AZ 20 mph law

astring

Local time
4:06 PM
Is anyone here interested in closing the loophole that allows cops to give us thousands of dollars in fines for going 21 mph? Lets use this thread to start brainstorming a way to fix that.

Sell one to a state legislator. Or give it to them. (We know legislators don't actually pay for anything while in office). It's a perc of the job! lol

Its terrible that they can fine us so much for goin a little over the limit, since i normally go about 22:eek:. I think if enough MBers wrote to them about the rediculous price for the problem they will think about changing it. Motord Bikes are far safer than cars (except maybe for the rider) since its 2 tons of steel barreling down the road 10mph over the limit. Hopefully it will be changed before people stop ridin down here:(

Is anyone here interested in closing the loophole that allows cops to give us thousands of dollars in fines for going 21 mph? Lets use this thread to start brainstorming a way to fix that.

There IS NO speed limit in Arizona for motorized bicycles. Please be careful to not provide disinformation. The statue references a "manufacturer's specification" but it is NOT a speed limit. The authorities may like to think it is a speed limit but that is their own little fantasy world they are living in. I have the information from the top down (mvd policy analysists, etc), there IS NO speed limit. I recommend keeping it at that speed because of the number of so-called police that have nothing better to do than stick their noses in areas they have NO knowledge of to satisfy their ego/authority trips. Stay tuned......

Last edited by a moderator:
There IS NO speed limit in Arizona for motorized bicycles. Please be careful to not provide disinformation. The statue references a "manufacturer's specification" but it is NOT a speed limit. The authorities may like to think it is a speed limit but that is their own little fantasy world they are living in. I have the information from the top down (mvd policy analysists, etc), there IS NO speed limit. I recommend keeping it at that speed because of the number of so-called police that have nothing better to do than stick their noses in areas they have NO knowledge of to satisfy their ego/authority trips. Stay tuned......

You have a lot of experience in this and I was hoping you would post here. What change do you feel is needed in the legislation? If it were kept to a "speeding violation only" your fine would have been around $20 and they could not have nailed you with regs and ins and that bs. What do you see as the fix?

First off, what can we do to prevent a cop from fabricating events and perjuring themselves in court against a citizen who has not broken any laws? In my case there is nothing I could do about it despite the fact I offered proof of my maximum speed that trip. I even recorded the arrest. Those are just two small items in the iceburg, and below the waterline, the iceburg is full of deceit, deception, lies and corruption belonging to the police, prosecutors and court. Thank you Scottsdale. I've been a resident here since 1992 and never realized how * * * * * * up the people are in this so-called kangaroo court justice system and Hollywood/rodeo police force. From my observations, all the players there are corrupt and dishonest, plain and simple. I predict this case is gonna get real ugly for them, sooner or later. It's already ugly, but they are painting themselves into a corner and soon a whole lot of people are going to see them for the scum that they are. Even if I WAS going over 20 mph, there is no citable offense for the statute 28-2516. In other words there is not a word ANYWHERE that assigns a penalty for ANY speed on a motorized bicycle. Not only that, there is not a word ANYWHERE that converts a motorized bicycle into a moped over 20 and then to a motorcycle over 25. DOESN"T EXIST. I believe it is a regular procedure for the police and the prosecutors in Nazisdale to pull false ideas like that out of their * * * to satisfy stupidity. So if I understand your jist correctly, would it make sense to request from the legislature an actual speed limit? I guess so, I haven't really thought about that specifically. It is complicated though, would that be 20 mph with engine running, what if engine is idling as you coast downhill at 25? What if the engine is off and your riding at 26? Then are you going to leave it up to a police officer to render an accurate and fair judgement of what happened? HA HA HA . Yeah right, trust the cops? NEVER.....

*= MBc EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly would like to take Regs. ins and licence off the table, so that at the worst they could hand out is a $50 fine. And make that statewide so we could eliminate abuses by cities.

I think it would take a serious effort by all AZ forumites though.

Last edited:
Astring, after reviewing my post, I don't think I came to close in rendering an opinion. I get so wired up about those crooks, sorry. I am going to think about it and when I can say something that might be worthwhile, I will post it, thanks.

How can you not understand the conversion process from a motorized bicycle to a motorcycle. It's in the definition of the law. Motored bicycle is less than 20mph. If you go over, you are traveling at a faster sustained rate than 98% of all bicyclists... and the government can't have you doing that now, can they?? That means you'll never have to pay for reg, tags, tickets, etc. They can't have you steal their money by finding alternative rides & then pushing it past the limits they set for you. It's just not fair, I say.

This should really be settled nationally. There should be a federal law stating all motor-assisted bicycles that travel less than 25 or 30 mph are free from all hassles we experience now. I could see a few places where they could hassle you, like not being licensed... or riding from 10pm to 5am... that type of stuff. But the state laws are carp, and it's only going to be up to us to change this mess.

How can you not understand the conversion process from a motorized bicycle to a motorcycle. It's in the definition of the law. Motored bicycle is less than 20mph. If you go over, you are traveling at a faster sustained rate than 98% of all bicyclists... and the government can't have you doing that now, can they?? That means you'll never have to pay for reg, tags, tickets, etc. They can't have you steal their money by finding alternative rides & then pushing it past the limits they set for you. It's just not fair, I say.

This should really be settled nationally. There should be a federal law stating all motor-assisted bicycles that travel less than 25 or 30 mph are free from all hassles we experience now. I could see a few places where they could hassle you, like not being licensed... or riding from 10pm to 5am... that type of stuff. But the state laws are carp, and it's only going to be up to us to change this mess.

Between 10pm and 5am? Are you kidding? :eek::eek::eek::eek: They are NOT that loud. I guess people that drill holes etc, that's where the noise comes from correct?

Back