In the state of Queensland, small Scooters of less than 50 cc (3.1 cu in) are able to be ridden with a car license, and are restricted to 50 km/h (31 mph). Mopeds that do not meet Australian design specifications are not allowed on public roads, with the exception of bicycles equipped with a meagre electrical power-source (combustion engines cannot be used) of just 200 watts (0.27 PS; 0.27 bhp). So called "monkey-bikes" were quickly made illegal as they gained huge popularity. Anything resembling an EU moped will need registration and an adult driver with a motorcycle license.
    Mopeds in Australia have to be ADR approved in order to be ridden on Australian roads. All requirements are listed in the consumer affairs website.

3. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Sound a wee bit too complicated. Especially for any gas powered bike.

2KW and 40 km/hr with no licensing and insurance requirement is what I'd be shooting for.

4. HybriDude

HybriDude Motored Bikes Sponsor

In Hobart, 50cc scooters are dangerous. We need more power for the hills and distance.

I personally believe that riders should be competent and licensed. Unfortunately, inexperienced riders are involved in serious accidents, even on scooters. Obviously speed is not a factor, but 'road savvy' experience, or lack of it is.

5. HybriDude

Tony Riccio of Rock Solid Engines in South Australia tells me that he can provide a compliant MB with compliance plate.

However, clearly the regulatory thrust is electric-friendly.

6. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

You mean that Tony's 200W engine is currently compliant. If the proposed rules as you describe them are introduced, the engine will have to cut out whenever the rider is not pedalling. Is there a plan for that with ICE MBs? Sounds to me like the ICE bikes are possibly being phased out altogether, in favour of electrics.

7. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

Let me get this right " proposed new laws say you can only use motor power alone to go up to 6 Ks per hour before peddling .

Insanity !

8. HybriDude

I think that the motors are currently compliant - meaning 200 watts at the wheel. However, I doubt that they would be compliant Power-Assisted Pedal Cycles in the future.

What is need is an Australian Design Rule covering MABs. As you know, there is an ADR for an Australian moped, probably based on the original Honda 50cc postie bike.

Bobbyoutback; I don't know where you got the 6 km/h from.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

People could almost be forgiven thinking Australia is a land of free peoples.
    I live in Australia and i see our ever tightening laws and jurisdictional system coming ever closer to a Nazi style, fascist system.

It's almost getting to the point where you can't pass wind without breaking some senseless and mindlessly implemented law in Australia.

Fabian

10. HybriDude

We've got democracy. Personally, I reckon that it is a pretty good system we have here, considering the excesses that human being are capable of.

11. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

You can find that 6 Km/h quote in the first post of this thread , here it is again :

[ The main changes proposed are: to increase the power output to 250 watts; emphasise that this is the maximum continuous rated power; that the power is measured at the wheel; and that the power output cuts off at a speed no greater than 25 km/h or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling. It also allows slow-speed assist, ie the motor may operate without the rider pedalling up to a speed of 6km/h. Overall, this aligns the specifications with power assisted pedal cycles supplied in Europe, and the paper recommends using the European Standard EN 15194 as a 'deemed to comply' technical document. ]

Bob . :whistling:

12. HybriDude

Well spotted Bob. I hadn't looked that closely. Pedal assist is exactly what it means. I don't know how Rock Solid will go in future.

13. AussieSteve

Of course, this is all assuming that the proposed changes will be implemented.
    Personally, I don't intend to worry until/unless it actually comes to pass.

14. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

Thanks ,
    If this becomes law then its game over for all motorised bikes in Australia , can't see any business making such a joke type bike for the tiny few who may want one .

I now only use mine off road for the simple reason that I,m not covered by any insurance if I were to injure someone & would by sued for a fortune .

Cheers Bob.

15. HybriPed

HybriPed Member

C'mon AussieSteve

D'ya think that a tribe of burocrats hobnob around the countryside for years on end and not expect anything to come out of it?

They were in WA last week!

16. AussieSteve

You got me wrong, Greg. I believe that ICE bikes will be phased out completely, in favour of electrics, as I mentioned in an earlier post. (I used the word 'unless' earlier to cover the other possibility - that they lighten the regulations, but I know that'll never happen.)
    After all, most of our bikes are illegal already - mine certainly is.
    All the same, until they actually begin to clamp down on the laws, I won't worry too much. I've encountered at least 50 cops in recent months and none has bothered me. That includes one trip through an RBT station and two trips in one hour through one of the new random drug testing stations.
    If we're 'putting' along and not hooning, they turn a blind eye.

17. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

6 km/hr? 3.72 mph? Are they insane? A primary school lad with a 40 kg pack on his back can better that speed on rough, mountainous terrain, off road. I know that too be true, because as a primary school boy I did just that, backpacking in the wilderness areas of the Pacific Northwest. My normal hiking pace with backpack was 4 mph - it was the figure I used in planning my trips and figuring campsites.

On the road, on a pedal bike, a single-speed w/coaster brake Schwinn if it was within 15 miles, I figured an hour of travel time, regardless of hills. I lived in the western foothills of the Cascade mountains, and it was almost all hills.

Heck, broke down and disabled on my electric scooter I get down the sidewalk at 8 mph.

Your officials are fools. 6 km/hr? Why don't they try honesty, and just flat out say they do not want anyone to have any independent means of travel they cannot heavily regulate, tax, and control?

18. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

Well said SS , words can't describe such moronic imbecilic despot dipsticks !
    6km/h :puke2: what a turd brain idea .

As you can tell I'm not fan "

Bob.

19. pedalless

pedalless Member

So dumb, i just looked at our laws mobility scooters can do 10km/hr legally
    so we will be passed by grannys in wheelchairs if we stick to power and not pedal haha

20. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

Yep Pedalless this sort of madness will be punished at the ballet box , just wish there were more of us to push the grubs into oblivion .

Cheers Bob.