Best Coaster Brake Hub for a Whizzer?

MaxGlide

Local time
11:56 AM
The Morrow hub that I rebuilt is not cutting it as far as stopping my Whizzer. When I try to engage it it feels like the teeth that are supposed to mesh are not locking and it is skipping with a ratcheting sound. If I really stand on it it works but when I release it, I get the ratchet sound.

Anyway, I am wondering what you all think is a good hub to use? It is a one inch pitch main sprocket which I assume means I have to rule out newer hubs.

Thanks in advance to all.

Wayne.

I don't know if rebuild parts are available but if they are I would go that route. I also have had good luck with the Shimano CB 110.
Do you have a front brake? If not please get one.

Jim

Morrow rebuild

Well I did rebuild it. Took it apart, completely cleaned it. All parts looked in real good shape with no wear showing exept the brass brake shoes so I found one that was in excellent shape. Greased the heck out of it. It worked at first though I had to stand on it to get it to engage with any force but it didn't skip. Now you cannot simply engage the brake without it bucking.

I do have a Sturmey Archer XF-D on the front. Thing is I'm in Vancouver Canada and there are lots of hills here so I want to spread out the braking duties.

I'll check out the Shimano.

Thanks.... Wayne

Wayne, I suggest the Shimano CB-E110 as well. I have that brake on three of my four motorized bikes (including my Whizzer). The fourth one has a New Departure Model D brake, a brake that has to be adjusted just right to avoid it becoming red hot while riding. As a result I generally do not suggest that brake unless one is extremely familiar with either adjusting it correctly or rebuilding it once the lubricant has all liquified and oozed out due to the excessive heat.

Shimano CB-E110

I notice that the this hub comes in a .105. My rear wheel has .120 spokes with brass nipples. I would like to use those as the brass looks cool. Will the .120 (or 10 gauge) spokes fit in there, and if not, is there enough metal left for me to drill out the spoke holes to make them fit?

Also, can anybody tell me the hub diameter of this hub. The Morrow is 2.5 inches or 63.5mm. Wondering if I need different length spokes.

thanks..... Wayne

Last edited:
Drilling out the hub

Sears and probably others, has a 1/8" carbide ball nose cutter for the dremel tools. Iv'e used it a few times in a drill press at high speed to open a hub, and it goes through like butter. Feed it slow to keep from chipping the carbide.
Geo.

Back