Best (Affordable) 2-Stroke

Each province and city is different. Find out the rules for where you are.
Ride responsibly and under the radar. Wear a helmet, buckled.
Use a quiet muffler, shut the engine off in towns and around people.
Keep the speeds under 30kph and pedal at all times.
Odds are good you will never have a problem.

Steve

One shop said thay got a better motor because of the internals. Then the next shop sore it and said the same thing. motor on eBay called a 80cc now there all called 80 cc. I think all the motors are the same.

All of these motors are NOT the same.
Crankshaft balance, porting and manufacturing tolerances and quality control are the big differences.
The better engines with rev to 8500 rpm with little vibration, other only 5000.
The better engines have better porting, giving more power.
Better tolerances and quality control mean a smother running and longer lasting motor.

I own examples of each. My 2015 Grubee GT5A is an example of better quality (still not Japanese standards).
My un-named generic "80cc" example had small ports, low rpm, low power, loose crank, weak studs, etc.

Steve

I think we are talking about the unnamed generic 80cc that are rebranded or not rebranded. The Grubee is stated to be ported and balanced and etc. It is these generic kits that vary wildly in price with generic qualifications such as "best motor", "quality materials", and "many upgrades" (without listing upgrades) that I and others think are suspect and the same motors as the dirt cheap ones.

There are a number of performance 2-strokes (like your Grubee) and they are well worth the extra dollars for someone to inspect the actually motor, upgrade, and modify it for performance. However, many folks here are on a tight budget and this hobby/local transport is possible on a low budget if one takes time to really learn the engine and take care of it.

I think we are talking about the unnamed generic 80cc that are rebranded or not rebranded. The Grubee is stated to be ported and balanced and etc. It is these generic kits that vary wildly in price with generic qualifications such as "best motor", "quality materials", and "many upgrades" (without listing upgrades) that I and others think are suspect and the same motors as the dirt cheap ones.

There are a number of performance 2-strokes (like your Grubee) and they are well worth the extra dollars for someone to inspect the actually motor, upgrade, and modify it for performance. However, many folks here are on a tight budget and this hobby/local transport is possible on a low budget if one takes time to really learn the engine and take care of it.

I would not call the Grubee a "performance 2-stroke".
It is not inspected or modified and the price is only $200cdn ($140usd) delivered to my door.
It is a low dollar good choice in my opinion, and there may be others. A good place to start.
Saving $20-$30 on a no-name mystery alternative is poor economy, in my opinion.

Steve

I would not call the Grubee a "performance 2-stroke".
It is not inspected or modified and the price is only $200cdn ($140usd) delivered to my door.
It is a low dollar good choice in my opinion, and there may be others. A good place to start.
Saving $20-$30 on a no-name mystery alternative is poor economy, in my opinion.

Steve

Yeah, it looks like a good kit. I would still consider the Grubee GT5 upgrades as substantive versus the generic 2-stroke kits. I am referring to the rebranded engines with no visible changes or additions that are advertise as "best engine" or "quality parts". The prices for these based kits vary so wildly that is why many suspect something quarky going on.

I get all my motors from the same shop for the same price and have hade ones with small round port's and then big square one's. Intake on weird angels and shorter stroke. All look the same but same have better finish in and out I don't notice the difference till I tried changeing parts over. And it's enyones luck to which goes better. If there all off the same pallet y are thay so different to each other? And I have never seen enyone show the difference between a balanced bottom end and a non balanced one thay all seem to shake the same and sound the same so I can't tell and the speeds the same I just don't trust paying $200 or over for a so called better kit when there are kits for$130 that seem identical.

The Grubee did over 30mph right out of the box with the stock sprocket. Very little vibration even at the 35-38mph it does now, with all the stock parts. I bought a spare cylinder that is identical to the assembled cylinder. As luck will have it the spare cylinder will fit on the un-named engine, even if the side covers do not interchange. The un-named engine will not do 30mph and really loses it on hills. The Grubee was much better on hills and now with some light head work (with sandpaper!) and widening the ports the Gubee does hills much better.

The un-named motor has over 1mm of side play on the crank and the crank is not true.
I have it apart and will try to:
1) true the crank
2) shim the sideplay out of the crank
3) port the small port cylinder to match what I have done on the Grubee
4) already corrected the squish area in the head for a small improvement

Other faults on the un-named motor are
1) too tight clearance on one crank bearing and too loose on the other, both beyond expected tolerances.
2) sprocket not straight, wobbles.
3) Puller threads not cut deep enough, puller did not fit.
4) cylinder studs are angled. The drilling and tapping looked like it was done inaccurately. By hand?
5) the cylinder and head stud holes are not accurately spaced and different sizes by 0.5mm
6) 6mm studs were very brittle and not very strong, threads mangled easily.
7) all nuts were soft, had to replace. Stripped, galled or mangled threads at proper torque.

Buy from a reputable retailer. Quality varies greatly with these engines. Not worth saving $20.

Steve

I don't want to drag this point any longer. It looks like the Grubee is a winner. The problem is trying to figure out what exactly is a reputable dealer. I couldn't find the Grubee GT5 available from the US retailers and from Canada it is $160 (150+7). A cheap eBay kit is $100 so the Grubee is well over 50% more. Is it worth it? Probably for folks that are not extremely budget concious. But for $160 I think I would get a performance kit (4.5HP) instead for $199.

I buy from kingsmotorbikes customer service(for me) was great at the least, shippin is wat it is i ordered 50+ kits from them and no complaints
Or jnmotorsbikes i heard they inspect there kits before selling them only bought 2 from them but i can say both motors r still running almost 2 yrs i think and there customer bikes

Me personally i destory a motor every month or 2 im aggressive
1459171119457-1486650198.jpg

Back