Belt driven bicycles

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sabala, Oct 16, 2008.

1. sabala

sabala Guest

I notice Trek has some belt drives in their line up... a little pricey of course!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/district/district/

I also found a couple articles on MTBR about belt driven bikes and a small article about Orange Bikes here. It mentions these bikes can only be single speed or internal hub.

Wikipedia has an article on belt driven bicycles with some links at the bottom.

I can just imagine riding around on my belt driven GEBE on a belt driven bike! I don't think GEBE recommends internal hubs though.

The bikes look like they're all using carbon fiber belts and not kevlar like the GEBE ones, would the carbon belts be more durable than the kevlar for belts? And what about a Staton kit using belt drives...possible?

I'd sure love to try one of those out though!

2. kerf

kerf Guest

Would be possible on a Staton with the exception of the left hand freewheel. It's this item that makes the Staton so good as it allows for no drag pedaling.

3. mabman

mabman Member

At Interbike in Vegas recently I had the opportunity to talk with one of the engineers for the Gates beltdrive system. He was well aware of the motor assist bike thing going on actually. The unfortunate thing with the system is that it requires a special type of frame so that you can install the continuous belt. Usually acheived with a split in the driveside dropout of some sort and special cogs with compatible teeth. At this time that means $$.

While I like the concept of this I really think it is addressing a problem that really isn't a problem. A bicycle chain is a pretty nice piece of engineering that has been around a long time and is readily available world wide. The only thing it requires is some simple maintainence that consists of some lube and a cleansing once in awhile and if you use the right lube you can even do both at once!

My favorite lube is T-9 Boeshield by the way and I have been using it for years now to maintain all our chains. The aerosol works the best, just spray on a section of chain and back wipe, repeat until the chain has been all done. Easy and quick.

4. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

umm.. why?

With about two seconds thought I solved that c-belt problem...

Get slightly longer belt - string to crank-side - string to wheel side - adjust and mount to small semi-fixed tensioner. Saves mucking about with the frame and creating weak points - I suspect they did it that way to be able to make more money out of it - instead of using the elegant engineering solution they used the $$ solution.

Plus I can see that gates belt stretching all to **** like the one on my GEBE has and you'll get slop and slip if there is no way to tension things up.

Where have all the engineers gone? in 1924 they could build a motorcycle engine that would fire up 90 years later with just its plugs and lubrication checked. Most things built these days would be lucky to be more than a large chunk of rusted metal in the same timeframe.

5. mabman

mabman Member

Yeah, but how are you going to get the belt around the chainstay? If you take off the drive chain on your bike you have to break it right? With the belt drive they have to have a way to break the frame to get in on as the belt itself can't be broken. Once again I don't think that there is enough of a problem with chains for me to want to switch over to belt drive any time soon anyway.

6. kerf

kerf Guest

Kind of a solution in search of a problem.

7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I agree. I don't see an advantage worth making the change.

8. sparky

sparky Active Member

But it's extra quiet, like ninja.

Plus, if it was extra dusty / sandy where you live... that'd prolly be the only real advantage over a chain that needs lubricant.