Australian Wildfires

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KilroyCD, Feb 8, 2009.

1. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I've been hearing a lot on the news about the wildfires raging out of control in south eastern Australia. I hope that our Aussie friends are all okay. Here's a question to our Australian members, are any of you near the fire zones?

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Black Saturday.

I'm no-where near the fires & that's how i want it.
    To date 100 ppl have been killed & 700 homes destroyed.......the worst fire in that States history.
    HORRIFIC the stories survivors are telling.

3. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Rang up a friend yesterday before I found out about the fires, friend was quivering and said can't talk right now unless it's urgent.
    Then saw it on the news. Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected.

4. reddbak

reddbak Guest

I'm closer to the flooding up north queensland, but it's truly horrifying to hear of people fried in their cars while trying to escape the Victorian firestorms. Anything alloy such as wheels just disintegrated. Four or so cars involved in a collision when escaping were burnt were they came to rest. The police have declared the area a crime-scene and arson is most definitely the crime. Wish they could hang the mongrels!

5. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

More hopes and prayers for you from your Brother's in the State's.

6. BSA

BSA Guest

My thoughts are with all those affected.

BSA

7. mabman

mabman Member

A horrible tragedy. And apparently a result of an act of arson which makes it all the more horrid.

Catastrophic events of this magnitude change the course of so many lives and the death toll is just the beginning of the grief that the affected people face. Sending whatever energy I can spare to those in need.

8. stude13

stude13 Active Member

i just heard an australian minister say they expect these wild swings in the weather conditions to become the norm. it seems the same istrue in north america and europe and everywhere. here is where some will chime in about that rediculous al gore. best wishes to our very southern neighbors.

9. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

You know, three days (or so) ago I thought, "Fires in Australia. Bummer."
    A day later it was, "Man, this is getting serious"
    Almost immediately it became, "This is terrible"

I'm awfully sorry to hear this. Let's hope some rains come and those who started this get caught.

10. Aussie_Glenn

Aussie_Glenn Member

I live about 10km from where the fires are (but towards suburbia) so pretty safe. Not the same for friends and family. Thankfully no lives lost of friends that I know of but contacting people is hard. Workmates have lost family, friends and houses. Friend who volunteers for the CFA spent Sunday searching houses looking for bodies. He wont speak of what he saw. I just saw the look on his face on Monday - that alone scared the s**t out of me.

The response from the community has been great. Proud to be an Aussie today.

Cheers,

Glenn