Exhaust bending the exhaust

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by artik, Mar 27, 2009.

1. artik

artik New Member

Hey guys, I have a problem with my bike's muffler. The muffler is directed into the pedals, causing them to jam up. I was going to bend the pipe at the top of the muffler to fix this but i'm not sure how to do this. I am planning on opening the bend in the muffler about 30 degrees out (it would go from acute to obtuse).

I have a friend with a tourch, he said we can braise it and then wack it with a hammer. I really don't want to compress the pipe and i was looking for any pointers. My muffler does not come appart, it was sent completely welded together.

Any tips or pointers are extreemly appreciated. I was thinking of going to a shop to get it done, but anyone knows where i can buy a muffler which has a larger angle, that would be awesome. The engine i have is the 80cc from www.bikemotorkit.com

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

don't bend it on the bike...you will break the engine
    put it in a vise and heat it cherry red, then bend it the way you want
  3. ENO

ENO Member

Hi Artik..Had the same problem and hated the way it just pointed down paralell with the frame....Had a bright idea...I took it to a Muffler Guy and had him cut off the flange / attach an "C" shape section and weld it on then re attach the flange to the new section..IT COST ME $35 AUS...It now sits nicely under the motor / clears the pedals and looks more like a muffler..its neat and I think it looks proportional to the motor and as I dont like those long extended mufflers it gives the bike a custom look but not a ridiculously long exhaust..Have just got it done so I dont know how it sounds yet.

Attached Files:

4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest