Basic Bike

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by hooligan, May 25, 2007.

1. hooligan

hooligan Guest

There is real basic mountain bike that is being sold at wal mart, I dont recall the name/brand however I am considering buying it. I have read alot of post about people saying that their bike shakes alot and I am wondering if this is due to poor craftsmanship or a cheap bike and should I buy a cruiser instead or possibly a little more high end bike? Also would anyone happen to know the exact cc's on the 80cc motor being sold on kingsmotors ? I noticed thats dax says what the exact cc's are and I have heard great things about them however kings boast an 80cc motor where dax is 70cc. If the kings motor is actually more I think I might want the more powerful engine. Any input on that subject would be helpful. Well I appreciate any and all feedback....

Matt

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i'll start you off with the most rudimentary of advice...

look at the candidate bicycle closely & ask yourself "would i ride this thing at 30mph?"

3. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

The phrase "you get what you pay for" holds VERY true when it comes to bikes.

Dan

4. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Buy a good used, name brand mountain bike for about $150~$200.
    Check the wheels for being true. You're looking for non-tapered 14ga spokes. You might need to change tires, chain and brake pads.
    Buy a book on bicycle maintainance. I have several here. Haynes is decent w/o getting too technical, ISBN# 1 56392 137 5

We all must crawl before we walk, only then can we try running. :grin:

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I wouldn't accept the 80cc engine as 80cc....it's more than likely 67point something cc like the 70's. Just heads up there.

As for the bike, I put both of my engines on older "cheap" bikes and both perform well. One has the larger diamond type frame, the other has the triple upper bar set up like a Shwinn. I have over 500 miles on the Western Flyer (Shwinn type) and nearly two hundred on the Ross (diamond frame type). One cost 35 dollars and the other was a freebie.

So, sometimes you get more than you pay for. :wink: