Back wheel won't free wheel (clutch wont disengage)

ayo2001

Local time
11:04 PM
Ok I apologize for my ignorance in advance but like the question says in the title I can't get my back wheel to Freewheel. I hold in the clutch but it still doesn't freewheel, keep in mind though that I just installed a brand new engine on the bike so that may be my problem. Do new engines have trouble getting started ? is this a common problem ,do I have to lube or grease up one of the sprocket wheels,is something stuck? The engine is a 80cc btw, please help guys

Disconnect clutch cable.
Remove sprocket cover.
Visually inspect the bucking bar.. That's the little bar that you can pull out from the centre of the drive sprocket. It should protrude from the sprocket shaft about 6mm or so so the clutch actuator cam can push against it. If it doesn't protrude then they forgot to put the ball bearing under it at the factory. This is a common problem. You should be able to pull out the bucking bar and see it in there with the aid of a flashlight, all shiny and silver and covered in thick grease.
If it isnt there, there bucking bar doesnt protrude. You might need a magnet to pull it out. Look inside.. Just darkness and no shiny greasy ball? Then you need a common ball bearing same diameter as the bucking bar.. 6mm I think. Grease it up and drop it in, then replace the bucking bar.

Last edited:
Disconnect clutch cable.
Remove sprocket cover.
Visually inspect the bucking bar.. That's the little bar that you can pull out from the centre of the drive sprocket. It should protrude from the sprocket shaft about 6mm or so so the clutch actuator cam can push against it. If it doesn't protrude then they forgot to put the ball bearing under it at the factory. This is a common problem. You should be able to pull out the bucking bar and see it in there with the aid of a flashlight, all shiny and silver and covered in thick grease.
If it isnt there, you need a common ball bearing same diameter as the bucking bar.. 6mm I think.

OK I had a look and everthing looks fine, Mabey the chain is hitting the clutch cover or something?

Attachments

• 20160507_104552.jpg
    20160507_104552.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 643
  • 20160507_104636.jpg
    20160507_104636.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 675
Can you wheel the bike forward? I thought it was just not freewheeling.
The drive sprocket can have burrs that should be filed off.. But that doesn't stop the chain seating or the clutch disengaging..
If you can turn the wheel and chain but it always turns the engine, then check your clutch cable is properly seated in adjusters. That's all I can think of. The clutch arm is moving when you pull the lever though?

Very often, a new HT motor has a sticky clutch. Very common. Remove the clutch cover on the pedal drive side and tap the clutch drum a few times with a hammer. As you activate the clutch arm, you should see the clutch drum move out about 1/8".

That's what makes the rear wheel freewheel. The drum is lifted off the clutch pads.

For reference: to get more bite in the clutch pads, tighten the flower nut. For less grab, loosen the flower nut.

While you are in there, you may want to add a bit of grease to the small drive wheel...

first, take out the spark plug to see if motor CAN turn, if so, investigate clutch

Ok so I took out the spark plug, and now it moves when I pull the clutch in, it's still a bit a tough though probably because the engine is brand new.

Back