Automatic motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bikejock, Aug 13, 2015.

1. bikejock

bikejock Member

I'm working on getting my motorcycle M1 license. I tried shifting on my friends Honda Rebel but I hated it. Stalled on me several times. I currently use my friends 150cc scooter for driving practice because it has an automatic transmission making it very easy to drive.

Motorized bikes are usually automatic unless it has a jackshaft but even then they are easier to drive than a motorcycle with a manual transmission. Can someone recommend some automatic motorcycles? So far I've only found 2 automatic motorcycles built by Honda but they are pretty expensive. I also want to know if other companies make other automatic motorcycles.

2. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

So you tried shifting a few times, didn't quite get the hang of it, and you want to give up? Sure, therebare a few motorcycles that shift automatically but shifting a manual can't be that hard. All you do is pull in the clutch and shift up or down with the footpeg, you can even upshift without clutching. You just roll off the throttle, shift up and roll back on the throttle. Look it up. Or spend a ridiculous amount of money on an automatic.

3. bikejock

bikejock Member

I guess I should try practicing more on a manual bike. I'm just soo used to an automatic. Only drove a Mini Cooper S with a manual shifter and that shifted very smoothly proababily because it had a modern BMW transmission.

This might seem a little out there but, is there a way to swap a manual for an automatic in a motorcycle? I've seen it done a bunch of times on cars because allot of people go from a stick to an automatic in classic cars.

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

don't be lazy, just learn the sequential

5. butre

butre Well-Known Member

Aprilla makes the Mana 850 GT, which has a CVT. There's a company out of Illinois who used to retrofit torqueflites to harleys but their website is down and I can't find a phone number. the conversion was an extra 10 grand on top of the cost of the motorcycle though.

other than that, you'd be stuck with scooters. you can do a top tank conversion to make it look a little more manly if you really need to.

you could consider a suicide shifter too, wouldn't be too expensive and would make it more like a car transmission.

6. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

If you absolutely do not want to shift, get a 125 - 150cc motor scooter. Chinese ones start around $1000 and a good Taiwanese or Korean Scooter will cost between 2 to 3 thousand dollars. They do 50-55 mph.
    I would work on learning to shift some more before making your decision.

7. bikejock

bikejock Member

I practiced shifting a little more this weekend on the rebel. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Only stalled once after a few around the block practice runs.

Also found out that motorized bikes DO require a license in CA so it's good I decided to work on it. If it were up to me, anything you can't take a DMV road test on shouldn't need a license. Maybe some sort of provisional permit that only requires a DMV written test and the one time moped registration.

Let's face it, there's no way in hell the DMV would let anyone do a road test on a motorized bike which sucks because it looks like a motorized bike or even a moped could handle the corse well because they dont seem to have you go fast on any part of the corse. A 50cc bike could do the road test speeds and maneuvers easily.

least I got my friends 150cc scooter he's lending me and I'm getting some good shifting practice on his rebel. It's been a blast practicing. I'm going in for my road test next month.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  8. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

If you already have your M1 permit, when test time comes you could use your friend's 150cc scooter to pass the driving test. It's quite easy in this state!

9. bikejock

bikejock Member

That's what I plan to do. The 150cc scooter is by far one of the easiest vehicles I ever drove next to a motorized bike. It had a few issues I fixed myself. First the brake system needed fixing because it started leaking brake fluid, then the rear tail light bracket broke but fixed that. Back ordering parts took a long time because they had to ship directly from the aprilla factory in Italy.

10. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

here in nsw australia, we have to pass this pre-learner course to get our license...

it basically consists of two days.

the first day...you dont even start the engine.

you get split up into pairs. one pushes, one rides.

the rider learns to...

setup the brake...gently...to take out slop in the forks.

pull in clutch.

apply both brakes smoothly and firmly and stop...

stopping. they really hammer you on that one.

2nd day, yay...engines start!

you learn what a friction point is.

in first gear, clutch in, no throttle, foot on rear brake.

gently let the clutch go and listen/watch the tacho. the rpm drops. that is the "friction point."

DO NOT RELEASE! pull it back in quick. repeat. get the feel of where the clutch is just starting to load the engine. sooner or later it comes naturally...

you havent even moved yet!

so, now...with a touch of throttle...release rear brake...gently release clutch to friction point... and glide away. no jerking, no stalling...as you gain speed...release clutch...get enough speed, go for 2nd... pull in clutch, shift up, release shift, release clutch slowly with a touch of throttle again...

thats basically it.
    you feel like a **** when youve been riding for years doing it...but i advocate the basic lessons for any beginner... even then, the ex-army instructor we had...failed one guy, had him in tears on the first day...and failed me on the braking section cus i always did brakes before clutch or some trivial nonsense! at least i only had to do a half hour test again the next week rather than sit the whole course like that other guy...if he ever did... seriously. that instructor was like the "soup nazi" from seinfeld... he also made me use the dirt bike rather than a low slung cb250... thats what you get for saying "previous experience"... :rofl:

do NOT try riding at first but get the feel of the controls. the bike. yourself. jiddery? shouldnt be... calm down!

learn how to STOP rather than how to go fast. as silly as it sounds...get your friend to push you if you dont feel comfortable at first. i think youve gotten past that point but ;)

was years ago but i think the exact procedure was to.. set up front brakes... you maynt need to stop at all! gently roll off throttle...if required.(sometimes its better to get off the brake and hit the throttle!) pull in clutch. then start squeezing them brakes on, the smoother you are, the harder you can get them on! thats how you pop endos, by knowing just how hard/fast you can hit without losing traction... and having the right bike ;)

tap tap down on gears to first gear, stop... check in mirrors in case you see HTR--NEK coming up behind you! (kenworth...)

keep your eyes OPEN...

anything else (automatics...pfft) is cheating and btw...i advocate that any learner DRIVER should first spend a year or two on a bike... FIRST.