Bending rexhaust

you have to curl it on a curved surface equal to the pipe (like a pipe bending tool)

otherwise you have to cut out wedges, bend the pipe, and weld the edges together

oh so i cant simply heat and bend?? ive been told i shoudl be able to bend the exhaust with some heat?? i tried some heat but not til it was bright red only til i felt the heat exceeding through the banana bit

depends... how far are you bending, how thick is the pipe?

heating works fine if its only a few degrees, or you can stretch the bends across a few inches of the pipe. other wise the tubing starts flattening out, or kinks...

a pipe bender of some type with properly shaped formers if you can get the pipe into the thing.

the cut and weld is ok if you can weld thinwall tubing neatly, and dont try for huge angles on each section. much easier with heavy wall tubing. cut out a section on the inside, and weld it into the outside of the bend...

i normally, if its only a litte bend, just hold one end in the vice or on a piece of bar etc and bend away. steel is amazingly resilient. if i go too far and the pipe starts flattening across the bend, i just squash the flat section back by...putting it in the vice again! then the tube ends up sort of square in section, but hey...who cares... the pipe goes were it should now.

and theres the heat and kink method, you need an oxy/acetylene torch, as the heat is extremely focussed on one point. you simply heat a small section on the inside of the bend to red hot, and when bent, that hot(and now soft) part kinks outwards. you see that used a lot on large bore gas lines etc. done properly, the kink is on the outside. done badly, the kink is on the inside and restricts flow... it ends up looking a bit like this if done properly...

US1740524-0.jpg

each method has its pros and cons...

I used a mapp/pro blowtorch (yellow cylinder) to bend my crank arms (solid steel) and it got red hot in a few minutes. That thin walled hollow tubing should get red hot in about a minute. Heat it, bend it, let it cool at room temp. Don't touch it for about ten minutes. If you want to bend it inwards, which I'm assuming, then you can probably do it with the pipe on the bike. Just point the torch on the outside of the pipe where it's against the frame, then push on the end of the pipe in the direction you want it bent (use a pair of gloves or a thick rag in case the end of the pipe is hot). Then leave it alone till it cools.

If you don't need to bend it too much, the simplest method is to place the exhaust between the fork of a sturdy tree and then slip a large pipe over the top of it, to bend the exhaust to the desired angle.

There's another alternative if you only need to gain a little pedal clearance.

I've had good luck with drilling the exhaust mounting holes just a bit wider. You can't go far; there's not much space.

But once those holes are a bit wider, then you can simply swivel the muffler enough to clear the pedals and tighten it down.

cheapest way EMT/conduit bender
when done slowly does not kink thin wall tube
emt-bender.jpg
mandrel-bent-vs-press-bent-exhaust.jpg

best bender for thin wall tube in a mandrel tubing bender

computerized
1492.jpg

manual
rdb-100.jpg

pipe bender should not to be used to bend thin wall tubing the tubing does not fit the shoes correctly
pipe bender was used
P1010001-2.jpg

PIPE bender
Pipe_bender.jpg

Back