azbill's EZM stretch project

last try got deleted ???
one more time... (pics are at the 'other' place I am known to be :))

a few people have asked for pics of my not-finished-yet stretch
the bike is a Micargi Mustang GTS (x-mas present)
I am still mid build and am waiting for an in-frame tank---azvinnie (my son-in-law) is making it (his first time making one) the tape is to protect paint during tank fitting
I have a budget of 0$, so am making it with what I have available
(I sold a back wheel and other parts to finance the sprocket/adapter I got from Jim -- thanks Elmo)
I am doing a lot of measuring to get everything ready for the drive train swap from my Jaguar
(I need a bike Mon-Fri to take oldest grandkid to school, so I need to be up n running quickly)

1st pic is full side view showing whole bike
2nd pic showing Jim's sprocket (72T) and hd coaster wheel (12ga spokes)
3rd + 4th pic are MC mirrors I got on the bay and the seat post clamps I used to mount the mirrors
5th pic shows motor mount and pedal chain routing
I changed pedal sprocket to a 36T to make it easy to pedal with the girls/trailer, and routed chain under engine to lower the center of gravity (ie...better handling)
the motor mount is clamped to bottom tube with tensioner brackets and exhaust clamp saddles
the bracket on the seat post is to stabilize the engine/trans from side-to-side twist (bracket comes from an old seat post mounted rack)
I hope I have the patience to wait for Vinnie to do the tank , I am dieing to ride this bike

advice/opinions needed :)

I would like some advice
the stock Micargi seat sux, so I am thinking of getting a bobber seat and mounting to my stretch...

I know there are motorcycle riders here,,,
has anyone here ridden any distance on one and was it comfortable ?

btw...almost 5k miles on my kit now !!!

here is a link to the one I am looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid=8713771646482300387

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Bill, that is one bad -*** ride. Viewing the pictures of your custom Micargi Mustang has given me newfound hope! I picked up a stretch cruiser from a neighbor back in July and have since identified it as a Micargi Mustang... same as your's but it doesn't have the oversized downtube. This bike is my primary means of transportation, and being that it isn't very practical on the uphills I have decided to motorize it. I just got a 48cc Grubee Skyhawk engine kit, as that is all I can afford, and it is exempt from licencing and registration in the state of New Hampshire. I was up 'till 4am last night wondering how the **** I was going to fit the kit on my bike... Thanks to you I will rest assured it can be done! Unfortunately I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to this whole motorized bicycle thing. Your pictures have pretty much answered most of my concerns, (especially like the idea you had for re-routing the pedal drive chain)... At the moment I have one question, if you don't mind replying... The rear wheel sits so close to the left side of the frame I don't know how to make room for the chain and sprocket, wondering if you tweaked the frame. On my bike the rear wheel looks on center at first glance but upon closer investigation it is either off-set to the left, or the left tail end of the frame is tweaked inward...puzzled....seems there is a little extra room on the pedal drive sprocket side, maybe I can remove the nut on that side and bend the coaster brake arm to accomodate the adjustment? Sorry if i'm a little behind on my bicycle anatomy, used to know a lot back in the 80's when I was into BMX, but that was a long time ago it seems. Again, your ride is mint! Also, thanks for the newfound hope you have already granted me with those pictures...I had envisioned doing something similar with the engine drive-chain tensioners, but it hadn't occured to me that I could remove the chain-guard and re-rout the pedal drive chain, thus accomodating for a seat-post engine mount. I was afraid I would have to mount to the downtube instead, and I didn't like that idea. Here's to thinking outside the box!

Thanks, bakerbrah

P.S. I have a little one too (almost three) and he loves my bike, especially the aftermarket headlamp I installed... took him for a ride around the yard the other day... he kept telling me to go faster, man did my legs get tired!

thanks for the kind words :)

I did space the left side of the wheel with a thick washer to add some chain clearance
(I run the wider #41 chain and have ample room ;))

Thanks, for the advice. I ordered two HD KMC 415 chains and a 32 tooth sprocket from spooky tooth, as well as one of those black two-legged center stands (**** wind keeps blowing my bike over). I was on the other site, and saw the 2-stroke mounted to the downtube... also saw it in the middle and on the seatpost tube... think I'm going with the downtube mount... no drilling incase I change my mind. I'm gonna take my time and do it right.

Thanks again Bill, will def post pics soon! :-/

bill looks great clean build tell me about the sprocket please i read you say its a 72 tooth iam thinking you went with that because of your towing ....but whats the tops speeds you seen ....?

and where did you get that from
did you go with a disk back there ? like before ?

MasterLink, I did get the 72tooth for pulling the trailer :)
I have gotten it up to 32mph, but usually cruise solo at 25-27
(I never pull the trailer faster than 20mph, the legal limit here in AZ)
I bought the sprocket and hub adapter from Jim (creative engineering is his member name here)

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=25277&highlight=72+teeth

I also have already gone to a springer seat I made from a M/C solo/bobber seat and springs mounted to a bicycle springer seat frame,,,very comfy and works great !!! :)

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=27545&highlight=bobber+seat

how long did it take you to build the bike as far as the frame goes ?
what model did you start with ,and what made you choose that one?

all your questions have been answered in this thread,
except for why did I choose this bike (Micargi Mustang GTS)
I picked this one specifically due to the straight bottom tube
(I figured it would make designing the engine mount easier ;))

Back