Average Miles per Gallon (MPG)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by monster, Mar 30, 2008.

1. monster

monster New Member

hi everyone

i was just wondering what everyone's average miles per gallon was? could you post your engine specs and your average mpg.

cheers everyone :grin:

2. I did a map quest of my route one time,but I use the bike trail so it may be off by a mile either way,then after a round trip I checked to see how much gas I had left.
    After a round about figure of 60 miles,I found I still had 1/4 tank of gas in my Happy Time tank. So I figured 20 miles every 1/4 tank,80 miles a full tank,full tank is 1/2 gallon so total MPG on my Happy Time is 160 MPG.
    It's the 70cc engine.
    Take into account too that I shut my engine off a lot on my travels to be courteus to the others on the trail and it's shut down when I roll downhill so your mileage would be different if you like your engine idling when not in use.
    I also ride with the engine just purring with the 44 tooth sprocket average speed between 10 and 15 mph.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  3. spunout

spunout Member

i've done the math. 70cc, Keihin PC10c carb, 36tooth sprocket. i avg a measley 100mpg. i ride it like an idiot, though.
  4. graucho

graucho Active Member

My latest, 80cc HappyTime 44 tooth on a big cruiser. Exactly 119 mpg. Others have got 87, 118, 122

Attached Files:

• 1a.jpg
      File size:
      224.2 KB
  5. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

On my '46 Columbia cruiser I have a 48cc Grubee with the 50t rear sprocket. I haven't figured it exactly, but it's in the neighborhood of 120mpg.
  6. sparky

sparky Active Member

I've only gone through about half a gallon so far, but I've gone what seems like 40~50mi so far.

20" wheels, 33cc engine, 44t sprocket
  7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

8. decompiler

decompiler Member

At 269 pounds, I am one of the heaviest rider on the site. And at that weight, I seriously doubt that I will be getting 120 MPG. So now I'm curious as to how many gallons I'll actually be getting when I finally get my motor installed.

It will be an interesting experiment.
  9. Ride slow and you might be surprised. These engines burn the most when it's winded out and the least when it's just purring.
  10. decompiler

decompiler Member

30 miles an hour on a bicycle must be really scary. I'm definitely not a speed demon. I just need a motorized bicycle to help get me up the hills on my town. Besides, there's just not that many places you can simply floor it within the central part of town.

Lugging my lard butt up and down all these hills will really drag down my MPG.

I have tried to find an exact answer but I haven't seemed to have found it - What benefits do a 50 tooth sprocket have over the standard 44 tooth sprocket? Does it offer more pulling power? Does it help the engine not work as hard as it might with a 44 tooth? I am buying an engine in a few days and the engine I chose comes with a 50 tooth sprocket.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

50t will be better for low end power.
  12. decompiler

decompiler Member

Thank you, Alaskavan.

I will need that low end power because of all the in-city riding I'll be doing. I'll be doing a lot of "floor it!" starts.
  13. loquin

loquin Active Member

I'm getting 120 mpg on my staton friction drive, with the Mitsubishi 43cc 2-stroke. And, that pulling an ex defensive tackle, who's over 320 pounds...
  14. I ride mine WOT pretty much all the time and the millage is not that impressive. I'd hazard a guess and say around 50 mpg. On the streets I ride you can't get away with going 10 mph... the cagers will get ya at those speeds.
  15. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I weigh 275, and I am pretty sure i am getting at least 100 mpg
  16. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I tried the 50T. My top speed with 26" wheels was 23 mph. At that speed it sounded like the engine wanted to blow. I like the 44T much better. I like to cruise at about 20 mph though
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  17. monster

monster New Member

engine efficiency ?

so the average mpg is about 118 mpg. which is 31 miles per litre or 2.9 miles per KWH. i get about 30 miles per KWH on my 1.5KW electric bike if i pace myself, or about 20 if i dont and my X503 is about 75% efficient. does this mean that the petrol bikes are 10.9% efficient = 2.9*0.75/20*100 ??

is this a fair way to work out the engine efficiency?
  18. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Monster, there are some variables here, the main one being how much pedaling is going on. On my trike, I get 125 mpg (a recent gearing change should improve that) if I don't pedal at all. If I do pedal, I could stretch that out.
    Regarding the fairness of your method of analysing efficiency: I would think that for a true efficiency estimate for an electric vehicle, one would need to factor in the efficiency of the generation of the electricity.
  19. jimmyglitter

jimmyglitter Member

miles per gallon

My ride:
    Montague hummer with a Staton rack mount 33cc Robin subaru.
    Me 196 pounds (solid muscle of course)
    225 miles per gallon (imperial)
    180 miles per gallon (US)

I run about 26 miles an hour and pedal assist when I can, so I can really be solid muscle. ;-)

It costs me 18 cents to ride to work, and that is at Canadian fuel prices.
  20. monster

monster New Member

alaskavan -your dead right there and sorry if i didn't also mention the power station losses which are high.

average power station is about 40% efficient which makes the the electric option almost the same for emissions as the petrol engine. and the main cost for electric is in replacing the batteries every 1000 cycles or so.