battery question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eltatertoto, Nov 1, 2008.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ok, i feel stupid asking this but i cant find a clear answer on the internet that doesnt require knowing what all them funky abbreviations mean.

on my scooter i have a radio that draws more power than the scooter can keep up with because i need an amp i havent bought yet. so i need to charge my scooter battery to keep up with the demand. (kickstarting is getting old) i need to know how long, or an easy conversion chart for charging batterys. i have a 12V/7Ah scoter battery and because i heard more amps=less life, i have a 12volt/1amp slow charger. how long do i charge for without boiling the battery? thanks alot.

2. Zev0

Zev0 Member

3. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

yep ive gone pedal-less moped whatever lol
  4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

It's very hard to hurt a battery on a slow charge....once the battery is fually charged(eg,overnight) it won't accept any more charge.Fast chargers u need to be careful.
    I would be more concerned WHY u need to charge it in the first place cos 7Ah is quite reasonable and more than enough to run a radio.
    Something seems wrong with electrical system.

PS....possibly your battery is old and not accepting a full charge.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  5. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

thanks alot fetor. the problem is, that my car stereo in my scooter is like most stereos. it has one wire to keep the stations, and one that goes to the accessory on the ignition switch, to give it power to turn on the radio. i dont have an accessory on my ignition, and i didnt know if i should have put a switch in or not on that particular wire. so i didnt. upon reading online, my particular radio draws a constant current when that wire is active. plus i have no amp for the speakers so it draws a ton of power. and i have my speakers mounted in the front cover facing in front of me so it has to be pretty loud for me to hear it. this winter i plan to take off all the panels, and re work the wiring more professionally, so i can know what wire is what, at any point in the wire. right now im using heavy guage speaker wire for all the wiring. and i cant wire in a switch without taking panels off. so for now this in the easiest solution.

thanks again,fetor.

edit,i just got the scooter in august and haad to put the acid in myself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  6. terrence

terrence Member

Tater yes I agree with fetor. Most 1amp slow chargers have auto shut off. If not, no problem if you forget it for a day. It wont boil @ 1 amp.
  7. QuadManiac

QuadManiac Member

Just don't forget it for a month or so... LOL, i just did that with my motorhome... left a 1A 'trickle' charger on it.. (thought it was a float charger, it WASN'T)...

Went to start the MH and blammo, blew the battery all over the inside of the engine compartment. I assume that I boiled most of the water out, exposing the plates and leaving a large amount of hydrogen in the now nearly empty cells. Needless to say, I'm glad i wasn't sitting over the top of it when it went.

SO, 1A WILL boil your battery dry if it's not a 'smart' charger.
  8. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

thanks alot for the info. i only plan to charge it for say a day or so at a time. im too scared that if i leave it on over night it will fry somthing. lol, i had a bad experience with rc car batteries....