Best 4 Cycle Motor Oil?

That's a great oil and should serve you well in protecting your engine. Just keep an eye out on oil consumption. Mobil 1 oils tend to be on the lower end of the viscosity range that the oil grade allows. For example, their 0W-30 weight is barely a 0w-30 and some consider it a heavy 0w-20 but it is within the API spec range for a 0w-30 but not by much.

Believe it or not, I use a special 0w30 in one of my diesel cars. It costs $13.00/quart but was designed for 10% better fuel economy without sacrificing engine protection. The extra 4mpg I got was worth the extra cost over the 10,000 mile oil change interval (oil is actually rated for 25,000 miles with oil analsyis).

Good luck with your ride.

I read somewhere that oil change intervals are longer than the well-known 3000 miles. 25,000 miles is news to me :)

Here's my take...as someone said earlier- everyone's got one....

I have been around and worked on small engines for 25 years. I have never seen an engine failure which I could ever say was, in any way, related to using the wrong oil- either weight, type or brand. I have seen plenty of engine failure from oil starvation, but that was because the oil was allowed to get low. Honestly, if you use a decent quality oil of the weight recommended, it seems you would be fine- change it when you are supposed to and check the level at every use and you will get long life.

My one caviat is that most of the engines I have used over my life have operated at a maximum of 3600 rpm. My little Honda is supposed to rev to 7800, so that will make a difference. I would still doubt, however, if brand matters as long as the weight is right and it us kept clean and full.

I read somewhere that oil change intervals are longer than the well-known 3000 miles. 25,000 miles is news to me :)

Oil change intervals on my VW are every 10,000 miles in the USA and with an onboard oil sensor only available in european models can be up to 25,000 miles with a specific type of VW approved oil. Many folks are doing 25k OCI (oil change intervals) with their vehicles if UOA (used oil analysis) supports it (oil analysis at a lab)

Oil changes intervals on my wife's Jeep Liberty CRD are 12,500 miles for her driving style and 6500 miles for stop/go city driving predominant style.

www.bogistheoilguy.com (BITOG for those in the know) is a great website to learn all about motoroils and ask questions about anything oil related in their forums. You may be lucky enough to chat online with a plastic surgeon who does his own oil changes on his million dollar Ferrari (and his other vehicles which are $$) to a lawnskeeper who wants to know what is the best oil for his lawnmower. I hang out there as much as I do here but I'm much less of a smart *** knowitall there as I am here.

I don't hear the fat lady yet

Tons of great info here. I have learned alot.

thanks to all!
You ain't getting off that easy. I've seen oil questions go on for YEARS! Where someone will search the thread and chime in after the trail's gone cold.LOL

So True

Here's my take...as someone said earlier- everyone's got one....

I have been around and worked on small engines for 25 years. I have never seen an engine failure which I could ever say was, in any way, related to using the wrong oil- either weight, type or brand. I have seen plenty of engine failure from oil starvation, but that was because the oil was allowed to get low. Honestly, if you use a decent quality oil of the weight recommended, it seems you would be fine- change it when you are supposed to and check the level at every use and you will get long life.

My one caviat is that most of the engines I have used over my life have operated at a maximum of 3600 rpm. My little Honda is supposed to rev to 7800, so that will make a difference. I would still doubt, however, if brand matters as long as the weight is right and it us kept clean and full.

That is the mechanical gospel truth!
I've always gone by that...never let the oil get low, never over-rev the engine, change the oil on a regular basis. Personally, when I see that the oil's gotten really black and it's been 3000 miles, I change it. Who cares if it's designed to last 25,000 miles. There are particles in the oil, and soot. That's abrasive. I take good care of my vehicles, car or motorized bike.

In my experience the best 4 cycle oil for autos motorcycles and any 4 cycle engine is royal purple of the proper viscosity, and changed frequently.

Back