Awesome 2 stroke rd500

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by keatonx, Jan 25, 2014.

1. keatonx

keatonx Member

Amazing sounding yamaha rd500, watch the tach jump to redline when it hits the powerband. The muffler shots are the best, you get to really hear those pipes screaming

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Ahh, the good old days of the Yamaha RDs and Kawasaki 2T Triples.
  3. keatonx

keatonx Member

those triples sound sooo nice. Heard the early versions (Mach 1, H2 etc) were unstable at speed tho

20mpg on a motorcycle:jester:
  4. max350

max350 Member

My Rd 350 LC YPVS -83 I love it! :)

(If you're wondering what kind of sound you hear from the engine, it is the kick starter that vibrate)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My RZ 350 YPVS was one of the best bikes i've ever owned, next my old air cooled 1986 KX 500 2-stroke single.

The 350 had a set of peaky pipes, and "when it was going", it was good for giving GSXR 750's the hurry up in the twisties. Unfortunately the top endy pipes had me revving the rings out of the engine; consequently i kept destroying big end connecting rod bearings.

Always had a soft spot for the overly complicated Suzuki RG 500 Gamma, but i was told they were a total nightmare to work on, and a visit to Elm Street after dark when the engine needed to be rebuilt.
  6. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

yeah that is amazing how fast it increases rpm when "on the pipe". I had an RD350 and it had a nice sudden rush of power too.
  7. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

interesting that in jennings books he mentions that when certain engines were taken even briefly past a certain RPM...dont even bother trying to finish the lap...just get in the pits and tear it down because the bearing cage was already starting to crack... i do like the crowded needle long as you can get the right size needles and they all fit in there!

(also really amusing that anyone on a hyabusa in my experience CANT RIDE! ive had to hit the brakes on my PUSHY to avoid running up the rear end of one in a corner...uphill mind you)

i remember the days on an old DR250, no throttle cable, slip a finger down the carb and run the slide that way :jester: when i did finally fit a cable (while my mate was at the shop buying one slightly longer while i stayed behind and kept fiddling) i started her up, took her for a spin...hmmm. it really needed the brakes worked on! remember a pine tree branch missing my head by a few inches as i laid it down cus there was no way i was stopping to take the corner... :eek: well, we never learnt and im amazed any of us are still alive... quite a few near misses...

only kawa triples i had a chance of getting near...old friend of my mother that raced earlier in her youth... dying of cancer, but would she part with any of them? despite being so neglected the rims were buried in 3 inches of mud... there were some really nice bikes in that shed...

sorry people, you cant take them with you. as far as im aware, everything was shoved into a skip bin in the end... i cried. what was the pound (for farm animals, not dogs and cats) is now "luxurious accomodation for the elderly"...

like the four wreckers that have closed around here. no more days of scavenging through a heap, matching parts to other suitable parts. the yoke from a 92 500 zuki was a perfect replacement for the yoke that was no longer available for a 83 kawa gpz750... (what was the honda V-3 twostroke? i just remember one guy had a heap of them on a shelf..)instead its..."what model, year and part? no, we dont have that...the computer says NOOO" it was always best just to search for yourself, but in these days of insurance and liability...sadly, no more :( what happened to all them parts? scrapped. i raided one one night but sadly...the skip full of engines was already gone :(

its getting really hard to find old bikes for cheap, that are worth restoring... i really want an old 2 poppa twin :)
  8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

We used to call those popcorn bikes because of the sound. RD 350 was my fav. Ring a ding ding ding!
  9. ez dave

ez dave New Member

rds and rzs were always my favorite bikes, and they will give any newer bike a run for the money.