Crashes Back from Christmas hospital vacation...WEAR That Helmet

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Turtle Tedd, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Went for a ride as usual Saturday late afternoon on December 12...about 20 minutes later I was on another ride in the ambulance to the emergency room...unconscious in coma for about 2 weeks in ICU..broken shoulder, three ribs, banged head on cement in three places after going over the bars that went into my side,,,2 bags of blood ,gallons of morphine,tubes hoses and wires everyplace you can think home Jan 4th and do not have much memory of these days ..was not drinking or hotroding..all I know is something locked up and then I became the bouncing turtle..Still hurting,dizzy, and not walking to well..will try and get out to the garage next week and see what failed on the Del Mar..front wheel looks like a noodle and clutch is locked up...I have motorcycle helmets from racing ,off road and street and a bike helmet but didn't have one on ...I will probably recover in a few months..should know better at my age but I guess not...So any way ---WEAR those helmets , and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you guys...Tedd

2. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

I hope your recovery goes well and you get back to 100%.Please keep us posted on your progress.
  3. kerf

kerf Guest

Dang Tedd, what you try'n to do, check out on us? Get well soon buddy, just glad the postmortem is gonna be on the bike and not you. Keep us informed on your progress and what went wrong.

Good luck.
  4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Glad your going to be okay. Helmets... yeah. Probly a good idea.
  5. Sorry to hear that Ted. I'm sure we all would agree that we hope you have a speedy recovery. We're thankful that you're still here to tell us about it. Take care.
  6. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

WOAH well im glad ur recovering. thats crazy, glad ur still with us.
  7. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Dang man! I am very glad to hear that you have survived the no helmet test!
    I am sorry to hear that the rest of you got all fubar'd in the process.
    The bike can be replaced, you cant.
    I will pray for your speedy and complete recovery.
    I too am a no helmet test survivor. It is not fun. I feel for you.
  8. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

I was wondering what happened to you....haven't seen you here for a while. Too much of this happening to the group lately. Note to self.....don't "forget" the helmet
  9. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

I ride a motorcycle and value life, I am glad your alright. When my parents were raising me, If I got caught riding my bicycle with no helmet they took my bike away for 2 weeks at time. eventually they took it away for a year (after gettin caught 5 times riding when they werent home while my sister was babysitting me aka sleeping)

I plan to do this same thing when I have a child, life is so precious. I will be protective but I WILL NOT SHELTER them from everything. Arm pads,knee pads and wrist protectors will be a must.

I learned fast at a young age when my friends were breaking there bones and hurting themselves that my parents were just trying to keep me out of trouble.

But @ age 7 I still drove Jr Dragsters and go karts, dirt bikes, @ age 14 a motorcycle age 15 i got a car.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

to Turtle Tedd
    sorry to hear about your crash
    it is although a blessing
    that you are alive

years ago I went over the handle bars on a two wheel with motor
    took one large piece from forehead
    when I was able to return to work
    had forgotten 20 out of 40 names of people at work
    even looked a little strange at the equipment I used to train others on

thank God that you remember who you are

ride that THING carefully
  11. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Wow - we all wish you a speedy recovery. Man, just take her easy. At this point, walk it off, rest and get better.

Scary stuff. Glad you are posting.
  12. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Yikes- I hope we all learn from your experience. Well wishes and prayers from here.
  13. My very best wishes to you for a full recovery. I had an accident on my MB in October. I had forgotten the helmet, fortunately I didn't whack my noggin. I wear the helmet every time I ride now. Experience is a great teacher.
  14. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

Jeez---good thing it was your head, otherwise you may have been hurt!

Just kidding. Here are prayers and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
  15. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and the helmet thing is a brainer and a no helmet thing is a no brainer
  16. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

I saw this thread this morning and was planning a reply.
    Tedd, I almost joined you in the coma ward this afternoon.
    I never ride without a helmet, but it was only a circuit of the driveway and front yard.
    My driveway is half gravel, then concrete. Front wheel slid on the gravel, hit the edge ofthe concrete and threw me headfirst into the concrete. Out cold, puddle of blood, a neighbour ran from up the road and helped out.
    An hour of vomiting, dizziness, etc.
    1 knee, 1 hand, 1 shoulder and you should see my head. (It looked bad enough before this.) I was lucky.
    This was a few hours ago, so it looks like I'm OK, still a bit queasy etc.
    Wear that helmet.

Not sure about damage to the bike, not much I think.
    I'm off to a shower and bed to sleep this off.

... Steve
  17. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

We need pictures. :>) Sorry, just had to. It seemed to fit. I certainly hope you recover.......We are having too many accidents lately. Everyone, be careful please. Guess I should pay attention to that myself. :>(
  18. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Hi Denny, I just snapped a couple for posterity - thanks for the idea, but I don't think I should post them here?

Didn't make it to bed, feeling better.
    Should have got the head stitched, though, I think.

... Steve
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  19. gnflyby

gnflyby Member

I feel your pain and wish you the best in your recovery!!!
    I won't even test my bike without a helmet, I learned that session the HARD way!!! :helmet:
  20. retromike3

retromike3 Member

helmet, sometimes I wonder.

About twenty years ago I fell of my mountain bike on the way to work( I used to own a little bike shop twenty miles from my house.) and broke my hemet. I was out cold for five days under life support for three. I will never be the same as I was back then. Every day now I have to struggle to do the things that I used to take for granted. I never got my balance back to where it used to be and my short term memory has gone the way of the passenger pigeon. I guess that it worth it but sometimes I wonder.

On a positive note I have decided to go back to school and finally get that degree I have been putting off. It won't be in Sociology,History or Political Science, looks like my art minor is now a major. Like Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force "A man has got to know his limitations".

I still work on bikes and even build bicycle frames, but what once took me an hour now takes a day. If I go at it at a deliberate speed I can still do quality work, But it is sometimes very frustrating.

I hope you have a full recovery and if you still have some problems there is some help out there. the local chapter of these guys really helped me out.

Mike Frye-the bike guy
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010