Australia: Changes to MB rules

in all probability, it will be the other way around , the feckers try to kill me everytime I take the bike into town.

You will tlikely be blamed for causing the accident because your riding an unregistered unroadworthy vehicle without a license , Riding unregistered vehicle without a license on the road isn't something you should be taking lightly, but as you say "Not really bothered mate" So i guess keep smiling when your arrested fined and the bike is confiscated, as that is what WILL happen if the Police follow the law.

Last time I checked , a license is not available for bicycles . your quite wrong anyway , my bike is legal , I think you admitted that yours exceeds the power limits , so your hypothetical doom and gloom scenario that you seem to have placed me in your imagination ,would be more likely to happen to you.
have a nice day .

Last edited:
I read this thread on Endless Sphere discussing this they also think this rule is stupid there, it is at least doable on an electric bicycle though without much work, i can't see how
it is doable on an 49cc petrol bicycle even if it was under 250watt limit. Good news is though that the 250watt is taken at the rear wheel, this would allow a larger engine than 200watt i think you could prpbaly detune the stock 49cc enough even so it was only output of 250watt at the rear. Someone would need to work on motor and dyno it obviously but it would be more doable than a 200watt output motor.

There are 2-stroke 48cc engine kits that comply with the under 200W regulation - Rock Solid sell one. I sell the Rotary (Sachs copy) 30cc rear axle motor that is max 197W at the rear spindle shaft and is very quiet and clean but rather slow averaging about 23 km\hr on flat ground. The trouble with 200W is that it wouldn't pull the skin off a custard and neither would 250W.
We all know this on this Forum so we don't need to debate it much.
We also know that the current regulatory reform is being undertaken by the Road safety Division of the RTA (NSW) on behalf of all States and that they aren't liaising with any user groups but are very closely in cohorts with Bicycles NSW who do not represent ant motored bikers but are heavily subsidised by the two major manufacturers of electric bike motors.
They probably think that once they get petrol engined bicycles out of the way the field will be clear to up the power output of electric bicycles.
If I ended up in trouble because some of my bikes are over the 200W limit I would make sure that in my defence I pointed out that the cycle shops are currently selling motors up to 3 times over the current power limitation of 200W. I've even seen 800W motors out there.
The urgency of providing a sustainable alternative to car useage will outstrip whatever the RTA try to come up with. Peak Oil is even bigeer than the RTA! Ultimately the decision will be political and we already know that the smart lithium ion electric motors are not as clean and green as they would have you believe. The lead acid ones are better in terms of recycling but the amount of recharging with Hunter valley coal fired electricity is not good. Added to that the range just doesn't cut it if you live outside of Sydney's Easterd Suburbs. The motors are pretty unfixable because parts aren't available and quality of motor is a big problem. Our local Australian builder of electric bikes ceased trading last year because of all sorts of supply problems and quality control problems.
Having once been badly injured by a silent electric lorry whilst on a plant nursery inspection I have first hand experience of the danger of silent speed.
I am sure there is a better Forum somewhere that Pedalless might like to join that is devoted to electric motors and intense dislike of petrol-engined cycles because this Forum is really peopled by petrol-engined bike users and we know some of them are totally irresponsible hoons but there are some great members on this site who I respect a great deal. Simon is one of those I respect for his knowledge and his ethos.
In my own opinion I think a small clean 4-stroke motor offers a really sustainable alternative to car useage and if the have to be licensed and registered then so be it but I do not want to see the baby being thrown out with the bathwater.
Writing to your local Fed & State MPs to point out the amazing potential of motorised bicycles (of any sort) and asking for an appointment really helps.
I also notice that my motored bike blog has had hits from both Peter Garret (ex-Minister for Environment) and Malcolm Turnbull (ex- Opposition Leader).
Yes, petrol-engined bikes might well be banned but as yet they are not and with Peak Oil around the next corner they could just as easily become unbanned. Only time will tell. If electric motors suddenly improve I will seriously consider using them but around where I live (Byron Shire, NSW) they are only good for a trip to the shop and back.

