Bent Axle

S

stowaway

Ive gone through my second axle in as many months. they keep bending on me.. I do go up gutters and things.

is there any way of getting a stronger axle?? I just rung the bike shop and they want to replace my entire wheel for $250!@#@!

my advice would be to stop doing the gutter (curb) thing
with the added weight of the engine, you are asking for mechanical probs

hahaha! dont go up gutters and things, azkronic's right. 250bux for a wheel?! what is it solid gold? all bike shops here want 35 for a rear with coaster brake, which i just replaced cuz i forgot to tighten the spokes.

:cool:bending the front axle? just stop jumping curbs and gutters, put a stock rim and tire.

maybe you could upgrade to front suspension, but ya still gotta stop jumping curbs with a motorized bicycle.

Are you using a nutted axle (solid) or a quick release skewer (hollow) type. The words in parenthesis offer a clue as to which resists bending better.

did you mention if it was a front or rear.
was it sudden or did it give you some notice?
But YEAH ride smooth keep rubber on the road!

Bent Axle - Use Chromoly

In order of strength -
1) Quick release axle (weakest)
2) Steel solid axle
3) Chromoly solid axle (strongest)

The Chromoly steel axle is much stronger, but only slightly more expensive, than a stock steel axle ($8 vs. $6). In a bike shop, you have to ask for Chromoly. If you don't ask, you will get a standard steel replacement. Make sure that if you buy just the axle, that your axle nuts and cones have the same thread. I found that some national bike stores sell Chromoly bike axles that have unusual threads and don't carry the associated nuts.

I have a Chromoly axle on my drive wheel and have no more bent axles.

Back