Be cautious with the CNS ported intakes

Fletch

Local time
11:55 PM
I will not say with 100% certainty that the ported intakes for the CNS from pirate cause both of these carbs to break in exactly the same place a couple days after installing them on two different intakes, on two different bikes, but I think it is highly coincidental.

I'm not trying to badmouth them at all because they are a great company. I think that maybe this is either a fluke thing that happened with my carbs because they had been tightened down so much on the regular intakes using the white collars that come with them, or maybe it's because they are relatively new intakes, so there hasn't been that much customer feedback on them yet. Either way I think I should share my experience and let others know that there is at least a possibility this may happen. Like I said, I just think it is too coincidental to dismiss.

It's a shame because the intakes fit great. I think that the metal of these carbs is so weak that they are just prone to breakage from vibration- also prone to vibrating off the stock intakes completely. The mouth of the carb (if that is what you call it?) is relatively short and very wide.... and the carb is heavy so that doesn't help either.

Take a look at where they broke and notice the same pattern. My guess is that the white collar that comes wit them helps protect the carb from the direct vibration. When you remove that collar and you put all of the force (and vibration) directly on the "mouth" of the carb on that wide intake... I just think the vibration is too much for it to handle.

Please take this FWIW... and I'd appreciate any other hypothesis as to why they both failed like this and maybe something that could be done to lessen the likelihood of it happening?

These carbs aren't cheap and I have a whole box of broken carbs and parts possibly for sale, but that is another thread. I really like the extra torque they provide, but I would find myself adjusting the carb almost every ride.

Attachments

• P1010655.jpg
    P1010655.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 892
  • P1010654.jpg
    P1010654.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 707
  • P1010650.jpg
    P1010650.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 710
  • P1010651.jpg
    P1010651.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 672
It might be a good idea to Mic (Micrometer) the stock intake tube and CNS tube and see what the difference between them is. Im sure Pirate would appreciate your input. Might be a Quality control issue on one batch and they might be able to catch the problem early. Thanks for the head up, I was looking at their intake tubes the other day.

In retrospect after having the last CNS brake on a standard intake, I think I was over-tightening them. The metal is not very strong at all, and all my carbs fractured and broke at the exact same place. I had thought that it was the lack of the plastic piece between the carb and intake that was the cause originally, but now I have my doubts. Hope that helps.

Fletch, I have a TIG welder...
Do you think those broken carbs could be repaired?
rc

hi fletch i cant find the float height i have two new cns crabs v1 & v2 i play with them for 3 weeks i know it off topk im sorry

hi fletch i cant find the float height i have two new cns crabs v1 & v2 i play with them for 3 weeks i know it off topk im sorry

sorry, didn't know about this post. You mean you can't find the correct height to set the float to? You just bend the little tab on the float that pushes up against the float needle.

I am wondering what you are tightening carbs with,also do you still have carb parts for sale?

I use a screw driver. Yeah, I kind of gave up on selling that box of cns parts. I think I may have even thrown it all away. I'll check to see if I still have it all.

BTW.... I gave up on those POS cns carbs. I would highly recommend a mikuni VM18. The only issue with it is that you have to use a short CNS intake from pirate and sand the white plastic part that goes around the intake down to fit around it. It won't fit on a regular intake. Other than that, it's the perfect carb.

Back