Best Engine for a first time motorbiker?

beavisandb

Local time
1:32 PM
Hi there, I'm new to the forum!

I've wanted to add a motor to my mountain bike for quite some time (since I was 12). Now that I'm older (in college) and actually have money, I decided to do it.

Due to the overwhelmingly positive responses about Thatsdax.com , I want to purchase from him. Almost bought from bikeberry.com, but I was dissuaded by some youtube videos of mad customers.

I want something reliable, easy to install, and that can get to 30 MPH. I would strongly prefer chain or belt driven. Navigating thatsdax.com, I wasn't sure what would be best for me. What's under $220-200 that will keep me happy and motoring for a while?

Thanks,
I hope this is the first of many posts for me

Welcome to the forum,

When looking for a kit and being a first time builder, ask your self some questions. 1. What is my mechanical ability? 2. Do you know how or are willing to work on small engines, bicycles and capable of manufacturing parts. 3. Do you have tools or have access to tools? 4. Are you willing to listen to others advice? 5. Are you willing to do some research and ask questions? 6. What does your State and or local jurisdiction allow you to operate? 7. Does your State require licensing or registration? 8. Are you able to make repairs or willing to spend money on constant maintenance? 9. Is reliability important? 10. Can you wait longer and save money for a better product?

Now that we got that out of the way, what type of engine do you want? A 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? In frame, rear or front drive? You stated you want a belt or chain drive. Thatsdax.com sells all those options. Personally, I wouldn't go with the F50/F80 and GT50 unless you are mechanical and have the ability to work on engines, especially if reliability is important. The F50/F80 can be made into a reliable engine if properly setup and refined with constant maintenance if used as a daily rider. The GT50 is a pocket bike engine that have problems with clutch springs constantly breaking. The 4 stroke gearbox - I would say questionable.

In my opinion, Thaxdax.com friction drive kits are his best products. His 4 stroke Titan engines are good as Huashengs 49cc. He does sell a 5:1 gearbox that you can mount to his friction drive kits. He use to have a video on how to set it up, but I don't see it anymore on his website. Here's YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBFM3xVG6ts. If your interested give Duane a call and he can probably give you an idea of costs. I don't know how good that gearbox is.

Lastly, do your research on this forum and http://motorbicycling.com/. There is generally someone that has done it. Look at the different vendors and read reviews on the vendors from posts by the members. Look at the "Stickies" posted under each topic.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

If you are a tinkerer, build a motorbike with a frame mounted motor.
The friction drive motors are easier to install and maintain, in most cases.
We have a legal and legislation subforum on this site to help you with licensing info.

I don't have a lot of experince as a tinkerer, which has been putting me off from doing this. The friction drive kits are a pretty attractive option, and I think that would be best for me....however they're all $300+ :eek: . As a college student, I can't really afford that. Am I just looking at the wrong websites, or are they really that expensive?

If your not a tinkerer then save some more money and get a quality product. Those cheaper 2 stroke kits are going to cause you headaches and time which you probably don't have as a student. Remember, you only get what you pay for.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

The bottom line is: do you want to ride your bike most of the time?

Or do you want to fix it most of the time?

In the first case buy quality utility type 2 or 4 stroke motor with quality drive like Staton, Gebe or american made friction drive (BMP, Tadax)

In the second case buy cheap "china girl".

It is really that simple, no extensive and long preaching or tirades needed.

The bumblebee bolt on kit will cost you around $270 shipped. That is a cheap as it gets for a good friction kit.
A china girl motor kit will cost well south of $200.

Back