"Back in Black" build

"Commando Commuter" Trek 3700 build

I finally received my bicycle engine this weekend. It took two weeks to get here from Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's a Chris Hill engine kit. I just set the engine on the bike for a quick picture.

I'm planning on painting the engine flat black to match the stealth look of the bike. I need to make a couple of brackets to mount it to the bike because my seat tube and down tube are too big to use the supplied brackets. I might also make my own fuel tank or use a MSR camping fuel bottle because the tank that came with it is too wide and I know I would hit my knees on it when I pedal.

Anybody have experience using a fuel bottle for bicycle engine? I know I need to buy a MSR fuel pump for this bottle, but I think I'm going to have to buy a MSR stove so I can use the fuel line. I'm not sure if the fuel pump uses a standard fitting or not.

Attachments

• LeftBike.JPG
    LeftBike.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 846
  • FuelTanks.JPG
    FuelTanks.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Yesterday I painted the engine black with some high temp engine paint. Today I made some mounting brackets and a disc brake mount adapter for the sprocket. I mounted the sprocket to the wheel just to make sure it fit. I need some shorter bolts, but I still need to figure out how thick of a spacer to put between the adapter plate and the sprocket. I also had to cut the center hole in the sprocket larger to fit over the hub disc brake mount. This wheel is both rim and disc brake compatible so I'll still be able to use my rim brakes.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to use for a gas tank, but I know the stock tank would be too wide to use while I pedal. Especially while climbing a hill standing up.

Carl

Attachments

• blackengine.JPG
    blackengine.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 229
  • parts2.JPG
    parts2.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 212
  • sprocket.JPG
    sprocket.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 207
  • sprocketmounted.JPG
    sprocketmounted.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
CJH I was looking at that fuel bottle and wont it be difficult to fill at a fueling station when your out on the road needing gas?

Thanks, I'm curious to see how well the paint holds up. As for the fuel bottle, I'm not sure. I was thinking I would just have a can of pre-mix gas at home. I'm sure I'll learn what works and what doesn't soon enough.

Doesn't anyone else have problems with hitting their legs on the stock gas tank? I plan on still riding on bike paths where motorized vehicles are prohibited which means that I will still be pedaling.

The stock tank has not been a problem for me on CrazyGringos moondog
it should be mounted as close as possible to the head tube

*disclaimer*
of course this does not apply to all bikes, circumstances and options vary with each and every build

Last edited:
I watched my legs while I was pedaling up a hill and my knees come within 2 inches of the top tube right where the gas tank would be. I'll figure something out.

I've got a MSR fuel bottle on my front wheel drive friction and love it. 22oz and it will run for over a week before I need to refill (12 mile commute).

I've got a MSR fuel bottle on my front wheel drive friction and love it. 22oz and it will run for over a week before I need to refill (12 mile commute).

Hey miletwo, are you using the fuel pump with it? I would like to see a pic of your setup if possible.

No, it's a 31cc trimmer motor and the little walbro carb is vacuum draw, so no pump needed.

I will post pics tonight.

I built a new 1/8" steel tank that I will mount behind my seat at the same angle as the seatpost. I used some 4"x4"x1/8" square tubing that I had at the shop. I cut a length to 6", cut out 1" of the width of the tubing and welded it back together so the size was 4" wide x 3" deep x 6" high.

I cut the filler bung and drain nipple out of the old tank and welded them on to the new tank. Now I just need to make some mounting brackets and paint the tank black.

Attachments

• OldTank.JPG
    OldTank.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 198
  • OldTank2.JPG
    OldTank2.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 199
  • FuelTank.JPG
    FuelTank.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 202
  • FuelTank2.JPG
    FuelTank2.JPG