Been commuting for 5 months now

You've got a limited amount of power, at a certain maxmun rpm. It is what it is. With a 1.5" roller, you would be getting an extra .125" per rpm. 30 mph is about the most that's legal. There are ways to go faster....

Well, I got it on the bike. It's got a bit more power but I expected a LOT more. It's quieter than the 4 cycle Honda GX35, though Anyway, I'm hoping it needs to break in a bit before it has all the power it should, but I'm running it on a recumbent bike and I'm 225 pounds, and right now it's topping out at 30mph. I'm not impressed so far. I expected 35-37mph.

With a 1.375" roller, at 37mph your engine would be spinning at 10,359rpm.

That's WAY past the Mits engine's redline.

At 8900rpm peak, speed of 32.2mph is possible under optimum conditions and low rider weight.

With a 1.5" roller, at 37mph your engine would be spinning at 9500rpm.

At 8900rpm peak, speed of 35.1mph is possible under optimum conditions and low rider weight.

Well here's my gripe. I had a 1.0 hp motor with a 1.125" roller, that would push me along at 26-27mph. I bought a 2.2hp motor with a 1.375" roller, and the best it can do is 29-30mph? Double the HP and a bigger roller, and that's it? 3 or 4 mph faster?

Well here's my gripe. I had a 1.0 hp motor with a 1.125" roller, that would push me along at 26-27mph. I bought a 2.2hp motor with a 1.375" roller, and the best it can do is 29-30mph? Double the HP and a bigger roller, and that's it? 3 or 4 mph faster?

What you failed to mention was how much quicker the Mits engine pushed you to 29-30mph.

I imagine a lot quicker, especially mid and top end.

:unsure:You could try the 1.5" roller, lose some torque and gain top end.

:unsure:A fairing would also help top end.

I Got Me A GREAT Idea!

I commuted to work today.

On the way home there's a stretch of highway that ALWAYS causes me great stress and anxiety, because I ride in rush-hour traffic. I was polite enough to allow the bus to cut safely in front of me. At the next traffic light I let that same bus merge in front of me. That meant that I had to follow a vehicle that was traveling the speed limit or less.(I had to make sure not to ride on his water trail from A/C drippings).

It was calm and relaxing to follow the bus at a safe distance.

I just realized why no one wanted to cut in front of me.

:unsure:NOBODY wants to follow a slow-moving bus!!!

It seemed like a very safe place to claim the curb lane and keep up with...

the slow-moving bus.

One day I might follow it all the way into town.:D

Not too much faster...

It's slightly faster than the Honda, but not much. It takes the mitsu about as long to get to speed as the honda, just a little higher top end. However, over the last 2 days or so it has perked up a little so maybe it does need slight breaking in. I've only been riding it to work for 3 days, that's a 14 mile round trip. That means it's got about 30-40 miles on it. After it has 100 or so, then I will pass judgement.

It might be wise not to push your Mits engine too hard during break-in.

You can tell when it's broke in when it becomes easier to pull the recoil start(less internal friction).

I could feel the difference when I upgraded from 1.6hp Subaru w/1.125" spindle to 2.2hp Mitsubishi w/1.125" roller.

There was a huge difference when I swapped to a 1.5" roller. Less low end but awesome top end.

I commuted to work today.

On the way home there's a stretch of highway that ALWAYS causes me great stress and anxiety, because I ride in rush-hour traffic. I was polite enough to allow the bus to cut safely in front of me. At the next traffic light I let that same bus merge in front of me. That meant that I had to follow a vehicle that was traveling the speed limit or less.(I had to make sure not to ride on his water trail from A/C drippings).

It was calm and relaxing to follow the bus at a safe distance.

I just realized why no one wanted to cut in front of me.

:unsure:NOBODY wants to follow a slow-moving bus!!!

It seemed like a very safe place to claim the curb lane and keep up with...

the slow-moving bus.

One day I might follow it all the way into town.:D

just be sure you're VERY observable, people coming into traffic from side streets or even that have been following you for blocks could make a mess of you against the back of the bus !!

steve

The difference of 'only' .125" ,from 1.375 to 1.50" is in fact a change in transmission ratio of 9.1% not large, but not insubstantial either.

The difference of 'only' .125" ,from 1.375 to 1.50" is in fact a change in transmission ratio of 9.1% not large, but not insubstantial either.

At one time I had a 1.25" roller up front and a Staton 18.75 gear-chaindrive on "The Dragon Lady". I'd start off on the rear engine alone. At the top of the low end I'd release its throttle and stomp on the front engine's throttle.

It sounded just like the engine shifted gears!:D

Back