Bad luck strikes again!

Street Ryderz

Local time
5:39 PM
Yesterday a customer called me and stated that he got my # off the motorized bicycle dot ca web site and asked if I also do repairs because the web site lists me as an installer! So I told him a bit about my shop and yes I do repairs,mods,custom builds and so on.The customer then says can you replace a broken woodriff key and that he already has the replacement keys!He then explained that he did not know how to replace or even where to start with this repair,and asked if he could bring it by today for me to do!I replied no problem just call when your close so that I can have a work space ready for it,Witch he did and as we brought the bike in I dumped the clutch and could feel the engine turning over (seemed tight) and there was no sign of the gears slipping or anything and yet it felt odd! I took the mag cover off and looked at it checked the key was in place and then asked the client what led him to think that a key was broken?He told me that a buddy said that if a key broke the engine would not run!So I showed him how the keys work on a engine that's all ready disassembled and explained that if it was running and a key let go on one of the gears it would slip and not give power to drive it,and that if the key for magnet broke then it may not run due to being mis timed!I then asked what happened when it failed and he said that it just stopped abruptly and that he could not get it started after that!Ok well lets check the main three pulled the plug it was brand new and fires well I told him spark was good and strong and he stated yes it should be the plug and cdi are new,as it was turning over to check the spark I could smell and see that it was pulling fuel ok but again noticed the the pistons movement felt off but did a compression check anyway and after three times kicking it over it barely read 20 psi !I then informed him and showed that there was little to no compression and that the piston movement still felt tight or restrictive I then showed him a piston/cylinder that had a wrist pin bearing let go and how the bearing damaged the the whole top end and that the bottom end also had to be taken apart checked and cleaned out!And how the now damaged parts would not move freely through its stroke,He then asked if thats what his issue was I asked to take off the head and see for sure he said yes and sure as i just stated the cylinder was badly gouged the head dimpled and piston top also has the impressions from the needle bearing that bounced around in there until it worked its way to the transfer port and gauged the cylinder wall.So now I have another rebuild to do and have to get a grubee topend kit,poor guy thought he was going to have a cheap and quick repair and now I felt bad for him so gave him the best price I could whole job for 60 bucks including parts! I must be getting soft in my old age!lol

yeah, I do similar as these aren't worth putting a lot of money into - I'd have charged $90 to put in a brand new motor just to be safe

I could have charged that amount a replacement engine costs $120.00 here at the moment the kit is $220.oo and I normally charge $45.00 shop rate so yeah I really gave him a break!

here labor is $20/hr and new motor is $100 or $90 exchange - kit is $155, with options for diff sprocket, long clutch arm or painted motor a bit extra

You guys down south of the boarder get great deals even when I order form the states after exchange and shipping and duty I don't really save much if at all just better selection!

look into ordering large amounts from china & thailand, then reselling locally

Turns out the top ring broke and chewed up the jug some how the retainer pin in the piston let go and allowed the ring to shift and got debris behind the ring and broke out a good sized piece! Now I am taking the engine out of bike because I want to pull the bottom end apart to make sure there is no debris in there or any other damage!

Back