Belt drive for 2cycle motor kits

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Ra1977, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Ra1977

Ra1977 New Member

Where is the the belt drive for these 2cycle kits. I know that chain is heavy.

2. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Doubt a belt pulley would fit where the sprocket goes on the engine.

3. Ra1977

Ra1977 New Member

Belt drive

Well I see those razor scooters have belt drive setups(yes I know some have chains) so I figured why not a MB. Of course the scooter setup prolly might not be strong enough though the cog on the motor is real small I think something could be made for these MB kits. I'm thinking a lot lighter than chain and safer

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

there's no way to adapt the existing design, you'd have to redesign half the motor or lead a chain to a pulley.

a chain is heavier sure, but we're talking mere ounces. if you want to drop a couple ounces off your bike then skip lunch. a chain delivers power more effectively anyway

5. Ra1977

Ra1977 New Member

What r u runnin .butre?
    if I'm allowed to ask
    I was wondering because I see those e200 razor scooters with belt drives. Obviously that setup may not work for the motors though.... Maybe something similar. I would prolly make a hole in the side of the cover to clear the width of the cog. My big QUESTION is would gearing ratios be the same. Because I see those one bikes with the big ol ring on the back wheel for a belt and I don't want that.

6. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

If the pulley is too wide to fit between the engine and clutch cover, how is the clutch going to work if you cut a hole through the cover to make it fit?

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I'm running a plain old 2 stroke China girl, but with a stuffed case, reed valve, and major port work. I know these engines inside and out and I'm telling you there's no way to go belt driven.

8. butre

butre Well-Known Member

you could maybe get away with welding the existing clutch shut, removing the drive side cover, and using a belt tensioner as the clutch but that's janky as hell

9. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

I have seen a belt driven China girl where the belt replaced the chain.

Don't know how well it held up though.