Back in the saddle after being ripped off!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by IINoxiousII, Jun 24, 2012.

1. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Hey guys,
    I'm back at it again since having my first build stolen. Need some advice from those of you that have attempted to try a high hp engine in your build. Here's the scoop so far.

GT LTS Dual Suspension MB (26" wheels)
    KTM 50 clone Engine /Dellorto Carb (9hp) (ThatsDax)
    SBP Expansion Exhaust (SickBikeParts)
    Pre-Built Rear Rim w/48 tooth Sprocket (PirateCycles)

Still waiting on a few things to get here. Just have a few concerns on whether or not the rear sprocket along with the wheel size will be too much. I have been reading some threads stating that similar builds don't fully clutch until 35 mph (centrifugal clutch). My other concern was mounting it. At the moment I have two rear Manic mechanic mounts coming which I will attach to a steel L Bracket on the down seat pipe and a large universal mount for the front as well. (I'll post pics as soon as they arrive.) I also will be installing a front disc brake, and fatter road tires. Any advice is appreciated. I'm looking forward to this one. :tt1:
    Kind regards,
    P
    IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg

2. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

That's my dream bike: GT LTS Dual Suspension MB

If it only came out with front and rear disc brakes as standard it would be the ultimate motorized dual suspension bicycle - i've salivated over the design and so badly wanted one; and i'm still desperately waiting for a manufacturer to reinvent the wheel; making a modern version of a rearward mounted swingarm suspension system that's perfect for a motorized application.

3. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

I couldn't agree more Fabian. Finding any kind of softtail frame is hard. I had set google alerts, craigslist alerts, and priceconimics alerts to find this bike. Took about a month to find someone who was willing to ship it and not sell locally. Definitely worth the wait!

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Not to mention the the rearward mounted shock and linkage looks so **** cool

5. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

I agree! The only issue I may run into is setting up a proper chain idler. The suspension at high speeds may throw off the chain without one. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    P

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

A SickBikeParts shift kit will solve those issues :idea:

7. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Yeah, I had thought about that. From what I understand is that these engines pack a serious punch. I'm going to give it a go with the single gear for now and see how I like it. I was able to finish it today lol. Non stop working since I got home from school.
    20120627_190657.jpg 20120627_191907.jpg

8. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

I can't wait to test ride it tomorrow!!!:tt1:

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Looks like a brilliant build; the upswept pipe looks great too and the muffler should help to keep the law off your back in conjunction with riding at a sensible (bicycle like) way on the streets.

The bike really looks fabulous with the rearward suspension linkage.

10. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Thanks Fabian! I appreciate the kind words. I definitely want to stay incognito. I don't think it will sacrifice too much power. I'll find out in a few hours.
    Kind regards,
    P

11. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

12. Wow sounds awesome and looks fast as heck. Looked about 45mph ? Sweet bike

13. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Thanks. Yeah, I topped out at 48. Needs thicker tires and tubes for these speeds. I already blew out the front tire and took a pretty nasty spill. Rookie mistake that I will never be repeating lol.

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need this kind of speedo...

[​IMG]

15. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

LOL, yeah, that's about right.

20120707_174652.jpg

16. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Nice bike, ? about that muffler? Does it burn your leg at all where its located? You've got alot of money there do not let it out of your sight. Glad your ok after the spill.

17. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Thanks, yeah the muffler needs a heat shield. I tried wrapping some titanium heat wrap cloth around it, but that still gets hot enough to make a mark. When I wrecked it burnt the inner part of my calf pretty good, but when I'm not crashing it's fine as long as I'm mindful of not leaning the bike to the left at a stop. As far as the bike being stolen, I have that covered. I was able to find a lo-jack like solution that tracks the bike through GPS. If the bike so much as moves it sends me a text to my phone. If stolen, it gives me directions to its location. Got to love technology.

Thanks, I'm still healing from the spill. Road rash is the worst. I would have much rather gotten a gash and been done with it with some stitches. I definitely learned a valuable lesson. The outcome could have been a lot worse. I'll definitely be more conscientious of what is a potential hazard on the bike from now on.

18. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Ahhh, it's only road rash, you weren't going fast enough to make it to the crutches part of the speedo - wheelchair still awaits you and we all know what happens if trying a little bit harder ;-)

19. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

LOL, yeah that's true, but trying to sleep at night has been a real pain in the ****. Waking up with "non-stick" dressings stuck to my wounds and having to soak them to rip em off is just a freaking nuisance. I don't think I will be redlining that speedometer anytime soon Fabian lol.

20. Wild Bill

Wild Bill New Member

Just found this thread. Did the poster ever try the shift kit? I built a GT LTS with a shift kit and KTM clone and it does hold up to the power but you do have to lower the clutch lock up rpm. I even have a race day on it, heres a pics and a vid of it in a race, the race starts around 4 minute mark, theres even a major crash.....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015