Automobiles are not designed to be really safe!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by boyntonstu, Feb 5, 2015.

1. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

A bunch of years ago, I saw an elderly couple in a sedan wearing helmets.

It really got my attention.

Looking more closely, I saw a roll cage and 5 point shoulder harnesses.

At first, my youth kicked in and I thought that they were a little silly.

Later, I recognized that NASCAR drivers walk away from 200 MPH crashes.

I was the silly one.

Today, we can easily make cars that will protect its passengers at most sub 85 MPH crashes.

If NASCARS can do it at 200 MPH how much easier would it be at 85?

Most folks choose style over safety, at least until they or their loved ones crash.

2. troyg

troyg Member

Huh?Not everybody crashes, I know life long VW drivers without so much as a fender bender.I miss the days of the suicide door, I'll take a car with nice lines, run with a good 'ol carb, over one with airbags (that you don't need) that kill you, so full of computers you can't work on them.Natural selection needs to be implemented if we are to evolve.
  3. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

(I apologize in advance - this is my thing!) American roads are deathtraps. There's a great deal of concern about car safety in the US, at least from the INSIDE. This widespread invasion of the landcape by this thing called a car has been out of hand for decades. There's no serious safety provisions at all for people OUTSIDE the cars.

35000 Americans are killed each year by cars. Your car is the most dangerous threat to the life of you and to your family.

We haven't even started addressing this.
  4. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
    An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
    More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.
    Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.
    Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
    Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world's roads, on average over 1,000 a day.
    Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world's vehicles.
    Road crashes cost USD $518 billion globally, costing individual countries from 1-2% of their annual GDP.
    Road crashes cost low and middle-income countries USD $65 billion annually, exceeding the total amount received in developmental assistance.
    Unless action is taken, road traffic injuries are predicted to become the fifth leading cause of death by 2030.

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year
    An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
    Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year
    Nearly 8,000 people are killed in crashes involving drivers ages 16-20
    Road crashes cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person
    Road crashes are the single greatest annual cause of death of healthy U.S. citizens traveling abroad
  5. troyg

troyg Member

Totally cool, I'm just debating, I mean no offense in my opinions, but, I'm of the opinion that:
    there are too many people, a human life isn't that important compared to all life, and we need things to thin the herd, as new medicines are making humans live too long.
    I would counter the above by saying "humans" not "cars" are the most dangerous threat.
  6. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

it always amuses me, as i puff away, how some yuppie sitting at a streetside cafe can get my smoking banned, whilst being completely oblivious to all the garbage belching out of these passing cars exhaust pipes.

do the math.

say you have a 4 litre engine.

your accelerating away from the lights, and hitting 6000rpm (i say that for easy maths, not reality!)

that is, 100 revolutions per second.

now, its a four stroke, so only half of those revolutions are sucking in air...

50 times a second. now, multiply by 4 litres.

thats 200 litres of air, clean air being tainted...polluted, forever contaminated... EVERY FREAKIN SECOND.

thats a bit smaller than a 44 gallon drum.

now, how many cars just passed by while we had this coffee and i explained the maths to you?

*sparks up another ciggy and is glad he lives in a place you can actually smell when the odd car goes by... from 100 feet*
    (wikipedia...diesel exhaust)
    This is a list of chemical components that have been found in diesel exhaust.

Contaminant Note Particulate extract mass concentration
    acetaldehyde IARC Group 2B carcinogens
    acrolein IARC Group 3 carcinogens
    aniline IARC Group 3 carcinogens
    antimony compounds Toxicity similar to arsenic poisoning
    arsenic IARC Group 1 Carcinogens, endocrine disruptor
    benzene IARC Group 1 Carcinogens
    beryllium compounds IARC Group 1 Carcinogens
    biphenyl It has mild toxicity.
    bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate endocrine disruptor
    1,3-Butadiene IARC Group 2A carcinogens
    cadmium IARC Group 1 Carcinogens, endocrine disruptor
    chlorine Byproduct of Urea injection
    chlorobenzene It has "low to moderate" toxicity.
    chromium compounds IARC Group 3 carcinogens
    cobalt compounds
    cresol isomers
    cyanide compounds
    dibutyl phthalate endocrine disruptor
    1,8-dinitropyrene Carcinogen[citation needed]
    dioxins and dibenzofurans
    formaldehyde IARC Group 1 Carcinogens
    inorganic lead endocrine disruptor
    manganese compounds
    mercury compounds IARC Group 3 carcinogens
    methyl ethyl ketone It may cause birth defects.[citation needed]
    naphthalene IARC Group 2B carcinogens
    nickel IARC Group 2B carcinogens

