Bars

El Sid

Local time
2:00 AM
This is my 1st build. Its a retro Schwinn 26" 2.5 hp 4 cycle cruiser with a slammed front end. The motor is too large. So, I had to remove the pedals and am going to have to use highway bars. I'm thinking and liking the idea of using ape hangers on it to allow room for my knees. Has anyone done a build or have any input I should know about before I purchase the ape hangers? Cable lengths? handling? OD of bars/stripping? strength?

thanks,
El
me 10604714_871920159499344_2830550463605916283_o.jpg... my scoot257722_871919869499373_2467769143335626688_o.jpg... not me002mcv.jpg

Last edited:
ElSid

Nice build. How is the direct drive working without jackshaft reduction? Looks like you have a 5 hp engine? "www.bicycle-engines.com" sells a one piece wide pedal crank for the large bb.

Have several HD Whizzer wheels and 3 of their 16" rear spoke pulleys. Also have 2 new 5hp B&S flat head 160cc engines. My Honda 160cc OHC motors are far too tall for my Stretch Cruiser frame, that is the reason for buying the B&S flat heads Have a sprocket clutch, may have bought a pulley clutch like yours also.

Belt drives are the best IMO. My Whizzer bike was so quiet and smooth, sold and gone now.

Hope to hear from you on the direct drive power at start out and top speed. Oh, My stretch has the tall Ape Bars, bought bike used a few years ago, may leave the bars on.

Thanks, Ron

Ron,
i am still very green at this whole thing. Jack shaft reduction? Please tell me more of this Jack Shaft reduction. my little scooter is kinda slow at take off i get kicking and then let the motor take over then she scoots pretty good 30 to 35 mph. i'm about 220 lbs and Hills are a little different story. would like to tap more power. I'm running a little 2.5 hp chinese something 'er other. Do you know how to retard the timing to get max head pressure at proper RPM? are you willing to sell any of your 5hp flat heads? or direct me to a place where i can purchase one. Do you think such a motor would fit on my set up? am i asking too many questions? ha. Any info would be greatly appreciated. i really love this little scooter and my new found hobby. eager to learn everything i can. I would love to see a pic of your stretch. thanks for your interest. ALSO yes would love to put cranks back on it. Checking out www.bicycle-engines.com now. THANKS!

El

El Sid

Thanks for the reply. Did you get my PM (private message) ? Ok, I see you have the Houshang 50cc Honda clone motor with the straight 5/8" crankshaft on the PTO side. You have a very good legal size motor.

Thought you had a bigger motor at first glance. Your motor is highly regarded on the forums. Weigh near 300 and my shifter bike with same motor as yours cruise`s nice in 5th gear with rear derailleur @ 35 mph =GPS- very accurate. 6th gear will work on slight downhill grade but keeps slowing down on level pavement. My 1st gear on rear wheel is bigger than normal so it starts out very well without pedal assist with my 300 lbs.

Your top speed is about as good as you can expect for your body weight. Is your motor centered in frame or offset to right for belt alignment. If you had your pedal chain system working you would be fine with the direct belt drive. You should have a 'spring tensioner" on your belt drive to save on the spokes.

With motor off set the wide crank I referred to most likely will not work. We can work around that, but your right side pedal will be wider.

Have some running around this afternoon. Let me know about offset of motor, can you take pics from straight above, back, front and post.

Will get back to you maybe after dark.

That is a good engine, have 3 of those, 2 have the built in 76mm clutch bolted to short tapered crank stub. The motor like yours has never been mounted, the two with clutches are on bikes, one is a rack mounted cvt, the other is a shifter bike that is my favorite at present time. Think the thread here is "rack mounted cvt" for the cvt build.

You would be over joyed with that motor and bike with a shifter kit using a jack shaft running a 5 or seven cog on the right side with pedals hooked in.

You do have a good system now if the pedals were working to save on your motor clutch. Your motor may not be developing its power with present 5:1 gear ratio. 16: would be more normal -imo.

Ron

El Sid

My PM box`s were ful, emptied them both just now. That is why I did not receive your pm and mine to you did not work either.

We are good to go now. 5 pm Sun

Ron

Wow, thanks for all that information. I will get some pics of my motor for you and pick your brain tomorrow. You seem very helpful and this is greatly appreciated. I need to go over your last post and figure out how to ask all the questions I have. Starting with some of the abbreviations. PTO, CVT. For starters. I really don't want to lose such a great help such as you, so I will do my best not to waste your time. Gear ratios and gearboxes all of it I need info on. I bought this project 85% done. All I have done is put bars, cables, tank and brakes on. The whole drive train was done already. Really appreciate all the help you can share with me.

El

El Sid

PTO = "power take off" . that would be the place where the power is takin from the engine. Like the sprocket or a pulley. CVT is a belt drive where the pulleys are spring loaded and change size with rpm making it an automactic shifting transmission.

CVT = constant velocity transmission. Honda has them in the rear of car transmissions, other car brands use cvt also. They are used in Snowmobiles since the beginning. They are tuff, just replace belts. The little scooter cvt`s like I have did not stand up for other members that used them for extended mileage`s.

If you center your motor in the frame, that may require a jackshaft to get aligned with rear pulley. Then it is easy to manipulate your gearing ratio`s.

Bought a Go Kart CVT @ $135. for my B&S 5 hp flathead with 3/4" PTO (crankshaft output), they are getting popular with bigger Harbor Fright motors in custom bike frames.

Ron

Back