Best commercial electric bike

The Cyclone kits are a great bolt on non-hub kit, my e-biking buddy has the 1000watt version its very nice setup, they do have a 'questionable' freewheel crank though, have seen a few 'reports of them breaking' (this can be rectified by replacing it with higher quality freewheel like the ENO for example) If your handy type though the RC motor setups are great power and very light you will need the ESC and servo tester (for a throttle) downside you will need a reduction drive unit of some kind to reduce gearing to ~10:1 before it hits the crank...As mentioned above Recumpence makes nice drive units contact him via his website, he sells them from $US200 to bolt the motor of your choice in, he will 'mod' thee unit to suit the motor you buy... MitchJi you look familiar :p

Best of luck

KiM

cyclone kits

the cyclone kits are comming from Taiwan the country im in now
1500-2000usd is to much I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu-C2mk6p1E

This guys making a cool bike but honestly I hate range limitations
And the heavyness factor

Theres only 4 things electric that I can think of worth buying

Nissan leaf 80+mph 100Miles on a charge
Tesla roadster 0-60 in 3.8 140-150mph over 100 miles on a charge
Inzio sports car same as Tesla but faster and goes further
Brammo Sports Bike 100mph and 100miles on a charge

out of all of them at 13000 the brammo bikes the only one
I could possibly afford

as for a 3k usd ebike I will be a buyer when It can go 100 miles
or atleast alot more then just 20-30 miles

isnt that hard to get a 100 mile range in an electric--can do easily for a lot less then 3k

but just my thoughts that is not where electrics will find their biggest use--short trips around town replacing cars for many small errands would be their strong suits--or people like me who can actually use one with a 20 mile range as their primary transportation

Agreed.

If to and from one way there and back 20-30 miles is ok.
A lot of people never think to drive 100 miles a day on a bike.
But if you run multiple errands around town its surprising how fast you can rack up 50-100 miles.

The chevy volt was designed that way also, to go 30 miles a day all electric
without a recharge for the average commuter.

But in the test group 80% of people triggered the on board gasoline generator
meaning they surpassed the 30 mile mark.

I cant really compare a car to a bike but if your doing more then to and from on a bike I still think gas is the way to go for now.

After long study of whats available, I find a 1000 watt gear-less, brush less hub motor, a standard 35 amp controller(cruise control type) and a 48 volt 12 ah brick LiPo battery mounted in a light frame, like a mens 21 inch aluminum 700c wheeled commuter bike should get at least 60 miles on a charge if ridden conservatively with a reasonable load.
Since I'm an UNREASONABLE load (270 lbs + gear) I would probably get less, approximately 35 to 50 miles per charge.
Still enough for my daily 31.2 mile commute to and from work with a small safety factor built in.
The problem for me is the price of the Lipo battery and the ridiculous cost of shipping-

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/

GoldenMotor lists just such a set up for around $1100.00 shipped, that's without the bike itself.
A bit pricey for my tastes just to go green.
For now? until the price of LiPos comes down? ill stick with my Morinis and China dolls.
BBB

for a great electric bike that is well made--lots of options available--even more then listed on there website--great warranty--two years covers everything---and a pretty fair price--runs with lipo4s in the 1000 dollar range--i am the proud owner of two of their bikes

http://www.prodecotech.com/prodeco_008.htm

if you decide to give them a call tell richard their salesman jeff and theresa from arkansas said hey

they are a newer company who decided to build electric bikes with quality components for a reasonable price

I a look at Prodecos line up and i have to say im impressed... there 500 watt 36 v 12 ah Phantom X looks like a good deal...BUT the bikes still not rated for heavy riders... at the very bottom of the spec sheet you will see its only got a 220lb weight limit...(about 60lbs short of my usual all up riding weight, yeah i know, im a Clydesdale...)
But for a lighter rider? it looks like a great deal, I especially like there battery technology and warranty policy... id say go for one if your under 200lbs... folding bikes don't like fat guys.
good deal...
BBB

Last edited:
hey buzbike--may not be rated but i am on the smallest folder--live in an apartment and space is a big issue--i havent seen 220 in a long time--i am 6foot 2inch and around 240--the bike hauls me around just fine--i also installed a basket in front and haul a trailer with it all the time--if anything i would say these bikes are overbuilt and underrated ---just my thoughts

Well lazarus, you might be right...I' used to the kind of acceleration afforded by a good well tuned 2 stroke, so im kinda spoiled...
Due to local ordinance, My next ride will be an electric.
I feel ya about the space limits of Apt. living.
Its great to see you had a good experience on that folder, it looks very well made and it should last a long time.
I'm looking for a bit more.
Stay tuned...
BBB

Back