3-Nitrobenzanthrone One of the strongest carcinogens known 0.6 to 6.6 ppm

4-nitrobiphenyl 2.2 ppm
    phenol endocrine disruptor[citation needed]
    polycyclic organic matter, including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
    Pyrene 3532–8002 ppm
    Benzo(e)pyrene 487–946 ppm
    Benzo(a)pyrene IARC Group 1 carcinogen 208–558 ppm
    Fluoranthene 3399–7321 ppm
    selenium compounds
    styrene IARC Group 2B carcinogens
    toluene IARC Group 3 carcinogens
    xylene isomers and mixtures: o-xylenes, m-xylenes, p-xylenes IARC Group 3 carcinogens

hmmm... lots of nasty sounding names but yes...cigarettes do kill...

only just found this, so i dont know if i agree yet or not, but i shall link it anyway :)
  7. troyg

troyg Member

But if we don't breath that how are humans supposed to evolve into something useful, jk.
  8. HeadSmess

true true. its a bit lame, just sitting around waiting for natural causes. speed the process up a bit huh? :)

hmmmm. apparently having a tan is very very dangerous.

but black people sorta naturally have a tan...its simply melanin in the skin...produced to PROTECT it from the sun... (yes, they do get sunburnt if they stay inside a lot and then go sunbake all day at the beginning of summer!)

it isnt the TAN thats dangerous. its the absolute roasting that unprotected, untanned skin cells receive when left out in the sun for days on end...

strange that the old bushies, the guys that wear nothing but singlets and stubby shorts all day in the aussie sun...they dont get melatoma's too often. not compared to the yuppie crowd that simply go sunbathing because its the trendy thing to do, then post pics of their lobsterlike complexions on snapchat or whatever the latest craze is...

strange that we evolved under the sun over a few million years, but flourescent lights (that emit lots of UV light) have been around for about a century... of course, the lights are harmless and the sun is very very nasty and dangerous and really should be banned. (ahhhh, montgomery burns!)

noone wants to think about how 50/60Hz power supplies and the EMR produced may affect anything from cell growth to metabolism and natural biorhythms, because we already have our culprits! cigarettes, the sun, and...hmmm. oh. leaded petrol!

yep, that link just said everything i already knew.

that the tetraethyl lead used in petrol was and is harmless, and a darn sight better than the carcinogenic muck that is put in now. benzene has been banned for sale since the sixties for being highly carcinogenic...but is now readily available in petrol?

dont worry, the cat will save us! ignore that it takes five minutes to start working (dont you love that smell it makes in the garage when you first start up?) that they do eventually stop working (ever quoted a new cat for a car? no wonder most people leave them alone.)

and of course, there was that australian guy that made an exhaust gas scrubber. very practical, 100% effective, only one or two small bearing ever need maintenance, and the occasional emptying of the cannister, about every 100,000 or so... only cost ten or twenty dollars, too!

(how many diesels do you see with the dust catcher/water trap full and overflowing? a lot!)

completely ignored. as mentioned in that link... government dont give a hoot about the technical, confusing stuff. they just do what ensures theyll get voted in again, ensuring they make lots and lots and LOTS of money :)

to the best of my knowledge, they are a spinning disc, with slots in it. "supersonic nozzles" something to do with air pressures and so forth, and the particles are flung out much like in a cyclone. details are scant and its a long time since i came across the article in a magazine...
  9. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Diesel fuel is bad. Wonder why so many kids today have asthma?

I like to keep my points simple and clear:

Every gallon of gasoline burned creates 20 lbs (!) of CO2.

That's why we need to burn gasoline as efficiently as possible.
  10. HeadSmess

2 C8H18 + 25 O2 → 16 CO2 + 18 H2O

while i do agree this is bad, i have to say that the CO2 factor is absolute BS... another mass media disinformation cause. water vapor in the atmosphere has a larger effect on climate than CO2. why are deserts so hot by day and cold by night? no water vapor...

what should be of concern are sulfur dioxides. nitrous oxides. and of course, the aromatics and ring molecules of hydrocarbons that cause cancer...

Gasoline, as used worldwide in the vast number of internal combustion engines used in transport and industry, has a significant impact on the environment, both in local effects (e.g., smog) and in global effects (e.g., effect on the climate). Gasoline may also enter the environment uncombusted, as liquid and as vapors, from leakage and handling during production, transport and delivery, from storage tanks, from spills, etc. As an example of efforts to control such leakage, many (underground) storage tanks are required to have extensive measures in place to detect and prevent such leaks. The material safety data sheet for unleaded gasoline shows at least 15 hazardous chemicals occurring in various amounts. Benzene and many anti-knocking additives are carcinogenic.