Auto To Slip-clutch Conversion

HEY QUENTON:

I saw an online exploded view of the Shimano CB-E110 Coaster Brake, and I was surprised to see it had internal expanding shoes!

However, I couldn't tell even in the zoomed picture if the flanges were pressed or welded.

All the bikes I had as a kid had that stack if rotor/stator discs that were pressed together whan the brake was applied.

Is that Shimano coaster brake a good one that is equal to the stresses of a motored bike?

Thanks...
HAL

Hal, the type of brake you had back then was the good ol' New Departure brake. I like New Departure brakes, but they can be tricky on a motorbike. They tend to heat up more than those with expanding shoes (like the Bendix, Morrow or Shimano). I have a ND on my '46 Columbia (with a 48cc GruBee engine), and before I finally got it adjusted "just right", it had gotten so hot it dulled the chrome finish.

HEY CHRIS:

Today I ordered the Worksman #4136A 26" wheel with Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake and 11 gauge (0.120") spokes. It has a clincher rim instead of the Whizzer straight-wall rim.

The coaster brake's spoke flanges are WELDED to the hub!

As soon as I get it and mount the sheave, I'll order the slip clutch parts from Quenton! YEAH!

HAL

HEY CHRIS:

Today I ordered the Worksman #4136A 26" wheel with Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake and 11 gauge (0.120") spokes. It has a clincher rim instead of the Whizzer straight-wall rim.

As soon as I get it and mount the sheave, I'll order the slip clutch parts from Quenton! YEAH!

HAL

Don't forget to take Quenton's advice and open up the sheave clips to avoid scoring the spokes. It would be best to use a Dremel Tool or a bast ard file.

HEY CHRIS:

HAL

Also, Hal, when you get your rim you will be impressed at how heavy it is. I mean that both in structural soundness as well as overall weight. Heck, I've picked up complete bikes that weigh less than one Worksman wheel alone!
I haven't mounted my wheels yet, as I've been working on another project plus I think it's imperative I replace Thumper's clutch pulley bearing first. I'd like to think I'll have the wheels on in about a week's time.

Wait till you see how nice the Worksman rim is. I just finished putting them on my Whizzer front and rear. The rear drum brake makes it very difficult to accomplish. I had to use sheave clips from a 1950 with the 5" brake and it still is not perfect. I do not recommend the Worksman rear drum wheel because of the expense and difficulty mounting the sheave. I wish Whizzer would just offer a heavier spoke option. This would make it much easier and cheaper to make the wheels stronger. Back to the Worksman wheels. They are very heavy. They weigh at least twice as much as stock wheels. I can even feel it in the ride too. I still avoid potholes but now I don't cringe at every imperfection in the road. You will want to get a front wheel too after you get the rear. I only have about 15 miles on them so far but I like them.

Jim

Hi Hal,

Just a few comments about wheels. Your ride will change a lot more than you expect. When you remove the narrow rims and replace them with wider rims the tires assume a different shape. The contact area of the tire to road increases on the wider rims. Using a 2.125 tire on a 1.75 rim rounds the tread pattern and reduces the amount of tread touching the road. Everyone that rides my personal Whizzers comments on the more solid feel.

The worksman will add new meaning to "solid ride".

Have fun,
Quenton

HEY QUENTON:

You mean Oscar's stock rims are only 1.75"?

I thought the rim width always matches the size marked on the tire's sidewall: 26X 2.125".

Anyway, I'm glad the Worksman wheel is heavier...it'll have more rolling inertia and a greater gyro-stabilizing effect! PLUS, it's chrome steel, not black.

I do intend to get a Worksman front wheel, too!

Those 0.120" spokes are the exact diameter of a #31 drill bit!

Yes, I intend to open the spoke pockets on the sheave clamps!

HAL

Hi Hal & Oscar,

I also thought using rims for the size of tires was basic engineering. I was never able to understand the logic of using 1.75" rims with 2.125" tires, but I just changed all the rims on my personal Whizzers to the wider 2.125" rims. As I stated in an earlier post, you will be amazed at the difference in the ride. It will feel more solid, corner better, but most importantly it will ride much smooooooooooother.

Have fun,

HEY QUENTON:

I would like to keep the overall gear ratio (crankshaft-to-rear wheel) the same with the slip clutch as I have with the auto-clutch, which has a 90mm output pulley.

This way, I can still enjoy the leisurely pace of the engine at my usual cruising speeds of 25-28 MPH.

HAL

Back