Last time I checked , a license is not available for bicycles . .

Correct, means nothing as far as your concerned as your not riding a bicycle, as said if new laws are implemented you have an ilegal unregistered motorcycle not a bicycle.

I have not admitted anything about my bike how do you know what i have? I use e-bike hub motor that doesn't output over 250watt at rear wheel i got this instead of 49cc petrol motor because it is legal i have had my share of run ins with the police in the past have paid thousands in fines also and been disqualified for driving for years, all i need for full legal when law change is pedelec control unit, i will be completely legal you however will still be riding an illegal motorbike in the eyes of the law, unregistered uninsured and i guess syou have no motorcycle license? People have been done already so i know it happens. You have a nice day to :)

Irish John i not talking about current MB law this thread about changing to the current law, when happens 200watt petrol bikes will all be ilegal they don't pass the other criterier set down which is no power after 6km/hr without pedaling and no power over 25km/hr. No petrol bikes do this that i have read about. So you will all be ilegal motorcycles unregistered and in big for huge fine if busted. I don't care what you do if you want to risk this fine i am just the messenger. Got problem go talk to your local politician about getting it changed haha good luck with that too. As to electric, people on this forum are so far behind the current technology i laugh when i hear people say tyhings like "when motors get better i will consider getting one" need to do reseach and see whats available, only thing bad about electric is their price, you can get 100km on a charge if you have the $$ for batteries and they can be faster than the petrol bikes. Again though do what you want i dont care just letting you know the laws.

Last edited:
I thought the 49cc motors were already ilegal? Makes no difference. I have new 500watt e-bike but i not worried about these laws major reason i got this instead of the gas bike was for the under the radar its not noticed that it has power makes no noise and when you pedal looks like you ride normal bike it great. Hope though law gets amended better would be good to have even more power can do 40km/hr now though so this is enough i think on a bicycle and have a good ride for 20km range if i need it but my bum sore after half that anyway i take car if i want further range hahda. I wont be sad to see these gas bikes go they sound horrible stink and pollute environment to much.
Here you go ,this is how I know what you got buddy , how do you know that I dont have a motorcycle license ...Huh ?

pedalless said:
i not talking about current MB law this thread about changing to the current law, when happens 200watt petrol bikes will all be ilegal they don't pass the other criterier set down which is no power after 6km/hr without pedaling and no power over 25km/hr.

You say 'when (it) happens' and '200watt petrol bikes will all be ilegal they don't pass the other criterier set down'.
Don't you mean 'if it happens'? Nothing has happened at all and yet people are panicking.
Next, the bit about 6kph without pedalling won't happen, even on electrics.
Controllers currently available don't include that feature, only the 25kph max speed. The Chinese manufacturers aren't going to make special units for Australia.

You say 'when (it) happens' and '200watt petrol bikes will all be ilegal they don't pass the other criterier set down'.
Don't you mean 'if it happens'? Nothing has happened at all and yet people are panicking.
Next, the bit about 6kph without pedalling won't happen, even on electrics.
Controllers currently available don't include that feature, only the 25kph max speed. The Chinese manufacturers aren't going to make special units for Australia.

Quite right Steve. Except the Chinese already make special units for Australia and they are known in the manufacturing trade as rejects. :giggle:

I stand corrected, John. Of course, you're right.

Back when I was doing TV repairs, I quickly learned that we in Oz were getting third-rate goods. When I did web searches for schematic diagrams for Australian TV models, I invariably ended up in Poland, Yugoslavia, Czechoslavakia, etc.
Our small population ensures that we only get left-over rubbish rather than products designed especially for our market.

Setting up a gas bike to comply with the upper and lower speed limits shouldn't be terribly difficult.

If necessary, I'd get a good quality digital speedo, and feed its signal output through an arduino controlled electronic kill switch. Set it up with a pedal motion sensor, and if not pedalling it kills the engine below the minimum, and kills it at the maximum. Of course it would be a hassle, and immensely irritating, and if the engine output sprocket is not set up to free wheel when not powered it would act like an anchor. It can be done, of that I'm quite certain.

Back