Be careful when you you pay at the pump!!!! I GOT RIPPED OFF BAD!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Simonator, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Well, I got screwed today. Here is what happened.

I stopped at the gas station and paid at the pump with my debit card I get for donating plasma. I put 0.3 gallon in my motorized bicycle tank. It came to just over $1, $1.17 if I remember right. Then A SUV pulls up behind me. I tried to get out of his way as fast as possible. So, I forgot to wait until it asked me for my receipt. I get home and check my balance. It says I spent $76.00 at the gas station!!!! I was FURIOUS! It didn't even show my $1.17 transaction!!! The guy behind me somehow charged his $74.83 of gas on my card!!! When he started pumping it was obviously still my transaction! The transaction should have ended as soon as I hung up the pump! One of 2 things must have happened. The SUV driver knew it was going on my card. Or, when he went in to pay, the clerk took the money and pocketed it! I was at the meijer gas station. Meijer is a chain of department stores in Michigan and a few other states. I immediately called them up and spoke to a manager. He is going to start investigating it tomorrow. I better get my $74.83 back or I am going to flip out!!!

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Did you hang the pump up? That should have ended the transaction, if you did then the clerk is who id suspect.
  3. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Yep, I know i did.
  4. suv's stink but

I'd suspect the cashier/clerk not the SUV driver. I'd suspect the SUV driver paid cash and that the clerk charged the $$$ to you and the clerk stashed a little roll in their pocket.

I used to drive vans for this really carpy company about 8 years ago. The company had a contract with this little whole in the wall gas station and service station. I suspect it was a deal that had been made out in advance to get the vans past inspections.... One day my coworker and I get gas and $43 and change goes in. We get a receipt for $56 and change, to the company account.

When we said something the guy said it included "fees." So we signed it with the signature "Not Signing this" the Credit card company still paid. After that though when my coworker or I ever went to the pump we were never charged "fees" again.

I found out years later that those slips never get seen by the credit card company thats why it doesn't matter if you sign them or not. They get stored with the stores financial info for that sales day in a box that after 1 year goes to a secure storage facility. The would only ever be opened or looked at if you disputed the transaction. And even then it's highly unlikely. Its a huge waste of paper and yet another useless fact that I know.
  5. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Well, the store manager checked it and she said there was only $1.17 pumped. So, hopefully this is just a hold on my card. It's still weird it came to $76 even. Next step is to call the bank.
  6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Yeah, Simonator, some gas companies "pre-authorize" when you pay at the pump - which means they transmit automagically an order to your bank for a hold on a pre-set sum of money. I had one do that about a year ago, and they "pre-authorized" a hold on $100. At the time there was $102 in my account. I bought $28 worth of gas, got my receipt, drove away.

Well - that "pre-authorization" doesn't clear when the transaction completes, it clears along with all other transactions when your bank does it's daily processing. Two checks hit the bank that day, totalling $48, and since banks always process debits against your account before processing credits, those checks effectively hit a balance of $2.00, causing both to bounce, incurring $70 in fees. Since those fees are also debits against the account processed before credits, they pushed the balance to -$168. Then the bank processed the back credit from the release of the pre-authorized hold for $100 - leaving me with a negative balance of -$68.00, even though total purchases had only been $28.00 (remember, the bank bounced the two checks, and thus didn't pay them.

I went round and round and round with the bank over this bullsheet, as well as filing a formal complaint against the gas station with the federal commerce commission and the state weights and measures folks (who license the pumps). It took almost four months, but I got every penny back, plus $50 in NSF fees I'd had to pay the two merchants who got checks bounced, plus my costs ($18.00 in registered mail fees), and formal letters to the merchants from the bank acknowledging that it was a direct result of their policy allowing merchant "pre-authorizations" and then not immediately clearing them that caused the nsf returned checks. Banks REALLY don't like customers who research their rights, Federal Banking Commission rules, and file formal complaints with the commission over their misdeeds. They closed my account once they paid me - I'd refused to bring the balance back up after they did that.

The state required the gas station company to put stickers on all their pumps advising customers of their policy of "pre-authorizing" and that it may result in an overdraft by their bank. They were really unhappy, needless to say.
  7. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

As an additional thought ... make very very sure your card was not cloned... there is a lot of that going on in the UK at the moment..

Jemma xx
  8. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Well, it turns out that I didn't get ripped off. I got my money back. WHen I paid at the pump, the bank withheld all that money. I'm never paying at the pump again!
  9. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I think that happens if you prepay inside too. Doesn't happen if the clerk oks the pump then you pay inside after fueling.
  10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

In future pay for as many transactions as possible in "cash" - problem solved !!!
  11. sawdust

sawdust Member

pay in cash only
  12. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

ok, im sorry im foreign...but you get PAID for donating plasma?

much the same thing happened to me the other day. somehow the guy in front paid my $12 worth, while somehow i got his bill for $86 worth....

well, it wasnt hard to dispute that one...why am i wearing a moto jacket if it isnt my bike there, and how exactly did i squeeze 60 litres into my motorcycles 10 litre tank?

and why would i be using DIESEL????!
  13. 45u

45u Active Member

If you use a debit card at the pump use it as a credit card. When used as a debit card your pin is saved use as credit. Read about this MANY years ago.