Begin the Madness... 6.5hp Motorized Bike 162cc :) "Upd

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by SlicerDicer, Jul 8, 2007.

1. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Update: I changed engine plans as the motor I wanted I cannot get anymore so I am going to buy a motor from a local place :) It will have more power than I really want but it should be in line with Augi's Wisconsin.

Ok here is the frame that I am going to use many of you may know it as the mikes bike. Henceforth it shall be known as "?!?!?!" :evil: :evil:

I am extending the frame to fit the motor that I will be putting in there. The motor will set behind me as its so wide that I do not want to burn my legs. The blank spot below my legs will be for something maybe a tool bag.

Anyway plans so far.

72 tooth rear sprocket.
    10 tooth drive sprocket on hilliard clutch that engages at 1200rpm.
    And the motor will be a Honda GX200

This should allow for engagement speed to be 13mph and top speed of 30mph without any issues at all. If I make it top out at 3600rpm it will be doing about 39mph if my calculations are correct. But I would rather run lower rpm and get better gas mileage.

And here is the image of the bicycle now, there is no motor on it or anything but it should give a idea on how long it will be. Ohh and the slant is screwed up because its not welded.

Augi I cannot upload the images again :/ so its hosted on my space.

Note: I will be reinforcing the frame thats just a rough idea of what the size will be of a 1 foot 8 inch stretch limo bicycle!

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

that thing's gonna be a beast :shock:
    ...I LIKE IT !!! :lol:
  3. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

hey, nice frame :grin:

what brand motoryou usin? try postin some pix of the motor, that'll give us a better idea of what your trying to do. yet i dont really get why your gonna have a 72 tooth sprocket. i was thinkin as an experiment, try putting a larger sprocket on the engine, maybe 28 teeth. idk what size. and possibly 15 to 20 tooth sprocket on the wheel. it puts less stress on the engine by spinning less and making the wheel spin faster at lower rpm's. this is just somethin ive wanted to try. it would definately go way faster that 39 mph, pshhhh... :grin:

4. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Well I want to have a controllable gear ratio.... If I dont do that ratio engagement will be at 20mph+ and I do not want to burn out the clutch. I thought about it really long and hard on how I wanted to do it.

A 26 inch tire is 81 inch circumference. Play with the sprocket size and clutch engagement at 1200rpm and max 3600rpm.

If you were to do a 28/15 tooth. Acording to the calculator there you would be doing about 170 at clutch engagement.

Keep in mind its going to be Motor -> Shaft -> Clutch -> Sprocket -> Chain -> Sprocket -> Wheel

There is going to be no torque converters or anything. Raw engine power going to the wheels like a go kart. :shock:

Alright as for the engine.

It will be very similar to that.

Here is a mockup to a degree with gimp. It is kind of backwards but whatever :) it gives the idea...

5. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

I may just do a intermediate jackshaft to do a gearing ratio.

((72 / 26) * 44) / 10 = 12.18

Wind up with 12.18 gearing ratio. This would leave me with 2300rpm engagement remove the governor and allow it to go to 4800rpm for 30mph and 37mph at 6000rpm "pushing the motor really hard there. But 4800 is not bad at all and there are lots of people I am reading about running tecumseh without issues.

With that gearing ratio I should be able to climb a tree eh?
  6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Wow, that looks like it will be quite a little project. You said you will be raking the forks a little more right? It might be pretty squirly as it is now.

7. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Raking the forks?

It would be very squirly right now as its a hacked in half bike with steel pipes just setting there... I think the bike would fly in half :lol: The pipes were just balanced enough to hold the front and back up so I could show the new length it will look different once welded.

Are you saying the length would make it squirly?
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

I think he was talking about the angle of the front end :lol:
  9. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Not much rake+lotsa speed = squirly

The frame length is good, just rake the forks a little more.
  10. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Yeah the angle is all screwed up as its not welded or anything. I would show the final angle but I cant get it to hold there.
  11. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

hey, that calculator is great :grin: :grin: :grin:

the engine looks good on the bike but will need the gas tank seperate...

beautiful engine :cool: im thinkin of puttin a 6.0hp on a rack mount or on a trike with changeable gears with tork converter but i have no money right now and no way to get money so these ideas are mostly pointless...

i think your gear ratio will work gread! :grin:

12. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Herrmanator my engine is only going to be 100$ they are not expensive :)

I am going to spend less than 200$ I hope to do this.

Motor 100$, clutch 24$, sprocket 9$, Welding 20$, Chain 10$,

Misc bolts and stuff?!?! cant be more than 5$ :) I think I will be able to hit that target. The crankshaft will need to be turned down to make the clutch work but I am not worried

I will be using parts from the dax kit for throttle and stuff like that. I may use the gas tank that is on there however as it is 3qt vs half gallon.
  13. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

i live near one of those costco's and i buy alot of my tools there and recvently the gon tin these new motors that are basicly your honda replica 4 stroke engine thats 6.5hp, i forgot the brand name but it sounds good...idk... anyway, i looked at it thinkin it was gonna be like $350.00
    but instead it was $115.00 THATS AN AWESOME DEAL the engines kinda big but its definately packin some serious power, i think its about 197cc's
    its a great deal and im savin up for one.

14. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Hmm I will have to look at that. 6.5 horses for that cost?!?! wow that aint bad!
  15. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

they had a ton of them in stock at costco, i go there often. i whent to and they didnt have it on the site...but maybe when i get a hundred dollars i could sell you one, but thats pretty far ahead of me...its just an idea. theyre awesome motors, very compact, like i said, just like you average honda engine for basic duty.

ill get back to you on more info on the motor, jon
  16. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

I called the store here no such luck they do not have any small motored things at all. Although this is a desert. Maybe I asked wrong? What exactly was it on?
  17. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

hmmm...i dont really know, this is the costco in the greater new haven area of connecticut and they are a great store, i dont know how you could get one on the phone...sorry i have no addvice on that but i know that the one in new haven that i go to has the motors and they're beautiful, but ill try to get some money quickly and buy it, maybe two and i could sell them and get a little profit. haha. anyway, ill get back to ya if i get any info.

18. WOW, it appears I have 9 costco stores within 30 miles from me so maybe I could go scope those engines out.

I already have a project cooking up on the back burner but that engine might be useful later down the road.
  19. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

I wish that my costco had them :sad:

Ohh well back to the topic at hand. I have been holding out the verdict on what wheel I want for the rear. It all depends on the cost of what I can find. It may be a motorcycle, dirtbike or ATV I have not made my final decision. I have found inexpensive ATV's that would work wonderful for the rear tire and be a balloon at that. But I am going to go look at the mismatched ones they have at a local repair shop for a motorcycle soon.

Will let you know what I am doing shortly but whatever it is I am sure it will be neat :)
  20. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Updated the engine I am going to use changed plans. Adding more power BINFORD style!

:shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:

Honda 6.5 hp motor at 162cc its not much bigger than the Tecumseh but its got mountains more power!