Back wheel is wobbly and getting worse

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Anthony Diego, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Anthony Diego

Anthony Diego New Member

So my motorized bike is about a few months old and has been starting to develop a wobbly back tire from riding. Its gotten to the point where i feel unsafe to ride it now because it is so wobbly. It's not a mechanical issue obviously, just a regular bike issue since it has nothing to do with the motor or the heavy duty chain.

I think it might be a free hub issue? or my bearings have finally given out. What can I do? Please help!!!

2. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Did you build on a Wallyworld ~$100 Huffy bike?

3. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

If you have 135mm dropout spacing: Buy a new 26" hardcore DH/jumping/BSX rear wheel with the same hub width (dropout spacing) and four or five _sealed cartridge bearings_ now while MTBers are upgrading to the 29er craze.
    Buy a set of spare bearings to go in that so you can change them immediately when the present ones feel loose.

Then learn to set cone nuts on your front wheel (it probably needs greasing by now too) by goggling "how to set cone nuts".

Your rear wheel could have a bent axle and damaged bearing race from riding with the bearings loose (therefore also dirty and lacking grease). A bent axle is replaceable. Even a smashed up ball bearing is replaceable.
    IF the race is damaged, it almost certainly is not replaceable so you need to replace the hub and rebuild the wheel. It isn't worth doing that right now when the MTBers are selling off their "old fashioned" or "too heavy" wheels at the end of the season.
    Goggle for reviews of the wheels you see for sale so you know that you're getting something overbuilt.