Australia: Changes to MB rules

All petrol MBs will still be illegal under those new proposals. Our combustion engines are multiple times the power limit. Don't know what all the fuss is about unless you are an e-bike person.

Last edited by a moderator:
All petrol MBs will still be illegal under those new proposals. Our combustion engines are multiple times the power limit. Don't know what all the fuss is about unless you are an e-bike person.

I thought the 49cc motors were already ilegal? Makes no difference. I have new 500watt e-bike but i not worried about these laws major reason i got this instead of the gas bike was for the under the radar its not noticed that it has power makes no noise and when you pedal looks like you ride normal bike it great. Hope though law gets amended better would be good to have even more power can do 40km/hr now though so this is enough i think on a bicycle and have a good ride for 20km range if i need it but my bum sore after half that anyway i take car if i want further range hahda. I wont be sad to see these gas bikes go they sound horrible stink and pollute environment to much.

I thought the 49cc motors were already ilegal? Makes no difference. I have new 500watt e-bike but i not worried about these laws major reason i got this instead of the gas bike was for the under the radar its not noticed that it has power makes no noise and when you pedal looks like you ride normal bike it great. Hope though law gets amended better would be good to have even more power can do 40km/hr now though so this is enough i think on a bicycle and have a good ride for 20km range if i need it but my bum sore after half that anyway i take car if i want further range hahda. I wont be sad to see these gas bikes go they sound horrible stink and pollute environment to much.
The regulations propose that power-assist cuts out at 25 kph. Personally, I think that is a bit silly when the traffic is doing 50+ kph

I read this thread on Endless Sphere discussing this they also think this rule is stupid there, it is at least doable on an electric bicycle though without much work, i can't see how
it is doable on an 49cc petrol bicycle even if it was under 250watt limit. Good news is though that the 250watt is taken at the rear wheel, this would allow a larger engine than 200watt i think you could prpbaly detune the stock 49cc enough even so it was only output of 250watt at the rear. Someone would need to work on motor and dyno it obviously but it would be more doable than a 200watt output motor.

My Gasbike is legal , it has a certified 200watts , 250 at the wheel would be fine , that would be around 300 or so at the crank .

Maybe legal under current law but under proposed change, you cant have power assist without pedalling after 6km/hr and no power assist after 25km/hr...does your bike do this now?

Not really bothered mate , I mentioned my bike because I was annoyed at the previous comments about gasbikes being illegal , they aint in NSW if they are under 200w ,as in right now that is .

Not really bothered mate , I mentioned my bike because I was annoyed at the previous comments about gasbikes being illegal , they aint in NSW if they are under 200w ,as in right now that is .

Lets get to the reality of the stupid law as it stands .

Motor assisted pedal cycles with electric or petrol engines are exempt from registration, provided the maximum engine output power does not exceed 200 watts. These vehicles must have been designed as a bicycle - that is, to be propelled by human power, with the motor attached as a supplementary aid only. Riders must follow the same road rules as for pedal cycles without motors, including wearing a helmet.

The wording supplementary ' is the trap to bust us , what that means is if we use just the motor to ride only ~ we are illegal ! idiots have made that law :sick:

Simon , you have changed some stuff from the original specifications of the 200 watt motor yes ?
Now you have more power with still having the a so called legal 200 watt original specification .

I don't have a problem with that :D what is going to be your Real worry is when your bike causes a drama on a public road , if they test your motor & its over the the 200 watt level your culpable & can be sued big time.

Bob.

No its all back to how it was made at RSE , honest injun . If I cause a drama , at the very fast speeds I ride of around 15 to 20 klms , that I have to PEDAL to reach , I guess I will have face the consequences , mate , in all probability, it will be the other way around , the feckers try to kill me everytime I take the bike into town.

Last edited:
Back