Beach Cruiser 48cc

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Stertz, May 11, 2007.

1. Stertz

Stertz Guest

Here's a pic of my bike with the motor I put in last week.
    Only a few obstacles on the install such as,
    Front down tube was too big and I needed to drill a hole for the front engine mount. The supplied clutch cable keep stretching so I replaced it with one I had lying around which seemed to be heavier duty. The drive chain clears the rear tyre by about 5mm, so before fitting the rear guard I will have to trim the guard a fair bit.

I still have more work to do such as, mount front and rear guards. In order to get the drive chain the right length I’ve had to loosen the pedal chain, I will be making and idle for the pedal chain, because I think the idler that comes with the drive chain is pretty poor, besides the pedals don’t turn much anymore. I will also be adding some lights, is there anyone who knows where I can get some old skool, dragster looking lights in AU? I’m also going to try and work out a tacho, has anyone got a tacho? I’ll keep you all up to date with progress.

BTW I’m an auto electrician so if anyone has electrical questions more than happy to help.

1358_RatRod_Bike_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008

2. Chopper

Chopper Guest

Looking cool stertz.... got my front light,
    http://i24.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/96/a9/104e_1.JPG
    off evay, guy has a website also www.lowlifer.com
    Here it is fitted,

41_IMGP2299_1.jpg

For a rear light I want to use a Model A Ford taillight, but converted to bettery power.... you may be able to help me with this :)
    About your chain, mine is way long too, even after removing nine links with the bench grinder ;) I'm going to try and get it as tight as I can and do away with the idler altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  3. Stertz

Stertz Guest

That light is what I want, but the web site doesn't work for me, I had it in my fav's from ages ago but no longer works. Is the light bright ?

As for your rear light the model A idea sounds sick. I was thinking of maybe a maltese cross? As for how to? buy a cheap LED tail light, I would strip the both of them and put the LED's into to cross with batteries and all, and stealth a switch somewhere.

I've got my chain to the right tension with out the tensioner(I wouldn't use the tensioner if you paid me, it looks so cheap and crap I think it would fall apart in the 1st test ride) it is my pedal chain that is a little loose, but not loose enough to take a link out so I will make an idler for it.

BTW your bike is awesome. Do you know where the front end is from?(forks & bars)

4. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

Easiest tach is a "TinyTach". It's a digital tach plus hour meter. Very small and attaches by wrapping a wire around the spark plug lead. They're commonly used on garden tractors and such. Cost about $35.

Moth

5. Chopper

Chopper Guest

Doesn't really light up the road well, but is plenty bright for cage drivers to see.

Will do

Thanks mate, I didn't build the bike itself, only fitted the motor, when I get it back I'll see if there's maybe something stamped on the forks and let you know.

6. jlebh1

jlebh1 Member

hi does your crusier have coaster brakes? (the ones you pedal backwards) if so did you have any problems?